The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wasn't as bad as it looked

Ugli Fruit

I do agree with the opinions presented in this thread.

But let's put it into perspective. Edler gave away the puck - cost a goal. Garrison gave away the puck - cost a goal. These were only a few minutes in time.

Both these giveaways are from expensive defensemen. They were sloppy plays that Tanev (and to an extent Ballard when paired with Tanev) did not reproduce in this game.

Lapierre took an untimely and very unnecessary penalty which killed the momentum and cost us a goal. He did nothing for us this game and he usually does produce, so it was definitely an off-game for him. He's not super expensive but not cheap.

Raymond took a bad penalty too when he could have easily let the guy go - it was a race to the puck to the corner, not to the slot. It was just a lazy penalty. Raymond had a great game last game, but a very mediocre to bad game in SJ.

Sedins were "ok" offensively but they were running around defensively (which in their defense, wouldn't have happened if the defense helped them out).

Hamhuis and Bieksa were invisible basically.

Schroeder and Hansen were the best two forwards in this game for the Canucks while Ballard/Tanev were the best defensemen.

Ebbett was fairly invisible, but he had some strong forecheck moments and didn't cost us a goal/penalty unlike some of the above regulars.

IMHO... Edler deserves some flack for the giveaways he's been doing lately. It's become a habit actually. He might be overthinking the game.

Garrison? He's given a couple of giveaways too.

Not to make excuses but the SJ ice was pretty awful too, which plays a factor but wasn't the reason why the Canucks lost. The Canucks lost it themselves, largely because of regular players making some mistakes that they shouldn't be making.

We played a bad game against a very good team. Sure luck is a factor but so is hard work and the Sharks down-right outskilled and outworked us.

Right now our special teams and defence are horrible, and those are responsibilities of the assistant coaches. This is a trend running back to last playoffs and the last half of the season.

Newell Brown and Bowness need to be replaced. AV is fine, he knows how to get the most out of his players, but there's no use if they're playing with horrible defensive systems and shocking special teams play.

I think Luongo should have started tonight and AV should have given tomorrow nights' game to Cory. Makes more sense, match-up wise. We know Lu can outplay Niemi, and he's proved it. But neither goalie did particularly well against the Kings, so why not throw in Schneider then, since apparently nobody blames him for losses.

If Luongo had lost that way tonight, which I know would not have happened, a good percentage of the fans would be asking for his head on a platter. The simple fact is that Schneids, while we know has potential, is playing very inconsistently. I would go with Luongo for a few games in a row and let him get on a roll.

Isn't Lapierre playing with a groin pull?? Put Manny in. I agree, I think it is time to put Burrows back on the top line and run with that, at least we have one line that is capable of scoring. When Bieksa and Hamhuis are playing well they are a great shut down pairing but right now they are playing catch up, I kind of like having them split up being the defensive aspect whereas Garrison and Edler can roam a little more. Still waiting on Garrison to one time that shot in.

How would the Sharks be doing now if they lost their 2nd line?

We do have some rust -Hamhuis, Beiksa, Edler, (Garrison adjusting to new team), Burrows, Higgins and Lapiere. By next week i expect them to be game ready.

We will still struggle without a 2nd line. Higgy Burrows Hansen is not a second line on a good team. A SC finals team does not have Burrows as their 2nd line C.

I do not want to see Kassian fighting every game, although I realize he was approached by Clowe. He is the new kid on the block and I am concerned that he will be challenged a lot. Hopefully, AV will make sure that other players will jump in if this starts to happen. We cannot afford to have him in the penalty box for long periods.

The PP is stale and predictable, similar to the final 30 games of last year. Why is there no creativity? The system isn't working, but they continue to play the same.

SJ were up for the game and hit the ice running. The Nucks were unprepared and had to play catchup after the first 5 mins.

I expect a better result tonight, but won't be surprised if they lose. Remember last October they were 5-5-1? Without a 2nd line, I can't see them being in the top of the WC, but I am hopeful they can get into the playoffs.

Go Canucks Go

It actually wasn't as bad as it looked. 2 early giveaway's end up in our net. If Pannick Hansen scores on his breakaway, the second goal would not have happened. If Lapierre doesnt take a stupid penalty when we have all the momentum, They don't restore the 2 goal lead going into the 3rd. So all in all, 3 glaring mistakes lead to goals.

When we get one of the best penalty killers in the league back. Our PK will not be so easy to score on. And as bad as Some may think David Booth is. He will defeinately be an upgrade over Raymond, Ebbett, Higgins, Hansen.

Archived