The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Logical Theory on the Future of Our Goaltending

Hectic

First off, I'd like to mention that this post will have absolutely nothing to do with what has gone on in the first 5 games of the season. It has come to my attention that there has many mixed emotions when it comes to our situation in net - here's my opinion of what the current state is and what I believe would be the best decisions to make.

Considering that this is a shortened season, I would have no problem with having both Lu and Schnieder. I remember back in the day when we had Cloutier and Bob Essensa (I know..) and Crawford would rotate the goalies and keep playing one until they lost, and then would ride the next one (no pun intended). My only concern with this would be in the playoffs.. And that's why I'll explain my next point.

I agree that Luongo's contract is a tough one to hang on to. I understand that Luongo will not be in his "prime" for the duration of his contract. However, I'm also very aware that Lu will be regarded as one of the best goaltenders of all time. I'm also very confident in the fact that for the next 2-4 years, Luongo will still be considered a great goalie in this league, and essentially in his "prime." What about the rest of our team? Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, and Hamhuis can be considered as part of our core, and together will be in their "prime" for another.. Lets say 2-4 years for simplicity's sake. Now if we were to trade Schneider, we still have a full team in their prime, plus the return for Schneider (which IMO would be greater than the return for Luongo). However, if we trade Luongo, we are essentially moving to a goaltender who isn't in his prime, and in a holistic sense downgrading in that position. I understand fully that Schneider will be a goalie of the future. However, if our cup window is closing, we may as well go all in, and win this thing in the next 2-4 years when our whole team is in its prime, PLUS the return for Schneider PLUS the development of Kassian and Shroeder.

I hope that all made sense. I've been thinking it for a while now, and when everyone says "Oh hey Hectic (because that's what I go by), when do you think they'll trade Luongo?" I tell him "I think it would be foolish for them to do that.." for all the above reasons. And of course they don't get it, because they are bandwagon fans. But I know there are some legitimate hockey fans here, and if this makes sense and is valid in your opinion, then Hectic is happy.

I agree with u, the media puts so many twists on this, and they put words in MG's mouth.

I wouldnt be surprised if Schneider is just as much "on the block" as Lu is... And i wouldn't be disapointed with any of the options going forward, as they are both awesome goalies.

Good points though

The goaltender is the most important player oN the ice. Especially in the playoffs (look at who's won the Conn Smythe the previous two years). So we should hang on to the best goaltender we've got, and if the management believes that this is Schneider, then we should hang on to him.

try calculating our cap and payroll for next year @ 64,300,000 with Luongo on the books.. Its literally impossible to fill a full 25 man roster if we don't loose either Luongo's or Ballard's (or someone else's) with all the other contracts we already have signed. And thats without resigning role players like Higgins, Lapierre and Raymond...

Myself and mostly every Canucks fan loves Luongo and Ballard etc... but unfortunately its just not possible to keep all our players with the new CBA salary cap. Gillis has no other option then make a trade.

try calculating our cap and payroll for next year @ 64,300,000 with Luongo on the books.. Its literally impossible to fill a full 25 man roster if we don't loose either Luongo's or Ballard's (or someone else's) with all the other contracts we already have signed. And thats without resigning role players like Higgins, Lapierre and Raymond...

Myself and mostly every Canucks fan loves Luongo and Ballard etc... but unfortunately its just not possible to keep all our players with the new CBA salary cap. Gillis has no other option then make a trade.

So your theory is that the Canucks can win the Stanley Cup with Luongo as our starter and the return we get for Schneider in a trade.

Now that Luongo is another year older I guess his issue of getting scored on too many times in certain playoff games has vanished, correct? I'm sorry but I sincerely doubt that.

I dont really like beating the same old dead horse but chances are, no matter who's on our team, Luongo's playoff inconsistencies will continue. And if that is the case (which it probably is) we wont be winning anything except division titles. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Schneider is the man now and is only entering his prime, Luongo will be 34 this year and is arguably beyond that. Therefore moving Schneider instead would be foolish because the goaltender is usually regarded as the most important player on any team. This of course is only my opinion and I'm sure not everyone will agree.

As for Luongo being regarded as one of the best goaltenders of all time. Personally i think that's being very very optimistic. He will most definitely rank high in career regular season statistics but other than that there is nothing to warrant him being mentioned with the likes of Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Dominik Hasek, and the other greats from years past. A couple of Vezinas and a Stanley Cup or two could change that, but that is a lot to ask for at this stage of his career.

Myself and mostly every Canucks fan loves hates Luongo and Ballard etc... but unfortunately its just not possible to keep all our players with the new CBA salary cap. Gillis has no other option then make a trade.

I've said this all along.

Schneider is nowhere near his prime yet. He hasn't even had a full season as starter. He hasn't played much playoff hockey, he hasn't been in big games yet. These experiences are what moulds a goalie - even young goalies like Quick and Rinne have been through a few years of playoff failure before they could put it together and play well in the post-season.

Schneider will take another couple of years before he's ready to become a Cup-challenging goalie. Right now he has no idea what it's like to play under the pressure of a starting goalie let alone in the playoffs. Luongo on the otherhand does. He's been through all the big games, won big games and lost them and has developed more and more over the last 5 odd years so that he may put it all together now.

We don't have time for Schneider to put all these experiences together, because the rest of our core players will be well past their prime then. Stick with Luongo, who's grown and developed with the rest of our core like the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis.

Schneider is nowhere near his prime yet. He hasn't even had a full season as starter. He hasn't played much playoff hockey, he hasn't been in big games yet. These experiences are what moulds a goalie - even young goalies like Quick and Rinne have been through a few years of playoff failure before they could put it together and play well in the post-season.

Schneider will take another couple of years before he's ready to become a Cup-challenging goalie. Right now he has no idea what it's like to play under the pressure of a starting goalie let alone in the playoffs. Luongo on the otherhand does. He's been through all the big games, won big games and lost them and has developed more and more over the last 5 odd years so that he may put it all together now.

We don't have time for Schneider to put all these experiences together, because the rest of our core players will be well past their prime then. Stick with Luongo, who's grown and developed with the rest of our core like the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis.

48 games.

Solid goaltending duo.

I do not subscribe to subtracting 1 of the 2 stellar options in the team's last line of defence.

Pretty damn simple what should play out.

The team's most pressing concern is shoring up responsibility with the center position through the 4 lines.

I believe the decision's already been made, but it's just a matter of the right deal coming along. The writing's on the wall and this is Schneid's team from what I can gather. I'm ok with that - I'm not ok with the fans deciding on a game by game basis. Goaltenders will be have good & bad games, you don't trade or raise the cup each win/loss.

I love Lu and hate the fact that he'll be leaving...but, to me anyhow, it's apparent that he will be. I feel that he's had as much a say in that as anyone at this point.

First off, I'd like to mention that this post will have absolutely nothing to do with what has gone on in the first 5 games of the season. It has come to my attention that there has many mixed emotions when it comes to our situation in net - here's my opinion of what the current state is and what I believe would be the best decisions to make.

Considering that this is a shortened season, I would have no problem with having both Lu and Schnieder. I remember back in the day when we had Cloutier and Bob Essensa (I know..) and Crawford would rotate the goalies and keep playing one until they lost, and then would ride the next one (no pun intended). My only concern with this would be in the playoffs.. And that's why I'll explain my next point.

I agree that Luongo's contract is a tough one to hang on to. I understand that Luongo will not be in his "prime" for the duration of his contract. However, I'm also very aware that Lu will be regarded as one of the best goaltenders of all time. I'm also very confident in the fact that for the next 2-4 years, Luongo will still be considered a great goalie in this league, and essentially in his "prime." What about the rest of our team? Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, and Hamhuis can be considered as part of our core, and together will be in their "prime" for another.. Lets say 2-4 years for simplicity's sake. Now if we were to trade Schneider, we still have a full team in their prime, plus the return for Schneider (which IMO would be greater than the return for Luongo). However, if we trade Luongo, we are essentially moving to a goaltender who isn't in his prime, and in a holistic sense downgrading in that position. I understand fully that Schneider will be a goalie of the future. However, if our cup window is closing, we may as well go all in, and win this thing in the next 2-4 years when our whole team is in its prime, PLUS the return for Schneider PLUS the development of Kassian and Shroeder.

I hope that all made sense. I've been thinking it for a while now, and when everyone says "Oh hey Hectic (because that's what I go by), when do you think they'll trade Luongo?" I tell him "I think it would be foolish for them to do that.." for all the above reasons. And of course they don't get it, because they are bandwagon fans. But I know there are some legitimate hockey fans here, and if this makes sense and is valid in your opinion, then Hectic is happy.

Interesting post. I've been thinking lately about the top 5 goalies in the league and the top 3 are a slam dunk: Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne. Then I try to figure out who rounds out the top 5 by thinking about what other goalies have been the best and most consistent and I can't help but come back to Luongo. His stats the last 4 seasons:

2008/2009: 33-13-7, 2.34 GAA, .920 Save%, 9 shutouts

2009/2010: 40-22-4, 2.57 GAA, .913 Save%, 4 shutouts

2010/2011: 38-15-7, 2.11 GAA, .928 Save%, 4 shutouts (VEZINA NOMINATION)

2011/2012: 31-14-8, 2.41 GAA, .919 Save%, 5 shutouts

What's my point? It's easy to forget while he's riding the pine that Luongo is still probably among the best goalies in the league. Other than the big 3 of Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick, what goalie has really been better than him during the last 3 or 4 seasons? I definitely think this team should be going with the younger goalie but I also make sure to give credit where credit is due and that is to Luongo for being one of the best goalies in the league, but just caught in an unfortunate, awkward situation. If the Canucks didn't have Cory Schneider, or even if they did but Schneider wasn't simply as good as he is, none of us would be having this discussion.

Interesting post. I've been thinking lately about the top 5 goalies in the league and the top 3 are a slam dunk: Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne. Then I try to figure out who rounds out the top 5 by thinking about what other goalies have been the best and most consistent and I can't help but come back to Luongo. His stats the last 4 seasons:

2008/2009: 33-13-7, 2.34 GAA, .920 Save%, 9 shutouts

2009/2010: 40-22-4, 2.57 GAA, .913 Save%, 4 shutouts

2010/2011: 38-15-7, 2.11 GAA, .928 Save%, 4 shutouts (VEZINA NOMINATION)

2011/2012: 31-14-8, 2.41 GAA, .919 Save%, 5 shutouts

What's my point? It's easy to forget while he's riding the pine that Luongo is still probably among the best goalies in the league. Other than the big 3 of Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick, what goalie has really been better than him during the last 3 or 4 seasons? I definitely think this team should be going with the younger goalie but I also make sure to give credit where credit is due and that is to Luongo for being one of the best goalies in the league, but just caught in an unfortunate, awkward situation. If the Canucks didn't have Cory Schneider, or even if they did but Schneider wasn't simply as good as he is, none of us would be having this discussion.

Obviously how a goalie plays in the playoffs counts more than how he plays his first few games out of a lockout. Goalies react differently to time off, new situations, etc. Also, some of the teams are struggling in the defensive zone, leaving their goalies out to dry (Cory had no chance on 3/4 goals last night).

Mikka Kiprusoff - 4 GP, 3.44 GAA, .872 Sv%

Mike Smith - 3 GP, 4.62 GAA, .836 Sv%

Cam Ward - 3 GP, 4.71 GAA, .845 Sv%

Archived