The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Logical Theory on the Future of Our Goaltending

Hectic

2010-11 Playoffs

Luongo's GAA was 2.56 (10th), Save% was .914 (9th)

2009-10 Playoffs

3.22 GAA (15th), .895 Save% (14th)

2008-09 Playoffs

2.52 GAA (6th), .914 Save% (9th)

Considering there's only 16 teams in the playoffs, these stats are below average.

Yes - with Campbell on their 2nd pairing and Versteeg and Ladd on their 3rd line.

Even then, they may not have won if Leighton/Boucher had kept up their insane goaltending from earlier in the playoffs. But they came back down to earth HARD, and completely crapped the bed in the finals.

I disagree. Schneider is the now, and Schneider is the future. Better technically, and the team seems more confident when he's in net. Trade Luongo for a top 6 center(if we can somehow) or more realistically for some size/grit/toughness for our bottom 6.

So...you're agreeing then?  That the Canucks issue isn't goal tending, that it's the supporting cast that makes a difference?

Else why would you mention Campbell, Versteeg and Ladd?

Don't get me wrong - I expected more then what Luongo delivered and my expectations are just as high (if not higher) for Schneider (as he is displacing Luongo so he better earn it).  I just don't see how we could have won the last 2 playoff series with any goalie.

At this point im not really sure who's better. He's better positionally by a hair (lluongo's been real good in that dept since 2008/2009 offseason) Lluongo IMO has the faster glove but often gets had in breakaway/shootout situations because he moves first. Schneiders stickwork leaves a lot to be desired where as lluongo's is at least average if not better.

As for confidence, it could be argued that the big body kassian has more to do with confidence as a whole. Team has been playing crap defence since late january last year. Doesnt matter who's in net, The real problem is in defencemen coaching. schneider get's undressed just as bad as lou when you give up a bjaillion 2 on 1's because of ill-advised pinching and turnovers. Both goalies have endured serious adversity due to this problem and IMO did better then they should have.

FFS imagine where we would be right now if we had bryz from philly in net. 3/4 of the canuck nation would immigrate to Oilerville. Id say good riddens to the lot of you too.

This goes back to what I said earlier about the irony of Luongo supporters, who say the problem is the rest of the team.

The only way to build a team FULL of young superstars, like the 2008-09 Penguins or 2009-10 Blackhawks, is to do a complete rebuild, and tank HARD. Multiple years of bottom-feeding and top-5 picks. And even then, you have to have a little luck (Pittsburgh winning Crosby lottery, Chicago having depth picks like Keith and Buffy pan out so well). It doesn't always work (just ask Columbus and Florida). If there's any chance of Vancouver doing this in the near future, then the answer is still to trade Luongo - perhaps even trade Luongo AND Schneider.

But of course, that is not going to happen. So we're forced to make a run with a more veteran-laden team, like Boston, Detroit, and Carolina (to an extent) did. What was the constant factor in their cup wins? They got the best goaltending.

The only way to overcome average goaltending to win the cup seems to be having MULTIPLE star players, which is only possible if many are on cheap contracts (most often ELC's). If you don't have that, but are stuck with a team balanced by cap restrictions, you need the best goaltending you can get.

My point is that we have a lot of good players signed but unfortunately we can't keep them all.. the new CBA has changed things, and a luongo trade is unfortunately the best solution since his cap @6.7 mill next year is our biggest and we have Schneids and lack combined for cheaper.

Get ???? real, there is NO CHANCE AT ALL this team trades Schneider and keeps Luongo. It's not even an argument any more to management and it is obvious. They are shopping one guy around and not even entertaining deals for the other.

Canucks scored 2 goals in the first two games against the Kings. That was enough to win games 3-5, with the goaltending Schneider was giving us. To win a series against a hot team with an elite goaltender, you need that kind of goaltending.

2 goals a game is not enough to win a series. Even if it somehow does, it's still a terrible strategy going in.

And we certainly didn't have trouble scoring goals in the 3 series we played against the Chicago Blackhawks. But I don't have to re-hash how those series turned out. Speaking of the Hawks, they are now 6-0, and very much looking to be a contender in the West. If we face them in the playoffs, which goaltender would you feel more comfortable having in net?

like I said, our offence has been fine until the sj series was over. And if we played Chicago, at this point, I'd be more comfortable with Lu in net. He's shown he can bail this team out when the offence disappears in the biggest game we've ever played against the Hawks.

It doesn't matter how good a goalie plays in 3/7 games in a series, if he doesn't even give you A CHANCE to win the 4th game.

This is just ridiculous. Did you even watch game 7? Don't use Lu as a scapegoat for that game.

There's a reason why Schneider will get a better return. Everyone knows that, right now, he's a better goalie, not to mention cheaper, and with his whole career ahead of him. His stats last year put Luongo's to shame. They weren't even CLOSE!

Age and potential are the only reasons. He has yet to prove that he is the better goalie. That last statement really shows that you eat up everything the media feeds you. Cory put Luongo to shame?? Words cannot describe... :picard:

Interesting post. I've been thinking lately about the top 5 goalies in the league and the top 3 are a slam dunk: Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne. Then I try to figure out who rounds out the top 5 by thinking about what other goalies have been the best and most consistent and I can't help but come back to Luongo. His stats the last 4 seasons:

2008/2009: 33-13-7, 2.34 GAA, .920 Save%, 9 shutouts

2009/2010: 40-22-4, 2.57 GAA, .913 Save%, 4 shutouts

2010/2011: 38-15-7, 2.11 GAA, .928 Save%, 4 shutouts (VEZINA NOMINATION)

2011/2012: 31-14-8, 2.41 GAA, .919 Save%, 5 shutouts

What's my point? It's easy to forget while he's riding the pine that Luongo is still probably among the best goalies in the league. Other than the big 3 of Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick, what goalie has really been better than him during the last 3 or 4 seasons? I definitely think this team should be going with the younger goalie but I also make sure to give credit where credit is due and that is to Luongo for being one of the best goalies in the league, but just caught in an unfortunate, awkward situation. If the Canucks didn't have Cory Schneider, or even if they did but Schneider wasn't simply as good as he is, none of us would be having this discussion.

Archived