The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "Drop Pass"

six-0h-four-

I don't think its the drop pass thats the problem. Its the loss of momentum gained by it by cycling the puck for 30 seconds until it is taking away or they get so desperate they take bad angle or unscreened shots that are easily stopped. You want to screw with their heads and be unpredictable? Have our first line actually shoot the puck, including Henrik, within 5 seconds of gaining the zone. Then everyone will be like "wtf? did Hank just shoot the puck?"

I don't think its the drop pass thats the problem. Its the loss of momentum gained by it by cycling the puck for 30 seconds until it is taking away or they get so desperate they take bad angle or unscreened shots that are easily stopped. You want to screw with their heads and be unpredictable? Have our first line actually shoot the puck, including Henrik, within 5 seconds of gaining the zone. Then everyone will be like "wtf? did Hank just shoot the puck?"

The problem is not the drop pass, if done correctly it's a good way to enter the zone. But right now the 1st pp unit does it everytime, an other reason why it's not effective at the moment is that the player receiving the puck isn't Kesler. You need speed, skill and "power" to enter the zone like that.

I mentioned early on in this thread that Edler had done just that, several games ago.

And you are correct. It gives the Canucks another option on the play and makes the PK play it honestly, instead of selling out to the back pass.

If was a terrible idea, other teams wouldn't be copying it, which they are. I see more and more teams use this for gaining entry on the PP. The idea of it makes sense. You push back the defenders and once you've made the drop pass the puck carrying is facing a bunch of guys who are for the most part caught flat footed.

Yes, the Canucks went through a period of time where they did it way to often and it became predictable. Yes it can back fire when not executed properly, but you can say the same about many set plays. The threat of it alone has caused teams to leave room for a straight entry. I think the most telling thing is the fact that more and more teams have started using this the Canucks had success with it.

Absolutely right. It generally requires speed to be effective, because that opens up some ice for the trailer who receives it. The clip of Edler screwing up is a good example of what happens when you're not going fast enough to turn the defender who's on you- he anticipates the drop pass and goes for the puck instead. This is why good hockey players can't be completely stupid- they have to make rapid judgements in context. The other part of the story is that you have to have more than one way to get things done, different ways of supporting the puck-carrier. When we look bad or predictable, a lot of it is lazy puck support.

P/P Regardless if the opposition know what's going to happen it still wrong foots them. The opposition must back up at the speed of the first puck carrier ... if they don't he blows passed them. When the drop pass is made the opposition has to react by stopping up and in doing so give up the blue line for a clean entry. It's a good move that just needs to be practised again and again. Another point is it helps the second unit because they rarely use it and the opposition are expecting it.

No problem from me

People are missing that the drop pass is an option.

If the D isn't backing up with speed, the drop pass option shouldn't be taken. The fact that the canucks have in the past managed to execute the play horribly (see the drop pass in our own zone on a relatively stationary defender) doesn't reflect on the play itself.

Archived