The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Girl pens letter to paper after it publishes column defending racist language in books

dudeone

Seriously?

First, I'm not offended. I'm using sense here.

Second, what exactly is wrong with the censorship standard for books targeted at primary students being different? New copies of these books are not being made for children's books enthusiasts. They are being made for children. Do you think children's shows should be allowed to get away with racism? If these books are being targeted at children, and may end up in the children's section of a library, do you think it's not feasible that new editions of the book not contain racial epithets? We're talking about people under the age of 10 here. The epithets are not central to the stories.

Third, as to it not being required reading... that does not mean there shouldn't be standards. If someone tells their kid to go pick a book out of the library, and comes back wondering what a n***er is, you have no problem with that? Do you have a problem with tobacco companies not being allowed to advertise to kids?

Say someone has written a period fiction about a time when hate speech was not against the law. This book should be banned even though it is within a historical setting?

So I am unable to write a fiction book about a charcter that for his time used "hate speech" (say during the early American Colonial days)? and yet I can go watch a movie where humans are sewn together in a chain to form something resembling a centipede and that is protected as "Free Speech and Free Expression"?

I am actually just asking these questions, not implying that hate speech is cool.

Hmmmm.... I am trying to give this a lot of thought, but I think I have to go with my knee-jerk reaction.

As a parent, I think that if my kids were exposed to racial slurs, it presents a great opportunity for me to teach my kids that yes, there is racism in the world. I've had converations with my kids about words they hear (e.g. the three letter word starting with "f" to denote sexual preference). I absolutely love it when my oldest child's reaction is a pure stunned look - he is bewildered that people can inject hatred towards others based on race, who they choose to love, gender, etc.

So, I guess I believe that there SHOULDN'T be censorship. That's just turning a blind eye. Instead, use it to show kids how racism exists in the world and empower them to (1) not be racist and (2)question why such a thing exists in the first place.

Hmmmm.... I am trying to give this a lot of thought, but I think I have to go with my knee-jerk reaction.

As a parent, I think that if my kids were exposed to racial slurs, it presents a great opportunity for me to teach my kids that yes, there is racism in the world. I've had converations with my kids about words they hear (e.g. the three letter word starting with "f" to denote sexual preference). I absolutely love it when my oldest child's reaction is a pure stunned look - he is bewildered that people can inject hatred towards others based on race, who they choose to love, gender, etc.

So, I guess I believe that there SHOULDN'T be censorship. That's just turning a blind eye. Instead, use it to show kids how racism exists in the world and empower them to (1) not be racist and (2)question why such a thing exists in the first place.

Archived