The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luo seems... Calm...

Specter's Vengeance

The pressure of playing as a starting goaltender can do wonders on players. It wore on Luongo last season and now it's having a much bigger effect on Schneider this season.

As for playing without pressure, we saw Schneider put up great numbers last year as a backup. Now Luongo's playing loose hockey without anything to lose and he's the Vancouver Canucks' best player.

His play is raising his trade value :bigblush:

Is this finally the evidence that CDC needs to show them that the monumental collapses that have been placed solely on his shoulders...maybe, just maybe weren't all his fault? Sure he had some bad games in there too, all players do. But maybe it's actually a team sport and all those drubbings and "bad" losses weren't entirely his fault. Maybe he was the guy with his finger in the crack of the damn for those losses...?

Don't know why anyone would be surprised by Lu having a good game. He's one of the top goalies in the regular season. The folks that want to keep Lu and trade Corey are riding the idea that Lack has a future as a #1. I have growing concerns regarding Lack's health, as he's had a very serious injury. Canata is too far off the speculate.

For me, the difference in age tips the scales between Lu and Corey. Lu will begin to decline, while Schneids is still getting better.

I have considerable respect for how Lu is handling all this. Showing a lot of class.

It is certainly interesting to see the shift that has happened. Luongo has always played better when his team is outshot or underperforming. He carried the team every night in his early days with the Canucks, and was the lone superstar with the Panthers. It was like he physically played better when he mentally recognized an underdog situation. Now, it's somewhat similar. He's been cast as Schneider's back-up, and he's performing at an incredibly high level. Meanwhile, fans' love-hate relationship with him has spun 180 degrees since last spring. Now he has very little pressure. With Eddie Lack out for the year, MG would be smart to keep both his goalies at this point. When Kesler and Booth get back into game shape, this team will be the reunited powerhouse that came within a game of winning the Cup, with Luongo more relaxed and in 'underdog' mode.

This is embarrasing for the Canucks fans... has anyone taken a good look at his GAA every year? Or his save percentage?

I remember Lou playing excellent in round 2 against Nashville, round 3 he played awesome against San Jose... the Stanley Cup finals game 1, 2, 5... great games.. The Bruins got into the Canucks heads in Boston, EVERY Canuck.. Hank had a wrist injury and could barely pass the puck, Kelser had a sports hernia (that means intestines coming out through your stomach muscles), Salo was hurt, Raymond broke his back... besides the fact Tim Thomas played like a goalie god..

Fact is, Louongo is an elite goalie. He has a trophy case full of Jennings, presidents trophies, NW titles, Campbell conference, an olympic gold medal, etc... (just to name a few)

We are lucky to have him. We begged to have him back when our #1 was Alex Auld. I said this back in the spring, and I say this now... I want Lou to stay. It would be crazy to trade him.. Scneider is a great backup, yes.. but what happens if dont pan out as a starter in the NHL. After watching the rotating goalie door after we lost McLean, I dont want to go back there.

I am his biggest fan, but WTH WAS THAT? Some of his latest shootout attempts look like Grandma pushing her walker to the bingo hall. I'm a big fan of going in with speed vs crawling in.

As for Lu....it's all been said. He has nothing to lose at this point and can simply play his game without any added pressure (for the most part). He is a very talented player who was in a glaring spotlight and shouldered every win/loss...we tend to do that to players here (assess on a minute by minute basis vs an overall view of things).

Archived