The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT - Kings 3 Canucks 2 F/SO

cmpunk

Has anyone else noticed ever since we lost the Cup in 2011 we seem to have lost our heart and drive. The team has never played with the same hunger since.

As a Canucks fan it feels just painful to watch. Skill is there...but not the drive.

This team reminds me of 2006 when Luongo first came here. A team being held together by goaltending, except we are on the decline now :(

Can't win key defensive zone face offs - Malhotra not the same

We have no real snipers on the point with Ehrhoff and Salo gone, PKers just focus on the Sedins now not really having to worry about the point shots.

Seems like we went from needing one second line winger to having a giant mess of players who aren't that great at their roles, not Stanley Cup calibre at least.

What a mess this team looks like right now. Goaltending controversy, a bunch of new players thrust into roles, hurt players gone for a long time, fatigue. Guh.

Burrows shoot out attempt just shows how seriously they take winning this year. I don't think we are winning a division champion, much less a cup this year,

They must've out-hit us about 10:1. You'd think there would be some aggression saved up for playing against the team that knocked you out last year. That was disappointing. Also no fights.

Tried to defend a lead when we had no business doing so. That was disappointing.

Our D can't shoot the puck. That is disappointing.

Edler in the shootout. That was disappointing.

Jalapeno Ms. Vickies during the game. Never disappointing.

Gotta give Lu next game. Just keep playing him until he has an average game and switch. His stats are not bad at all with 2 games started.

Luongo has shown numerous times to go on very long streaks of playing great hockey. Give him next game, and if he plays well like tonight go to him again.

No "this frustration" just proves some fans don't have patience.

Yes, I agree, it was a game we had in the bag and realistically should have won, but I remember the same pattern happening last season. Give it time, I guarantee we'll pick it up.

The only players I'm upset with are the Sedins. They're supposed to be leading this team and although tonight was a much better effort than yesterday, they have to get their grove going.

If the Sedins are playing like we know they can each night, along with are average third line, we clearly have depth without Kesler and Booth.

When healthy, we essentially have the same team we had in the 2010/11 season.

Just really tired of watching them blow 2 goal leads, that's all. They played like crap, but they had the lead and they could have had Luongo steal that game for them like he's done so many times, but they can't even pull through that anymore it seems like.

Our D is brutal, our PP is brutal. Our PK has been decent, but needs a bit of work. Need to be stronger on faceoffs, third line with no strong faceoff guy is really hurting.

Defense needs to start playing a lot more aggressively against the puck carriers, stop giving them so much room in our end. Also once they get the puck, need a couple of short, sharp passes out of the zone now and then instead of always going for the big pass to center ice (or straight up the middle). Those long passes are generating a lot of crappy turnovers and some are turning straight into goals. The other thing they are doing a lot is just slapping it around the boards to try and get it out, HAVE to stop that because it's really easy for a defenseman to just hold his ground on the blueline along the boards and just wait for the puck to reach him.

Powerplay needs a lot of work. Too static, not a lot of passing, have to find the open man. Garrison and Edler cannot be on the same unit, they both play the same role of having the big slapshot. One defenseman needs to be a passer and set up the one timer. Edler and Garrison have been brutal at passing between each other and they can't set each other up for the one timer, they often just screw it up and lose the zone. Split them up, and use those slapshots more effectively. Hopefully the Sedins will start working their magic soon, right now their PP work is being upstaged by Schroeder and Raymond on the second unit.

I love how our younger players are looking great so far. Kassian is determined to prove he can keep his game relatively consistent and he's doing it. Schroeder is hungry for a permanent spot on this team and so far I'd say he's earned it. Tanev's play has been a step up even from his consistently strong play of the last year. Lots of stuff to be happy about with those three, I just wish their play would wake up the veterans and get some of our other players to step it up.

Things still maybe need some time to really click, and let's not forget that this lineup really IS temporary, we're missing two top six guys. Powerplays might start looking a lot better if Kesler and Booth can come back and start being effective, and Penalty Kills will be a lot sharper if Kes can return to his strong defensive form.

Archived