116 replies to this topic

#61 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

I don't know how you could do that to a goalie who's played the entire game and gotten your game to overtime, and then the shootout. That's more than a slap in the face.

And I don't know how you can fault Luongo, especially tonight. He stopped 2/3 and we didn't score once. He gave us every chance to win tonight.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#62 ice3u3

ice3u3

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

the fact this is even a topic disgusts me its 50/50 in shootout anyways win u lose and its def not the goalies fault when the players dont give him a chance and its always more pressure going first I think for the goalie IMO

#63 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Also, notice how multiple people here have said Luongo's career shootout save percentage is a lot higher than the link they provide says it is?

actually its exactly what they said .662, if you had half a brain and graduated from highschool you would realize you need to COMBINE the road and home shootout %'s to get a LIFETIME total of .662.

http://www.nhl.com/i...utGamesWon&pg=1

#64 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

So, tell me again how Schneider's career 67% win percentage in shootouts is so much worse than Luongo's 45%? Cause, 67 seems to me to be higher than 45. A lot higher. And, wins actually count in the standings...

Edited by bloodycanuckleheads, 29 January 2013 - 01:53 AM.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:41 PM by BloodyCanuckleheads

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#65 nux-luvr

nux-luvr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

This has been bugging me for literally years now...

Why on Earth isn't AV pulling Lu for the shoot-outs? Luongo isn't just bad in shoot-outs - he's absolutely terrible. Just horrible. If the Canucks are in a tight game - and it goes to a shootout with Luongo in net - you can bet we lose. Virtually every single time. It's not even close. He can't stop shootout shooters. Like, at all. Ever.

So, even though Schneider would be cold - wouldn't we be better off pulling Lu after overtime - and bringing Schneider, just for the shootout?

We've been the best team in the NHL for years now - yet one of the worst at the shootout. Even with an ice-cold goalie, fresh off the bench, we've gotta have a better shot at winning than sticking with Luongo, don'tcha think?

You make a great case, my friend.....

... for bringing back the minus!!! :picard: :sadno:

Luongo is the ONLY reason we didn't get blown out this game and he did stop 2 of 3 shootout attempts while we failed on all 3. But, in your eyes, it must be Luongo's fault we lost. Un-freakin-believable. Is this a BAZINGA?
We'll miss u Big Bert! :(

#66 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

O for 5 isn't that bad in shootouts (it's not that great, but it's not the end of the word either). 2 for 4 means you've lost two games (vs 0/5 shooting) and won none...

so if i understand this correctly, you're saying Luongo stopping 2 out of 4 shots for a .500 save % is worse than our shooters going 0 for 5 for 0%?

pls go :picard:

#67 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

So, tell me again how Schneider's career 67% win percentage in shootouts is better than Luongo's 45%?

You sure you can't figure that out on your own?

Maybe it is because our SHOOTERS traditionally do very badly in shootouts, but given Schneider's small sample size he got some anomalous good goalscoring when he actually saved less shots than Lou usually does.

Hence lower save percentage, higher win percentage. Sort of like how Grant Fuhr's save percentage isn't as high as nowadays but he had a lot of wins, compared to Luongo or Vokoun in Florida where they made more saves but lost. It really is simple >.>

#68 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Maybe it is because our SHOOTERS traditionally do very badly in shootouts, but given Schneider's small sample size he got some anomalous good goalscoring when he actually saved less shots than Lou usually does.

Oh, so Schneider's 67% win percentage (vs. Luongo's 45%) should be ignored, due to a small sample size - but Luongo's shootout save percentage shouldn't be?

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#69 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Luongo was awesome tonight, would be nice if our shooters scored a goal for him once in a while. No goals by 5 shooters while Luongo's been in shootouts in this season so far, no help at all, and he kept the Canucks in the shootout tonight too.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#70 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

OP, i'm sorry to see you get attacked on this.

i was going to put my two cents in but i'm too disgusted by the mob mentality in the thread.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#71 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Luongo was great in the shootout, stopped 2 great dekes by 2 very skilled hockey players. He's clearly been practicing.

Our shooters on the otherhand have always been pathetic. AV needs to stop going to his "go-to" guys like Burrows and Edler because they're anything but that - any other skater has the same chance of scoring as they do. I say he just shuffles his scorers and goes with a random player.

For example, Raymond - Higgins - Kassian one night, Hansen - Burrows - Malhotra another. Heck throw Garrison in there to just slap the puck at the net, we have a better chance of scoring off his shot than Burrows doing his stupid predictable backhand deke.

Luongo was great in the shootout, stopped 2 great dekes by 2 very skilled hockey players. He's clearly been practicing.

Our shooters on the otherhand have always been pathetic. AV needs to stop going to his "go-to" guys like Burrows and Edler because they're anything but that - any other skater has the same chance of scoring as they do. I say he just shuffles his scorers and goes with a random player.

For example, Raymond - Higgins - Kassian one night, Hansen - Burrows - Malhotra another. Heck throw Garrison in there to just slap the puck at the net, we have a better chance of scoring off his shot than Burrows doing his stupid predictable backhand deke.

Our shooters ARE pretty bad with Burr being the exception...that "stupid predictable backhand" still beats goaltenders even when they know and predict that he's going to use it. NO way we should remove him from our top 3 shooters, the guy's 50% career efficiency in shootouts. How many shootouts have we won off the blade of his stick?

#72 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

That would be incredibly insulting to pull him in the shoot out. Even if he was terrible the entire game. I hope they are spending more time on shoot outs this year, because it looks like it is going to be very important. No messing around.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#73 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

That may have been the dumbest thing I've read in a while. You can't win games if players don't score. Sure, Luongo tends to be a bit of a flopper, but he was tonights best player and looked good in the shootout. It's tough to win if you can't score goals.

Speaking of goals, Burrows needs to start taking the shootouts more seriously. He has one move and he traded for something that made him look like a fool. One could say he even cost us the game with that horrid move. I hope AV slaps some sense into him.

That move almost made me sick. Even if Burrows did manage to score I dont think it would've counted because his feet were no longer in motion. As for AV slapping some sense into him, we all know he wont. He'll stand around chewing his gum and let Burrows and the other guys "figure it out".

#74 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Luongo hasn't been very reliable in shootouts in his career but tonight he had a real good game and pretty much did all he could in the shootout. Tonight the shooters were the problem which seems to have become a trend with this team.

#75 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

i think i hate canucks fans... this thread angers me... op move, get out of british columbia. gtfo!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gonna snaaaap

#76 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

We haven't scored a single goal in both shootouts Luongo has been in. Are you kidding?

Both games he;s played so far should have never even gotten to a shootout, we've blown two 2-0 leads and he's played great both games.

Holy, Batman! Someone is actually using their brain to make a post regarding Canucks goaltending!
Posted Image

#77 Methany878

Methany878

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

So you suppose Schneider would score in the shootout too?

:towel:

I like both our goalies and I wish it was possible to keep them in the long run, but since Gillis deems this impossible, I trust him to do the right thing (whatever that might be) and I hope he'll act soon, just to shut some people up...

#78 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

I'd rather our players just practice shootouts...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#79 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Both games he;s played so far should have never even gotten to a shootout, we've blown two 2-0 leads and he's played great both games.

So, wait... I'm confused.... Luongo's been 'great' - but, at the same time, he's 'blown two 2-0 leads'? So, which is it? Has he been 'great' - or has he blown 2 nothing leads? Cause, it can't really be both....

#80 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

So, wait... I'm confused.... Luongo's been 'great' - but, at the same time, he's 'blown two 2-0 leads'? So, which is it? Has he been 'great' - or has he blown 2 nothing leads? Cause, it can't really be both....

Read it a few more times... MAYBE you will get it eventually. I can quote it and highlight it for you, but why not teach a man to fish instead?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#81 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Why on Earth isn't AV pulling Lu for the shoot-outs? Luongo isn't just bad in shoot-outs - he's absolutely terrible. Just horrible. If the Canucks are in a tight game - and it goes to a shootout with Luongo in net - you can bet we lose. Virtually every single time. It's not even close. He can't stop shootout shooters. Like, at all. Ever.

So, even though Schneider would be cold - wouldn't we be better off pulling Lu after overtime - and bringing Schneider, just for the shootout?

We've been the best team in the NHL for years now - yet one of the worst at the shootout. Even with an ice-cold goalie, fresh off the bench, we've gotta have a better shot at winning than sticking with Luongo, don'tcha think?

Yah because its really a great idea to stick a cold goalie in a breakaway competition...No injury risk or anything like that.

Luongo played great the entire game and made way too many five-alarm stops. He kept us in it. He also stopped now two of three shooters. Not terrible.

Maybe if our goaltenders had some support, it wouldn't get to this.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#82 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

haha yep it was all Luongo's fault that we couldn't hold a lead, not the fact that we only had 3 shots in the 3rd period. you are a complete moron, Luongo was the only reason the score wasn't worse.

#83 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Oh, so Schneider's 67% win percentage (vs. Luongo's 45%) should be ignored, due to a small sample size - but Luongo's shootout save percentage shouldn't be?

I think what they are saying is if you are just trying to compare goaltenders, you should look at save % more than win % because it eliminates the variable of how effective your forwards are at the other end of the ice. Is a goaltender that wins 67% of games with a 63.2 save % better than one that wins 45% of games with 66.2 save % ? No, the forwards just did a better job in front of the former.

#84 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

I agree that Luongo has had a bad history in shootouts but not last night. If it wasnt for Luongo we dont get a single point yesterday. Our shooters should have been in this order: Schroeder, Kassian, Mason Raymond.

#85 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

O for 5 isn't that bad in shootouts (it's not that great, but it's not the end of the word either). 2 for 4 means you've lost two games (vs 0/5 shooting) and won none...

So not scoring on 5 shootout attempts 'isn't that bad', but stopping 2 out of 4 attempts is? Brilliant logic :picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#86 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Good way to incite the board up. I was going to flame you but I see you're just stirring the crap! There's no way a wise hockey fan would make this stupid suggestion otherwise.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#87 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

That wasn't Lu's fault...it was a beauty shot that he got scored on with.

And our guys didn't score - is that his fault?

If it wasn't for Lu, we wouldn't make it to some of the shootouts we've been in.

Posted Image

#88 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,412 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'd rather our players just practice shootouts...

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#89 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Typical

Can't score PP goals.................BLAME LUONGO

Can't score in the shootout...............BLAME LUONGO

One day........................it will be BLAME Schnieder
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#90 Raspberries

Raspberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

How the blazes is it Luongo's fault that we couldn't score in the shootout? How the blazes is it Luongo's fault that AV chose to put in the worst player on the ice (Edler) in as a shooter? :picard:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.