The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wake-up call

Kanucklehead10

I know its early into the season and the canucks tend to be slow starters, but I really don't like the way we have lost 3 games in which we have had the "luxury" of 2-0 leads. The stupidest thing to do is to try and sit on leads and hope for the best, rather than trying to score more goals and keep the intensity going. I am really starting to get sick of the attitude of our "gum-chewing, no emotion coach" that lets the "players deal with situations themselves"(Then whats the point of having a coach?). There doesn't seem to be any sense of drive from the bench and sometimes contending teams need a shake-up to get back on track.The canucks have been very inconsistent throughtout these first six games and I hope that this isn't a preview of what our whole season will look like due to the inconsistence of certain individuals and the poor decisions made by the men from the bench (I mean cmon, Edler in a shootout? He is way to predictable with the same shot that he takes everytime and burrows' penalty shot was just ridiculous.)

You should pay more attention to the game. The Canucks did not sit back on a lead. They kept up the forecheck and shots throughout.. even had had two opportunities to score on a wide open net which ended up not working due out to LA's defence. LA were hammering the Canucks in their own end for much of the second period. It turned out that the Kings scored in two situations when they had an extra man on the ice because the Canucks hung on to the game due to solid goaltending and self-sacrificing players like Bieksa who dove in front of a myriad of pucks. Nobody sat back in this game. It was hard fought and disappointing in the end but I am more disappointed in someone saying the Canucks sat back.

This is a ridiculous comment. What are you basing this on? Have you seen or heard what Vigneault says to the team between periods and at practices. Don't forget he is one of the many coaches on the coaching staff and they all play a role in coaching the team. Whatever his style is he has coached the Canuck to more success than any other in the history of the franchise. If you want to talk about "gum chewing" than you might want to dig up some old videos of Pat Quinn in the nineties.

Okay I will agree that I Edler should not have been in the shootout. I would have rather seen Mayson Raymond, Schroeder or even Daniel Sedin. But really.. its a shoot out! The Canucks coaching staff are, in my opinion, as solid as it gets. The team and coaches deserve better fans that know and appreciate the game.

Our problem is not that we've been sitting on 2 goal leads. The last 2 losses when we were up by 2 our defencemen ended up making stupid plays and ill-advised pinches that lead to odd man rushes against or defencemen caught out of position and scored on. If anything, applying pressure lead to our losses in those 2 games.

Against the Kings we played quite well actually and defended spectacularly, besides we didn't have enough energy to open up the game and push the tempo. Still, we ended up conceding goals because we simply didn't defend well enough. Carter was left to shoot and that Voynov shot never should of made it through.

We're simply not defending well enough. Get the puck out of the zone, get it deep and clog the neutral zone. Right now we can't do either of them and it's hurting us because as a team we're struggling with the trap defending.

i guess if the Canucks won every game (without Kessler) then you would say the Coach is doing OK? Get real! Three games in 4 nights, part of the Team is AHL players, the other 29 Teams in the league want to win just as badly as the Canucks and you are not "happy" with a 2 win, 2 loss, 2 tie for 6 points, back 6 from the top of the league?

REALITY is my friend that hockey is a business, has 48 games this season in which to eliminate 14 teams from the playoffs and THEN the real season begins. The whole purpose of the regular season is to generate revenue, expose the sponsors and advertiser and practice for the playoffs. That's why you see players called up early in the season, that's why you see players like Volpati, Schroeder and Weise getting big ice time. That's why you see Kassien playing with the Sedins instead of Burrows. That's why you see Garrison and Edler fumbling along, trying to find their spot. That's why you see Bieksa playing like a woman and Ballard pretending he's Bobby Orr. That's why Higgins forgets to tie his skate laces and why Hennrik is stuck in first gear. Get it?

You try to coach that attitude.

I understand your frustration. It must be difficult going to 41 weddings and not seeing your "Team" at the alter more than twice and still never married. Well, get used to it!

I thought Luongo played great and maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing him there but I'm more comfortable with him in goal then Schneider right now.

I absolutely cringe whenever I see Edler do the drop pass in the neutral zone on the power play which seems to happen 90% of the time now. This to me is totally a coaching issue.

Archived