The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wake-up call

Kanucklehead10

I know its early into the season and the canucks tend to be slow starters, but I really don't like the way we have lost 3 games in which we have had the "luxury" of 2-0 leads. The stupidest thing to do is to try and sit on leads and hope for the best, rather than trying to score more goals and keep the intensity going. I am really starting to get sick of the attitude of our "gum-chewing, no emotion coach" that lets the "players deal with situations themselves"(Then whats the point of having a coach?). There doesn't seem to be any sense of drive from the bench and sometimes contending teams need a shake-up to get back on track.The canucks have been very inconsistent throughtout these first six games and I hope that this isn't a preview of what our whole season will look like due to the inconsistence of certain individuals and the poor decisions made by the men from the bench (I mean cmon, Edler in a shootout? He is way to predictable with the same shot that he takes everytime and burrows' penalty shot was just ridiculous.)

Our problem is not that we've been sitting on 2 goal leads. The last 2 losses when we were up by 2 our defencemen ended up making stupid plays and ill-advised pinches that lead to odd man rushes against or defencemen caught out of position and scored on. If anything, applying pressure lead to our losses in those 2 games.

Against the Kings we played quite well actually and defended spectacularly, besides we didn't have enough energy to open up the game and push the tempo. Still, we ended up conceding goals because we simply didn't defend well enough. Carter was left to shoot and that Voynov shot never should of made it through.

We're simply not defending well enough. Get the puck out of the zone, get it deep and clog the neutral zone. Right now we can't do either of them and it's hurting us because as a team we're struggling with the trap defending.

1-Boys are still getting their "sea legs".

2-Three games in four nights.

3-New guys are still learning systems/building chemistry.

If another 5'ish games go by and we're not starting to play more like we did in Anaheim and less like a bunch of tired, lost and confused minor league players...then you should start to worry. If they can manage to stay around .500 until then I'll be grudgingly "happy". Anything better than that will make me actually happy.

Archived