• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teemu Selänne

[Rumour] Pens looking for RWer & Despres can be had for right price

47 posts in this topic

Yeah, Iginla makes perfect sense. Especially if Pittsburgh is willing to part with a solid young player like Despres (and a 1st, likely). Pens have the cap room to do it without sending anyone back.

If Flames management + ownership can finally succumb to the idea of re-building...

Although, I think they could get somebody with a higher ceiling than Despres and if the Pens had Iginla that 1st will be awfully late.

Two years ago, Calgary could have received a king's ransom for Iginla. Even last year, they could have expected a lot more than Despres and a late 1st.

However, this year could be different. Iggy's already showed signs of slowing last year - if he shows further signs as this compressed season wears on, that could bring down the price. Also, young players on ELC's are going to be at a premium right now, with the cap going down next season.

If Iginla is struggling at all, would you spend Conaughton and our 1st to rent him for one playoff run? Maybe...but would you spend even more?

Or Raymond, Connauton 1st.

Or Schroeder, Connauton, 1st.

Iginla is still at point where you take a risk & overpay to get him. Even as a player who is looking slow right now, without him the Flames would have no threats & he has 3 points/4 games.

Not to mention 67 last year, which is good for 27th in the league/2nd on the Canucks (albeit only cause Daniel was injured)...

He's a class act, with big pedigree and he's also a Canadian (esp.Albertan) icon with no cup getting late into his career. If the Canucks SOMEHOW or the Pens for that matter could add Iginla at the trade deadline, they'd be looking like the top dog.

There are so many benefits to adding Iginla for the Canucks, incl. having Kesler have less pressure on him to carry the 2nd line and play twice his fricking size and get injured every playoffs.

But I digress. This isn't a Canuck & Iginla thread..

I didn't look very hard, but it wasn't immediately obvious who the guy was. My point about the Pens having been looking for a winger for several years now still stands, though.

Well there was this guy named Hossa a couple of years ago..........have you heard of him?

I wouldn't risk trying to acquire him. Our defence has been phenomenal the last few games.

I would invest in Despres, only in a package that brings our team all-star players.

I wouldn't risk trying to acquire him. Our defence has been phenomenal the last few games.

I would invest in Despres, only in a package that brings our team all-star players.

Actually, looking at it from a non-Canucks perspective, why wouldn't someone like Detroit be interested in this? They could swap Tomas Jurco for Despres and it'd immediately help both organizations. Something like that being available for teams both having need tells me it's not likely that the Pens are actually looking to move him.

I've always liked Despres but he's not a fit here. I'm sure Gillis would rather give K Con a look before giving up assets for him

So you wouldn't trade him for Ballard as a 21 year old, 6'4" d-man on an affordable contract who already has 4 points and 15 hits in 8 games? Ballard has 14 points total over his last two seasons with the Canucks and Despres is on pace to beat that by 10 in a 48 game season.

The Pens have $8.5M in cap space as well but I doubt they do that straight up. They could use a good goaltending prospect though:

To Pitt - Ballard and Cannata

To Van - Despres and 2nd

Or if they want a winger as they're still not that strong on the right side:

To Pitt - Higgins and Cannata

To Van - Despres and 2nd

I didn't think too long on value and I'm sick this morning, so that might not look as good later on, but I'd consider our options (assuming we could move Ballard in another deal if we went the second route). The point is, I wouldn't hold out just to get him as an extra in a larger deal if he could be had for a reasonable one could be agreed to.