The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pens looking for RWer & Despres can be had for right price

Two years ago, Calgary could have received a king's ransom for Iginla. Even last year, they could have expected a lot more than Despres and a late 1st.

However, this year could be different. Iggy's already showed signs of slowing last year - if he shows further signs as this compressed season wears on, that could bring down the price. Also, young players on ELC's are going to be at a premium right now, with the cap going down next season.

If Iginla is struggling at all, would you spend Conaughton and our 1st to rent him for one playoff run? Maybe...but would you spend even more?

Or Raymond, Connauton 1st.

Or Schroeder, Connauton, 1st.

Iginla is still at point where you take a risk & overpay to get him. Even as a player who is looking slow right now, without him the Flames would have no threats & he has 3 points/4 games.

Not to mention 67 last year, which is good for 27th in the league/2nd on the Canucks (albeit only cause Daniel was injured)...

He's a class act, with big pedigree and he's also a Canadian (esp.Albertan) icon with no cup getting late into his career. If the Canucks SOMEHOW or the Pens for that matter could add Iginla at the trade deadline, they'd be looking like the top dog.

There are so many benefits to adding Iginla for the Canucks, incl. having Kesler have less pressure on him to carry the 2nd line and play twice his fricking size and get injured every playoffs.

But I digress. This isn't a Canuck & Iginla thread..

Actually, looking at it from a non-Canucks perspective, why wouldn't someone like Detroit be interested in this? They could swap Tomas Jurco for Despres and it'd immediately help both organizations. Something like that being available for teams both having need tells me it's not likely that the Pens are actually looking to move him.

So you wouldn't trade him for Ballard as a 21 year old, 6'4" d-man on an affordable contract who already has 4 points and 15 hits in 8 games? Ballard has 14 points total over his last two seasons with the Canucks and Despres is on pace to beat that by 10 in a 48 game season.

The Pens have $8.5M in cap space as well but I doubt they do that straight up. They could use a good goaltending prospect though:

To Pitt - Ballard and Cannata

To Van - Despres and 2nd

Or if they want a winger as they're still not that strong on the right side:

To Pitt - Higgins and Cannata

To Van - Despres and 2nd

I didn't think too long on value and I'm sick this morning, so that might not look as good later on, but I'd consider our options (assuming we could move Ballard in another deal if we went the second route). The point is, I wouldn't hold out just to get him as an extra in a larger deal if he could be had for a reasonable one could be agreed to.

Archived