#1 Go Go Canucks Go

Go Go Canucks Go

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

POPULAR

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

Edited by Go Go Canucks Go, 29 January 2013 - 01:20 AM.

Aaron Rome 1 goal in 114 games and oh yeah 10 assists. Thats 11 points people..that's a decent .0964 points per game average. He's a power play expert at turn overs and wide shots. He's a depth defenceman for anyone looking to win the stanley cup. A key here is he is very slow and takes timely penalties because he is an expert at head games. Clearly the most underrated underachiever of all time. He also has a mean 5 oclock shadow. MMMMM Aaron Rome goes down smooth like an unshaked can of Guinness that has been in the garage for awhile. MMM Aaron Rome put him on your powerplay, let him kill penalties, a stud...a steed... half cro magnon man part time bowling champion but supremely talented Defenceman. Rome for the Norris! I think Rome was solid like Rory Fitzpatrick or Eric Weinrich...Rome could use a yellow visor for that matter ...really give him the edge

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

POPULAR

:picard:

/=S=/

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

POPULAR

He's been decent.
Hasn't taken quite enough shots as I had hoped yet, and minus that one giveaway the other night, he has played pretty well defensively compared to our other D.
6 games into the season, and on a new team. Not overly concerned yet.

Edited by Jägermeister, 29 January 2013 - 01:52 AM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#4 Discord

Discord

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

short season or not, it really doesn't matter. you can't expect him to be ready, after being traded, with no real time to gel with the team or the system, or the overall environment of playing for a hockey crazy city. if he's still the same at the end of the season, then maybe i'll start questioning this move. until then, it does take some time to adjust. the sky isn't falling last time i checked, but then again, i'm in canucks talk

2dvpkl4.jpg

Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys! CHOCOLATE RAIN

It's the year to be hated. I support our team.

I do take sig requests.

#5 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,319 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

POPULAR

Thanks for this thread. Now he'll score next game. :)

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#6 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

He needs time to adjust, just like any other player who joins a new team and is expected to assume a large role immediately. You have to remember the human side to hockey players, the guy who's trying to fit in somewhere in the locker room dynamic, trying to make friends - it's a workplace. I don't get the sense that he's not a personable guy, though. Seems as though he's already 'in' with the group.

I do think we'll end up regretting that 4.6 AAV, though. Hope I'm proven wrong.

#7 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

He has been playing decent given it's only 5 games into the season on a new team and new system. It might help if he's paired up with bieska on the pp so he can feed Garrison one-timers. The problem with Garrison being matched up with Edler on the point is that they are both shoot-first defencemen and it doesn't seem like Edler really wants to give up the puck.

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Yup, because adjusting to a new system, being thrown into a shortened season with no time to gel with his team, and playing with a group of guys who aren't playing all the well right now has nothing to do with his performance at all.

Pull your hand away from the red panic button and give the guy some time to settle in.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 TowelPower82

TowelPower82

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I will say he has been frustrating me with his play in the defensive zone but I agree its too early to axe him. Hope he settles in soon cause I love his cannon shot
Posted ImageGo Canucks GoPosted Image

#10 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

I was about to waste my time and put together an argument against your post...but then I realized this is CDC...after a loss...Canucks talk...

Need I say more?

Get a grip please stop trying to stir up crap
Posted Image

#11 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

With the Salary Cap decreasing by the amount that it is, most of our D-men are seriously overpaid.

Bieksa, Ballard (unless he can keep up his play that he's displayed so far), Edler next year.... Garrison so far...

Hammer and Tanev are the best value as it stands, but Tanev will need an extension.

I miss Salo...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#12 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

I think its a little early to throw your hands up in the air and say its all over, but that said I have to admit I was expecting a little more from him. All I've been hearing is how anxious he was to make his debut and how he plans to unleash that big slapper of his even more than he did last season with Florida. So far his impact has been very minimal. Hope he just needs to get more acquainted with the system and develop some chemistry and he's on his way.

#13 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

People seem to forget it took close to 30 games for Hamhuis to adjust to this team and settle in.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#14 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

He's still a plus player on a dreadfully minus team. No points but Bieksa doesn't have any either.
Posted Image

#15 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

I agree. It has been 5, 6 games now, the "new team" excuse is over. He proves so far that he is a one year wonder....lucky him..hit the jack pot.

#16 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

If the coaching staff and management of the Canucks thought the way a lot of the forum members think, there would be no Burrows , Kesler. Sedins ect... The amount of useless topic started the last couple weeks is making this forum look stupid beyond belief.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 29 January 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#17 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

It`s the beginning of a shortened season on a new team. Give the guy a break and some time to adjust.

I think he`ll shape up and do well.

Whether that means the Canucks win the cup this year is another matter. Count your lucky stars for that to happen.

0au3Jj.gifhuntersmalll.jpg

#18 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

I agree. It has been 5, 6 games now, the "new team" excuse is over. He proves so far that he is a one year wonder....lucky him..hit the jack pot.

Laughable. So, extremely short camp, add a new team and he only gets 6 games to impress you?
Well I guess if that crossbar would've gone in the other night, you'd be singing his praises.

Calm down, he's played decent. The whole team has played poorly. This happens EVERY year it seems. Bad start and almost every player gets ripped on by our "loyal" fanbase. Some of your types just don't have the makeup to be well-even keeled hockey fans.

Watching the way he gets the puck off, I'm sure he'll score soon.

#19 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Players seem to put up career numbers in Florida and than drop off on other teams. Although I hope for the Canucks sake, and my lack of depth on defense in my hockey pool he starts producing.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

He's been an absolute dud. Gillis, Canuck fans, and even Garrison himself better hope he start performing because this contract is going to bite us in the ass for a long time.
Posted Image

#21 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

I was and am concerned that Garrison might be a one hit wonder, but it's still very early and he'll probably need a bit more time to get really comfortable. If we dont see any flashes of what made him successful last year soon, then maybe we can start worrying.
What was most concerning to me about his career season last year was how few assists he had. Sure he had 16 goals but maybe (not very likely) he was just getting lucky, hammering the puck, hoping for the best, and it worked 16 times. I hope very much that I'm wrong though.

#22 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

I thought the Canucks learned their lesson. No more Florida guys. Ballard and Booth have already been big disappointments.

Garrison isn't really helped by the fact he is paired with erratic Edler and neither guy seems comfortable playing on the right side.

Time will tell.. though obviously It's a little to early to be worrying about Garrison.

Edited by Terry Crews, 29 January 2013 - 02:39 AM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#23 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Maybe if AV knew how to coax newly acquired players into playing a simple game and getting them acclimated to the system in less than a full year and a half, players like Booth, Ballard, Garrison, and ALL OF OUR PROSPECTS wouldn't look like complete flops on Gillis's part.

Look at the acquisitions and prospects who have seen success here.

Lapierre. Kept it simple. And amusing.

Higgins knows simple, and only simple.

Schroeder so far, who plays hard. Nothing fancy.

Hamhuis. Very simple.

Tanev. Simple.

Now look at Booth. Then Ballard. Then Kassian's first season here. Now Garrison. Hodgson?

I'm sorry, but players don't take THIS FREAKIN LONG to adjust. This process should be a LOT shorter than a year! What the hell is happening here? Our system is simple... so simple, in fact, that it gets ripped to shreds every year in the play-offs... yet... every one of our trades comes out looking stupid for the first LONG time.

Thank god Kassian is young and can still adapt quickly... he's managed to pull through this non-sense. ...10 months!

One small snippet of bad coaching.

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 29 January 2013 - 02:45 AM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#24 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

You are an expert with 54 posts to your name? :lol:

#25 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

Omg... :picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#26 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

POPULAR

You think you're an expert by judging post count?

What does post count have to do with a person's... well anything aside from post count?

Typical elitist.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#27 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

If the coaching staff and management of the Canucks thought the way a lot of the forum members think, there would be no Burrows , Kesler. Sedins ect... The amount of useless topic started the last couple weeks is making this forum look stupid beyond belief.

Six games and the panic button is about worn out already.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#28 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

He's been an absolute dud. Gillis, Canuck fans, and even Garrison himself better hope he start performing because this contract is going to bite us in the ass for a long time.

He has good company with Hamhuis, Edler and Bieksa.

#29 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

It can bite us all it wants. If he plays like this all season long, a simple buyout will solve this mistake of a contract.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#30 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

Maybe if AV knew how to coax newly acquired players into playing a simple game and getting them acclimated to the system in less than a full year and a half, players like Booth, Ballard, Garrison, and ALL OF OUR PROSPECTS wouldn't look like complete flops on Gillis's part.

Look at the acquisitions and prospects who have seen success here.

Lapierre. Kept it simple. And amusing.

Higgins knows simple, and only simple.

Schroeder so far, who plays hard. Nothing fancy.

Hamhuis. Very simple.

Tanev. Simple.

Now look at Booth. Then Ballard. Then Kassian's first season here. Now Garrison. Hodgson?

I'm sorry, but players don't take THIS FREAKIN LONG to adjust. This process should be a LOT shorter than a year! What the hell is happening here? Our system is simple... so simple, in fact, that it gets ripped to shreds every year in the play-offs... yet... every one of our trades comes out looking stupid for the first LONG time.

Thank god Kassian is young and can still adapt quickly... he's managed to pull through this non-sense. ...10 months!

One small snippet of bad coaching.

Ok then, Garrison is being labeled with only 6 games played as a flop. Nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.