The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

short season or not, it really doesn't matter. you can't expect him to be ready, after being traded, with no real time to gel with the team or the system, or the overall environment of playing for a hockey crazy city. if he's still the same at the end of the season, then maybe i'll start questioning this move. until then, it does take some time to adjust. the sky isn't falling last time i checked, but then again, i'm in canucks talk

He needs time to adjust, just like any other player who joins a new team and is expected to assume a large role immediately. You have to remember the human side to hockey players, the guy who's trying to fit in somewhere in the locker room dynamic, trying to make friends - it's a workplace. I don't get the sense that he's not a personable guy, though. Seems as though he's already 'in' with the group.

I do think we'll end up regretting that 4.6 AAV, though. Hope I'm proven wrong.

He has been playing decent given it's only 5 games into the season on a new team and new system. It might help if he's paired up with bieska on the pp so he can feed Garrison one-timers. The problem with Garrison being matched up with Edler on the point is that they are both shoot-first defencemen and it doesn't seem like Edler really wants to give up the puck.

Yup, because adjusting to a new system, being thrown into a shortened season with no time to gel with his team, and playing with a group of guys who aren't playing all the well right now has nothing to do with his performance at all.

Pull your hand away from the red panic button and give the guy some time to settle in.

With the Salary Cap decreasing by the amount that it is, most of our D-men are seriously overpaid.

Bieksa, Ballard (unless he can keep up his play that he's displayed so far), Edler next year.... Garrison so far...

Hammer and Tanev are the best value as it stands, but Tanev will need an extension.

I miss Salo...

I think its a little early to throw your hands up in the air and say its all over, but that said I have to admit I was expecting a little more from him. All I've been hearing is how anxious he was to make his debut and how he plans to unleash that big slapper of his even more than he did last season with Florida. So far his impact has been very minimal. Hope he just needs to get more acquainted with the system and develop some chemistry and he's on his way.

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

I agree. It has been 5, 6 games now, the "new team" excuse is over. He proves so far that he is a one year wonder....lucky him..hit the jack pot.

I agree. It has been 5, 6 games now, the "new team" excuse is over. He proves so far that he is a one year wonder....lucky him..hit the jack pot.

Laughable. So, extremely short camp, add a new team and he only gets 6 games to impress you?

Well I guess if that crossbar would've gone in the other night, you'd be singing his praises.

Calm down, he's played decent. The whole team has played poorly. This happens EVERY year it seems. Bad start and almost every player gets ripped on by our "loyal" fanbase. Some of your types just don't have the makeup to be well-even keeled hockey fans.

Watching the way he gets the puck off, I'm sure he'll score soon.

Archived