The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Seriously comparing Garrison to Willie?

Not hating on Garrison - I think/hope he'll come right but;

So far he's been the furthest example away from Willie Mitchell. He can't protect the puck and loses battles to guys like Granlund. Mitchell would tear JaGar apart at least right now.

wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2532.gif

We're essentially using the cap we got from Salo/Ehrhoff for this guy. He doesn't replace one, let alone both. I wish MG would have just realized how important Ehrhoff was to this team and singed him instead of being a dumb frack and letting him walk.

The only proof you need for Ehrhoff's importance to the team's offence is this; the only two seasons he played for the Canucks, a Sedin lead the league in points. Without him, both Sedins played a PPG before and after his departure.

MG chose Booth over Ehrhoff and boy didn't that work out? Biggest mistake of his career right now. MG 's knowledge about the defense position is very weak with the way he has handled it. Got a great asset who performed great and failed to lock him up and signed a string of mediocre guys (Ballard, Garrsion).

MG should give control of the defense core to someone else, he can't do it.

I totally agree with you bro. Losing Ehrhoff effected the teams overall powerplay and offence. Without him, I don't think either Sedin would have captured a Art Ross. Just like how WAyne Gretzky relied on Coffey's end to end offensive rushes and skill, this team really depended on Ehrhoffs. I was very sad from the day we lost Ehrhoff

IN the last 2 seasons we lost Ehrhoff followed by Salo, replaced by Garrison and Tanev (Promotion from within).

I'm looking at this summers UFA list, wow, what a terrible list for defencemens. Next years look much much better.

Has any team struggled to find consistent D-pairings in the past 4 or 5 years more than the Canucks?

Even with guys like Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell, and Ehrhoff, this team constantly melted down on D at times, especially in the playoffs.

Guess who's responsible for the D? Bowness. The only reason he's the assistant coach is because he comes as a package deal with AV.

The only consistent pair he's managed to form is Ballard and Tanev.

He has certainly been a dud.

People will continue to give him more time. But how much more? Another 10 games? 20 games? How will they try to justify his lack of production? He's not suddenly going to find his game right before the playoffs and quarterback that PP.

Except he scored pretty much all of his goals in the first half of last season, and didn't score any in the second half. So he has shown he is a player that gets his goals in giant bunches.

If his scoring comes in the second half, who cares? It's about how you finish not how you start.

We're essentially using the cap we got from Salo/Ehrhoff for this guy. He doesn't replace one, let alone both. I wish MG would have just realized how important Ehrhoff was to this team and singed him instead of being a dumb frack and letting him walk.

The only proof you need for Ehrhoff's importance to the team's offence is this; the only two seasons he played for the Canucks, a Sedin lead the league in points. Without him, both Sedins played a PPG before and after his departure.

MG chose Booth over Ehrhoff and boy didn't that work out? Biggest mistake of his career right now. MG 's knowledge about the defense position is very weak with the way he has handled it. Got a great asset who performed great and failed to lock him up and signed a string of mediocre guys (Ballard, Garrsion).

I've been saying this stuff since 2011. People are finally realizing this. Ehrhoff took the Sedins to the next level, just like how the Sedins did the same thing to Ehrhoff. Losing Ehrhoff was huge, especially since they haven't replaced him yet. The Sedins will never be 100 pt players in this league again.

Except he scored pretty much all of his goals in the first half of last season, and didn't score any in the second half. So he has shown he is a player that gets his goals in giant bunches.

If his scoring comes in the second half, who cares? It's about how you finish not how you start.

Well, that's good. A fat contract based on 40 games.

I care. Consistency is what should count. If scoring in bunches is what counts then Kesler's performance against Nashville should negate how much he sucked against the Bruins. Same with the twins against the Sharks only to blow chunks against the Bruins as well.

I can't believe how many times posters on here continue to make snap judgements only to be proven wrong.

You wait for one bad game to say "I told you so". And then as soon as Garrison starts producing on the PP, you'll just disappear, and find another player to rag on.

And how effective was Ehrhoff on defence for us in the playoffs in 2011?

Gillis offered Ehrhoff the same deal as Bieksa, but Ehrhoff refused it. Ehrhoff shouldn't be given anything significantly more than Bieksa as Bieksa stepped up in the playoffs and was pretty good still in the regular season, so Gillis had to keep in mind what would give this team the best chance to win. It was as much Ehrhoff's choice to not take the deal Gillis offered as it was for Gillis to move him rather than lose him for nothing.

Ehrhoff - 40 million over 10 years.

Salo - 7.5 million, 2 years, 35+ contract.

7.75 million cap hit.

Garrison 4.6 + Ballard 4.2 = 8.8 million cap hit. Is that better?

Christian Ehrhoff +6 10 points

Sami Salo +10 7 points

Garrison +7 2 points

Ballard +4 1 point

I know which pair I would be picking.

Hint: Its the one that helped us get to the Stanley cup finals.

Gillis offered Ehrhoff the same deal as Bieksa, but Ehrhoff refused it. Ehrhoff shouldn't be given anything significantly more than Bieksa as Bieksa stepped up in the playoffs and was pretty good still in the regular season, so Gillis had to keep in mind what would give this team the best chance to win. It was as much Ehrhoff's choice to not take the deal Gillis offered as it was for Gillis to move him rather than lose him for nothing.

Led all Canuck d-men in points in the playoffs with an injured shoulder for half of the playoffs. His +/- wasn't great although the Sedins' wasn't either.

Oh I don't know...President trophy champ, Western Conference Champ, Stanley cup finalist with Kesler getting Selke and Henrik getting Hart and Art Ross and the team winning the Jennings for the lowest GAA in the league. Yep, he really didn't have much impact at all. Not to mention the #1 PP in the league.

Garrison 4.6 + Ballard 4.2 = 8.8 million cap hit. Is that better?

Christian Ehrhoff +6 10 points

Sami Salo +10 7 points

Garrison +7 2 points

Ballard +4 1 point

I know which pair I would be picking.

Hint: Its the one that helped us get to the Stanley cup finals.

Salo who has a track record of playing 50% of the time, and Ehrhoff. You're taking 2 players on 2 different team's respective top units.

If they were on our team they wouldn't have those numbers, since we have better defensive depth.

Also if Ehrhoff signed for $5m+/year, Edler would have gotten $6m.

The way Edler is playing right now, he doesn't even deserve the money that Ehrhoff is making, never mind making $1 mil more than him. He has been playing worse defense than Ehrhoff right now.

Salo who has a track record of playing 50% of the time, and Ehrhoff. You're taking 2 players on 2 different team's respective top units.

If they were on our team they wouldn't have those numbers, since we have better defensive depth.

Salo playing 50% of the time still makes the team unbeatable during his playing time. Do you take a crappy defenseman that plays 100% of the time or a great defenseman that might be injury prone due to dumb luck. Forget about comparing Ehrhoff and Ballard because that is not even close.

Also, if they were on our team, they would be getting top minutes because Edler and Hamhuis has been crapting the bed. Don't even talk about Garrison, because he wouldn't even be here with those two. Fact of the matter is that we would have a top PP unit in the league if we still had Ehrhoff and Salo.

Archived