The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

I think MG shouldn't have paid garrison 4+ a year he's not worth it at least not yet. We bought him in as a offensive defence men and he hasn't contributed... He's not on the fricken power play for gods sake. 4+ million for an average defencemen is way to much. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be another bust from Florida lol

There is a reason hasn't let loose his one-timer, the passes to him have been absolutely terrible. Edler and Bieksa are horrible set-up men. These two have taken far more one-timers than Garrison when paired with him because he is better at placing his passes than they are. Both players are not good fits for Garrison's game, not sure what coaches or fans expect with these pairings but I imagine they will be disappointed if they expect Garrison to somehow overcome his partner's deficiencies to become an offensive force.

Whats the time frame for the adjustment? Just wondering. Christian Ehrhoff, Dan Hamhius, had no issues adjusting to our system right away. Oh right, those are defencemens at a different level, I forgot that, despite being payed the same, he is not even at their level. I do however hope he snaps out of his slump.

Have you perhaps also forgotten about the lack of an actual training camp and pre-season games? Wouldn't the lack of these activities also hinder his adjustment, even if he spent some time skating with a few of his team mates out at UBC?

Or, you can just assume that Garrison isn't a very good d-man since you appear to have your heart set in that regard. :)

regards,

G.

This is ridiculous.

People saw that he had 16 goals last year and just assumed that he was going to be some sort of offensive juggernaut, when anybody who paid any attention would have known that would likely not be the case.

Garrison is a defensive defence man, a role he has played very well thus far, who has a booming shot from the point. So far it seems like he has been hesitant to let those shots go, but it's more than fair to attribute that to being in a new system, and trying to find a style of game that will allow him to be successful in that system. The fact that he has had very limited PP time, and has been playing his off side for much of that time isn't helping in that regard.

Put him on the PP one the right side and we would see a lot more of what he is capable of offensively.

There is a reason hasn't let loose his one-timer, the passes to him have been absolutely terrible. Edler and Bieksa are horrible set-up men. These two have taken far more one-timers than Garrison when paired with him because he is better at placing his passes than they are. Both players are not good fits for Garrison's game, not sure what coaches or fans expect with these pairings but I imagine they will be disappointed if they expect Garrison to somehow overcome his partner's deficiencies to become an offensive force.

Totally agree.

I also believe that AV is not as worried about the D pairings right now and how they match up compared to the fans.

As the Canucks like to have with their forward group, they want all of the D-men to have some experience playing with each other in case they may need to in the future because of injuries. The other members of the top 6 have all played together for awhile but Garrison is the sole new addition. I'm not surprised that they are trying him out all over the ice. What's surprising is that he has looked so good in stretches without the coaches giving him a defined role.

Like many others have said, he just isn't comfortable yet.

Totally agree.

I also believe that AV is not as worried about the D pairings right now and how they match up compared to the fans.

As the Canucks like to have with their forward group, they want all of the D-men to have some experience playing with each other in case they may need to in the future because of injuries. The other members of the top 6 have all played together for awhile but Garrison is the sole new addition. I'm not surprised that they are trying him out all over the ice. What's surprising is that he has looked so good in stretches without the coaches giving him a defined role.

Like many others have said, he just isn't comfortable yet.

Was thinking pretty much the same thing - AV didn't really have much of a training camp to assess pairings, and Garrison was injured until just before the season started - AV is moving him around, getting him accustomed to playing with different guys early in the season when the entire league is somewhat inconsistent and rusty, and in the event he needs to change pairings down the road for some reason, at least Garrison will have wet his feet with different partners. I also agree that he has looked quite good in the roles he has played considering he hasn't really been in that position of being fed opportunities (it never surprises me to see people looking to write a player like this off based on so little). Garrison may be keyed on the pp as things settle in more, but I don't have a problem with how he has played, and the Canucks have enough guys who can contribute that they don't need to have high expectations of Garrison off the bat. One thing I am curious is why he hasn't been used on the right side as opposed to Edler having played so much right side to Campbell, but I imagine AV has his reasons.

Whats the time frame for the adjustment? Just wondering. Christian Ehrhoff, Dan Hamhius, had no issues adjusting to our system right away. Oh right, those are defencemens at a different level, I forgot that, despite being payed the same, he is not even at their level. I do however hope he snaps out of his slump.

Beyond what Gollumpus pointed out, I'll also note that Hamhuis and Ehrhoff came from Nashville and San Jose respectively. Western Conference so they not only were more adjusted to the style of play and less forgiven for defensive blunders, but they also had already experienced competing against the Canucks regularly and thus had been tuned into the system.

Meanwhile JG has been freewheelin' it in Sunny Florida where they seem to think defence is a form of sun screen.

Actually Hamhuis didn't start producing points until mid December his first season. And he had a training camp and preseason under his belt. Bieksa also had a slow start that first year with Hamhuis. Ehrhoff also started his first season a little slow but had the advantage of Sedinery on the 1st pp unit to pick it up quicker.

No instant gratification on this board = bust. It always amazes me how quickly Canuck fans turn on players.

Christian Ehrhoff is a one dimensional player. That's not a jab at him at all because that's needed on a team but it's not hard to adjust when you have one job. Hamhuis had a thread just like this about him when he started with the Canucks because he also needed time to adjust to a new team and system.

I get that you're trying to make a point but you're stretching reality a little far to do it. Perhaps you forgot about Hamhuis and his first few months in Vancouver and the typical canuck fan response to him.Judging from the snide remark about garrison though it's pretty safe to assume that's not the case and you're just being a bit of a jerk.

Was thinking pretty much the same thing - AV didn't really have much of a training camp to assess pairings, and Garrison was injured until just before the season started - AV is moving him around, getting him accustomed to playing with different guys early in the season when the entire league is somewhat inconsistent and rusty, and in the event he needs to change pairings down the road for some reason, at least Garrison will have wet his feet with different partners. I also agree that he has looked quite good in the roles he has played considering he hasn't really been in that position of being fed opportunities (it never surprises me to see people looking to write a player like this off based on so little). Garrison may be keyed on the pp as things settle in more, but I don't have a problem with how he has played, and the Canucks have enough guys who can contribute that they don't need to have high expectations of Garrison off the bat. One thing I am curious is why he hasn't been used on the right side as opposed to Edler having played so much right side to Campbell, but I imagine AV has his reasons.

Agreed.

I think the reason Garrison hasn't been played on the right side is because that is where the coaches expect him to settle. What they want him to get is experience playing left side with other players in case of future need.

I think the basic plan is to have 3 of each of the top 4 be able to play either side. LH-->Edler, Garrison, Hamhius, RH-->Bieksa, Edler, Garrison. Is obvious to me that the coaches have no faith in Ballard on the right side and Tanev, though steady enough to play anywhere, is a natural righty.

Since Garrison is probably expected to settle on RH D they may as well get his practice over early.

Actually Hamhuis didn't start producing points until mid December his first season. And he had a training camp and preseason under his belt. Bieksa also had a slow start that first year with Hamhuis. Ehrhoff also started his first season a little slow but had the advantage of Sedinery on the 1st pp unit to pick it up quicker.

No instant gratification on this board = bust. It always amazes me how quickly Canuck fans turn on players.

I've repeated this ad nauseum. All they did was end the season as the best +/- pairing in the league.

People have such short memories.

Archived