The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Being a White Rocker, I am rooting for the guy, but I still get butt clenchingly nervous during his shifts. He doesn't clear the puck well, and that just leads to more pressure.

We need to see him on PP. He is very expendable and just not worth the money he's on.

This vid shows why our defensive strategy/mentality needs to change, and it all starts with the coaches. Take a look at Bieksa and only him. He is nowhere near Hossa when he gets the puck and heads towards the net, why? Because he was expecting Burrows to get the puck on the boards and start breaking out... he was thinking offence when we didn't even have possession yet. He floated around and was about to head up the ice with our forwards but their player stopped the puck and Hossa did what Hossa does and drove to the net (with no one in his way) and made a great power move around Schneids. Garrison did the right thing in tying up the other guy, it was BK's offence-first mentality that lead to this goal, which IMO is our coaches fault. Same reason why we get caught pinching all the time, ALWAYS thinking offence first, but defence wins games.

Totally not Garrison's fault and all Bieksa.

Totally agree. The most egregious thing to me is Bieksa's laziness and overall lack of compete level. He could have at least attempted to check Hossa before he's allowed to walk out untouched in front our goal. I don't know where this guy's head is at, but he is supposed to be one our tougher guys on the ice and he is playing like a feline. Letting opposing players walk to the front of our net is a sure way to lose games, especially in the playoffs.

Ballard does it right, he shoved Toews face first into the post just for standing there. Why is the only dman who has a set this year, on everyone's off-season chopping block?

Totally agree. The most egregious thing to me is Bieksa's laziness and overall lack of compete level. He could have at least attempted to check Hossa before he's allowed to walk out untouched in front our goal. I don't know where this guy's head is at, but he is supposed to be one our tougher guys on the ice and he is playing like a feline. Letting opposing players walk to the front of our net is a sure way to lose games, especially in the playoffs.

Ballard does it right, he shoved Toews face first into the post just for standing there. Why is the only dman who has a set this year, on everyone's off-season chopping block?

Remember Bieksa's first season? He was an absolute beast, fought all the time and hit everything in sight. It seems like he's too entitled or something now. He should be a healthy scratch for a game or two.

Ballard is our only defense man who plays physically consistently and that's pretty sad when he's always stuck on the 3rd line and never gets promoted for good play.

Remember Bieksa's first season? He was an absolute beast, fought all the time and hit everything in sight. It seems like he's too entitled or something now. He should be a healthy scratch for a game or two.

Ballard is our only defense man who plays physically consistently and that's pretty sad when he's always stuck on the 3rd line and never gets promoted for good play.

IKR? I miss that old school Bieksa. Someone with cojones needs to wake him up since apparently the coaches aren't getting through to him. Guy needs a phone call from Torts.

Looks like new D pairs at practice today:

Rightly so, I think. Tanev deserves the promotion and Garrison definitely deserves the demotion. Poor Ballard - in the doghouse for life lol.

John Garrett brought up a really good point the other day. He said that Garrison comes from a system in Florida where if the D is under pressure in their own zone, they are just supposed to dispose of the puck in a panic and just get it out of harm's way. The Canucks play a system where even under pressure, they are expected to do something with the puck - get it out of harm's way but also try and counter the play into an offensive opportunity. Garrison isn't used to doing that so he keeps messing up.

Perhaps the Canucks would be better off signing players who come from teams with similar defensive strategies to ours. This ways we don't have to retool a player's entire game

And that is also the reason why we haven't been able to score as much as last year or the year before. Ehrhoff and Salo make our transition game better with their quick outlet passes or Ehrhoff's quick skating out of the defensive zone. Canucks blueline needs dynamic defensemen not one dimensional ones. Otherwise I'd rather had Mitchell instead of Garrison.

And that is also the reason why we haven't been able to score as much as last year or the year before. Ehrhoff and Salo make our transition game better with their quick outlet passes or Ehrhoff's quick skating out of the defensive zone. Canucks blueline needs dynamic defensemen not one dimensional ones. Otherwise I'd rather had Mitchell instead of Garrison.

Yeah hopefully Connauton can make the jump soon, I feel like he will help lots in that regard.

Edit: I know he doesn't look that good this year but I think it has to do with coaching because everyone on the Wolves looks like they've took a step back.

I think he will do well up here just like JS even though he didn't look that great in the AHL either.

Put me on the side of those with patience.

I don't think Garrison has been bad, the haters thought Hammer was bad after 20 games too.

Once the coaches get settled with him in a role he will be not just good but great.

All of you doubters, I have you marked. I'll remember.

I sure hope he proves me wrong, I don't think he's bad but I don't think he will ever be as good here as he was in Florida.

I would rather have gotten a defense man who can play the right side or can at least help with our transition game... since that's clearly what we need.

Just doesn't really make sense to me to have Hamhuis,Edler,Ballard and Garrison who play the left side and all suck on the right............

This vid shows why our defensive strategy/mentality needs to change, and it all starts with the coaches. Take a look at Bieksa and only him. He is nowhere near Hossa when he gets the puck and heads towards the net, why? Because he was expecting Burrows to get the puck on the boards and start breaking out... he was thinking offence when we didn't even have possession yet. He floated around and was about to head up the ice with our forwards but their player stopped the puck and Hossa did what Hossa does and drove to the net (with no one in his way) and made a great power move around Schneids. Garrison did the right thing in tying up the other guy, it was BK3's offence-first mentality that lead to this goal, which IMO is our coaches fault. Same reason why we get caught pinching all the time, ALWAYS thinking offence first, but defence wins games.

Totally not Garrison's fault and all Bieksa.

I agree with this assessment but the coaches will not be advising a d man to start heading up the ice when you are hemmed in under attack. What this does illustrate is the high net worth and abilities or skill level of Hamhuis,whom carried Kevin these last couple of years.

Kevin is a #3 or #4 and our #1 and #2 were Ehrhoff and Salo.

Again, like Ballard, I will never consider Garrison a "bad" D-man, but you don't give a guy who had half a good season that much money for that long. And for everyone who is saying that his D has been good enough, again, the two best defensive Ds in the game make 3.5, and Garrison isn't even close to their level, so if he's not producing offensively he's not earning his cheque. If he's still playing this way at the end of next year, he is getting bought out.

Again, like Ballard, I will never consider Garrison a "bad" D-man, but you don't give a guy who had half a good season that much money for that long. And for everyone who is saying that his D has been good enough, again, the two best defensive Ds in the game make 3.5, and Garrison isn't even close to their level, so if he's not producing offensively he's not earning his cheque. If he's still playing this way at the end of next year, he is getting bought out.

Although I don't agree with you, I have to say that if this happens, it really should be the end of Mike Gillis. Reading this and the AV thread, as well as the comments on Booth and Edler only suggest that MGs decisions on contracts have been abysmal.

Again, I do not agree with these opinions, but seriously folks. The people that are being critical of these moves really should be looking at the captain of the ship, not the crew.

Hossa's second goal

at least Garrison tied someone up in front of the net, I doubt he expected Bieksa to just watch and slowly glide back

That goal wasn't Garrison's fault.

I think people need to cut Garrison some slack, he's here for the long term to give him some time to adapt to the team. The defensive systems are very different between Vancouver and Florida. It's not realistic to expect Garrison to walk on the team (without training camp I might add) and play like he did last year in Florida. Garrison's game will improve, I don't know when it will happen but I have no doubt it will. Throughout Garrison's hockey career he's been a hard worker, there's nothing to suggest that we won't continue to work hard and get better as he's always done.

Although I don't agree with you, I have to say that if this happens, it really should be the end of Mike Gillis. Reading this and the AV thread, as well as the comments on Booth and Edler only suggest that MGs decisions on contracts have been abysmal.

Again, I do not agree with these opinions, but seriously folks. The people that are being critical of these moves really should be looking at the captain of the ship, not the crew.

Just wait till next year when 4 of our D are ALL on high paid, long term contracts, AND NTC's!

I agree with this assessment but the coaches will not be advising a d man to start heading up the ice when you are hemmed in under attack. What this does illustrate is the high net worth and abilities or skill level of Hamhuis,whom carried Kevin these last couple of years.

Kevin is a #3 or #4 and our #1 and #2 were Ehrhoff and Salo.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's just Bieksa that is on his own thinking offence all the time (how many times have we seen him rush the puck up the ice this year compared to other seasons?) or if it's the coaching staff. Right now I'm blaming the coaching regarding our D strategy because not only is our defensive zone coverage lacking, but our insanely ridiculous (year after year) pinching strategy! I just get the feeling like the coaches are asking our guys to pinch wayyyy too much because if they were really leaving it to the discretion of our D then you'd think they would put a stop to it considering how many times they get caught every single game, every single year. And it's not just Bieksa that gets caught, it's Hammer, Edler, Garrison. Really Tanev and Ballard are the only ones who rarely get caught. The other thing that is bothering me is, although I think it's great that Tanev is being promoted, why is Ballard still getting the short end of the stick? The guy has consistently improved, been our toughest D, the best skater out of all our D, he sticks up for our players, yet AV still insults him by promoting Tanev? If I were Ballard by now, I wouldn't be waiting for a trade, I'd be asking for one.

This thread was made before he started playing even worse, he's hit another level of low.

He got paid 4.6 million in large part to being an offensive presence and threat. Blame Garrison or blame management for not doing their due diligence when it comes to scouting players. He needs to step it up

Archived