The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

The way I see it, Garrison's definitely struggled to both live up to the hype of his huge season last year and to live up to his big contract in a shortened season. But when you strip away all of that, I just see a guy struggling with adjusting to playing in the West on a regular basis, where in general players are much grittier and the D is required to be much tighter. And it's only been 15 games! Kind of reminds me of Andrew Alberts when he first came over (they only differ by a couple million bucks :P ) and look how long it took AA to get comfortable.

I'm not saying we should just accept that Garrison hasn't lived up to his $. I think it's worth discussing so long as there's some perspective to it as well. I thought he had some good moments last game when he was 1 on 1 against Toews but clearly on a whole the D had problems last game (yes, including CDC's pet Ballard who was running around in our own zone just like the other 5 ;) ). Still, Garrison seems like a good team guy though and looks to be improving; hopefully the D shake up won't mess with him too much. Ballard has been fantastic this year so hopefully he can help out.

The funny thing is Garrison took less money to come to Vancouver, Apparently! I think he got better term here and that is how the Canucks have him. With that being said, he has not played very poorly, just not up to expectations. Give him some more time to adjust, I'm very confident he will be better down the road!

I sure hope he proves me wrong, I don't think he's bad but I don't think he will ever be as good here as he was in Florida.

I would rather have gotten a defense man who can play the right side or can at least help with our transition game... since that's clearly what we need.

Just doesn't really make sense to me to have Hamhuis,Edler,Ballard and Garrison who play the left side and all suck on the right............

You're jumping the gun on your assessment. Garrison has barely played the right side yet, he has been playing the left with both Bieksa and Edler. Once he settles in as a right side on the 3rd pairing with Ballard he will be up on that side with Eddy. Our transition game has less to do with any problems from our backend as it does from the coaching of Edler on the PP. If our PP is scoring at a 20%+ rate there would be no complaints to be made.

Although I don't agree with you, I have to say that if this happens, it really should be the end of Mike Gillis. Reading this and the AV thread, as well as the comments on Booth and Edler only suggest that MGs decisions on contracts have been abysmal.

Again, I do not agree with these opinions, but seriously folks. The people that are being critical of these moves really should be looking at the captain of the ship, not the crew.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I don't think Garrison is a bad player, and I don't blame him for taking the contract. If I get offered too much to do a job then I'm not about to step up and tell them I'm not worth it, I'm going to take the money. It's management's fault for giving him that contract at that length. Again, it's not that I'm saying he shouldn't be playing the game, but he is getting paid to put up points and regardless of how stellar his defensive play is, it's not enough because you don't pay purely defensive D that much money.

I hope he proves me wrong, I hope he starts producing, all I'm saying is it's a risky contract to offer to an unproven player because of the length and if it doesn't pan out and he's not earning his paycheque, it makes the most sense to buy him out because of the cap going down. He has a full season after this one to turn it around, but he has to be better than he has been.

The way I see it, Garrison's definitely struggled to both live up to the hype of his huge season last year and to live up to his big contract in a shortened season. But when you strip away all of that, I just see a guy struggling with adjusting to playing in the West on a regular basis, where in general players are much grittier and the D is required to be much tighter. And it's only been 15 games! Kind of reminds me of Andrew Alberts when he first came over (they only differ by a couple million bucks :P ) and look how long it took AA to get comfortable.

I'm not saying we should just accept that Garrison hasn't lived up to his $. I think it's worth discussing so long as there's some perspective to it as well. I thought he had some good moments last game when he was 1 on 1 against Toews but clearly on a whole the D had problems last game (yes, including CDC's pet Ballard who was running around in our own zone just like the other 5 ;) ). Still, Garrison seems like a good team guy though and looks to be improving; hopefully the D shake up won't mess with him too much. Ballard has been fantastic this year so hopefully he can help out.

What I see is a guy, like Edler, who had a long term injury during the off season and lockout and is taking a long time to get his game back. They both only started skating a week or two before the season started.

Archived