The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

What I see is a guy, like Edler, who had a long term injury during the off season and lockout and is taking a long time to get his game back. They both only started skating a week or two before the season started.

That too :P

Keith Ballard makes everyone look better :ph34r:

I believe it. I honestly believe he had more of an effect on Tanev, and not the other way 'round (though playing in Chicago was clearly beneficial to his game as well). Now, I'm not one of those "Ballard deserves better than AV's neverending doghouse treatment!!!1!" types but he really has impressed me this year and Garrison's play tonight has been his best all year so far. Hopefully the pairing continues to work in our favour :D

One thing I noticed from all the goals he scored in FLA: he winds up the shot real fast considering how hard it is. The same thing was the case with his goal last game, and I didn't remember seeing him do that before while he was wearing the blue and green.

We need more of that from him .. hopefully he's starting to feel comfortable with our system.

One thing I noticed from all the goals he scored in FLA: he winds up the shot real fast considering how hard it is. The same thing was the case with his goal last game, and I didn't remember seeing him do that before while he was wearing the blue and green.

We need more of that from him .. hopefully he's starting to feel comfortable with our system.

I noticed his quick wind-up too. He wound up, hit Roussel, got the puck back and wound up again without anyone on the PK having time to do anything about it. Crazy quick for such a hard shot.

why do we always take players from Florida only to get players a shell of their former self?

MG needs to stop!

ya MG stop signing guys like Roberto Luongo... they are shells? and the guy a couple posts above disagrees with signing Bieksa!! Too many general managers and not enough rightous fans... I think some people better start puff puff passing.. all that bogarting has your thoughts all cloudy. i was looking forward to all the "backtracking" on how maybe its too early to tell if Garrison will work out.. looks like maybe he does know how to play hockey after all..

What, no comments yet since the game tonight? 1 goal and 5 blocked shots in 17:34 of ice time tonight.

I haven't posted in this thread up to now, because I think it's far too soon to declare someone a bust.

While it's true that Garrison has struggled so far, I agree with stawns in that a combination of recovering from a long-term injury, coupled with adjusting to a new team/system has slowed his development. I see enough in his game to believe that he'll get there.

Last night, I thought, was his best game so far this year, with, or without the goal.

Kudos to Bowness, for the new pairings.

I do get a kick out of how the naysayers disappear when they have obvious evidence against their arguments. Makes it easier when you've been arguing against their opinion all along.

I noticed his quick wind-up too. He wound up, hit Roussel, got the puck back and wound up again without anyone on the PK having time to do anything about it. Crazy quick for such a hard shot.

That's something that people have been saying about him, as well as having a hard shot he has a small wind-up where others with big shots take a lot longer to get the shot off due to pulling the stick back so far to generate power.

Three points in 16 games? justifies his contract? He was selling his offense, we bought it, and it certainly hasn't paid off.

How many times do we have to point out that this is wrong? GIllis, thankfully, is smarter than you. He did not pay Garrison for his offense. Everybody who pays attention knew that Garrison was not going to score at a 16 goal pace, and that he is not going to rack up assists. What he is going to do, is play great shutdown defense, while chipping in on offense. He is already doing that, despite what CDC seems to think. That's why we paid him.

If you're disappointed by Garrison's offensive production, you have no one to blame but yourself. Pay more attention next time.

The high end realistic goal for Garrison's offensive production should be about 0.4 ppg meaning he would get 19p in a 48 game season. He currently has 3p in 16 games for a 0.1875 ppg. I expect this ratio to shoot right up over the next 10 games or so as he gets adjusted.

I'm going to keep track of his magic number to reach his 19 points in this thread just to remind everyone when they say he isn't producing offensively.

Garrison Magic Number = 16

How many times do we have to point out that this is wrong? GIllis, thankfully, is smarter than you. He did not pay Garrison for his offense. Everybody who pays attention knew that Garrison was not going to score at a 16 goal pace, and that he is not going to rack up assists. What he is going to do, is play great shutdown defense, while chipping in on offense. He is already doing that, despite what CDC seems to think. That's why we paid him.

If you're disappointed by Garrison's offensive production, you have no one to blame but yourself. Pay more attention next time.

What I find particularly funny is people are raving about Ballard now and I'm sure some of the same people happy about Ballard are ragging on Garrison in this thread.

Garrison 3p, +6, 12PIM, 7.7sh%, 15hits, 20blks, 4.55Corsi, 0.817QoC

Ballard 1p, +4, 16PIM, 0.0sh%, 21hits, 18blks, 10.89Corsi, -0.317QoC

So, Garrison has a $4.6M cap hit while Ballard's is $4.2M. Ballard only beats Garrison in two categories: hits and Corsi. Garrison beats Ballard in all other stats I mentioned, points, +/-, penalties, shooting percentage, blocks, and quality of competition. Garrison has played more minutes, but also faces tougher competition in those minutes so that should even out yet he still has better stats.

I love that Ballard is actually playing well, don't get me wrong, but to praise Ballard now and put down Garrison considering what both players have done this year is not particularly smart.

What hell are you talking about? His offense WAS his major selling point and we bought it. Gillis didn't fork out 4.6 million for his +6 rating and his 18 points prior to that, I'll tell you that right now. And I don't think anyone ever stated around here that he was going to total or better his 16 goals from last season but we certainly sure as hell expected a lot better than a 15 point season over 82 games which he currently on pace for.

What I find particularly funny is people are raving about Ballard now and I'm sure some of the same people happy about Ballard are ragging on Garrison in this thread.

So, Garrison has a $4.6M cap hit while Ballard's is $4.2M. Ballard only beats Garrison in two categories: hits and Corsi. Garrison beats Ballard in all other stats I mentioned, points, +/-, penalties, shooting percentage, blocks, and quality of competition. Garrison has played more minutes, but also faces tougher competition in those minutes so that should even out yet he still has better stats.

I love that Ballard is actually playing well, don't get me wrong, but to praise Ballard now and put down Garrison considering what both players have done this year is not particularly smart.

Using advanded stats is never smart :P . Plugging in inaccurate numbers no matter how perfect the equation, will still provide an inaccurate solution. Hard stats (goals, assists, points) are about the only numbers worth noting, although even they aren't always accurate. Nothing beats watching to see how well a player plays his position to see how well he is playing. In this case: Ballard > Everyone. Garrison is not playing better than Ballard but he is hardly the heel most seem to think he is.

Numbers aren't everything, you have to watch their play. Ballard actually boxes out the player in front of our goalie and when a shots coming and he knows he can't block it or if the goalie can save it easily, he gets out of the way and lets the goalie take it.

Archived