The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

- Offseason groin injury

- New system

- New partner

- Sub 20 game sample size

His possession metrics are fine, and he hasn't looked terrible.

Lets re-visit this topic at the end of the season when we can objectively measure Garrisons performance.

Off season groin injury back in September is seriously being used an excuse? Yea not buying that.

New partner doesn't mean anything when he keeps getting embarrassed in 1 on 1 situations. Not bringing the offense like he's suppose to so people change their minds and call him a defensive defenseman. Yea he can't play defense all that well either it seems...

Off season groin injury back in September is seriously being used an excuse? Yea not buying that.

New partner doesn't mean anything when he keeps getting embarrassed in 1 on 1 situations. Not bringing the offense like he's suppose to so people change their minds and call him a defensive defenseman. Yea he can't play defense all that well either it seems...

There was talk of him missing the start of the season...

This means he misses an entire summer of training, and practice.

I would call that a pretty good excuse.

And having a different partner/system is a big adjustment. Look at Ballards learning curve, Alberts learning curve.

As for his defensive game, by no means has he been our best defensive player, but his possession numbers are fine.

Give it a bigger sample than 20 games

There was talk of him missing the start of the season...

This means he misses an entire summer of training, and practice.

I would call that a pretty good excuse.

And having a different partner/system is a big adjustment. Look at Ballards learning curve, Alberts learning curve.

As for his defensive game, by no means has he been our best defensive player, but his possession numbers are fine.

Give it a bigger sample than 20 games

Nope the groin injury was reported back in September and I posted a link to it in this thread earlier when it was started. Doesn't give him an excuse as he still would of had ample time to prepare for the season that started JAN 19th 4 months from september.

Nope the groin injury was reported back in September and I posted a link to it in this thread earlier when it was started. Doesn't give him an excuse as he still would of had ample time to prepare for the season that started JAN 19th 4 months from september.

Taken off IR December 18th

http://www.news1130.com/2012/12/18/canucks-take-jason-garrison-off-injured-list/

So cram months worth of training into a 1 month window

Taken off IR December 18th

http://www.news1130....f-injured-list/

So cram months worth of training into a 1 month window

1 month is plenty especially since he already had trained prior to his groin injury. Just because he has a groin injury doesn't mean they lay off workouts completely. Just another lame duck excuse

the only area in which garrison isn't worse than alberts is offense, and in that area they're equal. alberts is better defensively, bigger, more physical, faster (seriously), and he's a right hand shot which the team desperately and obviously needs.

and the contract details speak for themselves.

if garrison isn't bought out in the offseason this team is doomed.

the only area in which garrison isn't worse than alberts is offense, and in that area they're equal. alberts is better defensively, bigger, more physical, faster (seriously), and he's a right hand shot which the team desperately and obviously needs.

and the contract details speak for themselves.

if garrison isn't bought out in the offseason this team is doomed.

Alberts shoots left. And Id much rather have Garrison in the line-up instead of Alberts.

Garrisons "bad play" is being atrociously over-exaggerated.

People actually want to bench him, a guy who's had some of the best defensive stats in the league the last two years, a guy who has had 2-3 bad defensive games total so far, for Alberts or Barker.

Try figuring that out.

The Canucks have possibly two D men that can play better than mediocre defense, Hamhuis and Tanev.

I don't think Garrison is that bad defensively. He's not performing up to his standards yet but you have to give him more time to adjust. Plus a lot of our other blueliners are struggling immensely and we know they can be better too .. a lot of people on here are just using Garrison as a scapegoat when it's really a team game.

Besides, if there should be any scapegoat for this mess it should be coaching (Bowness in particular). After Bieksa went out we shuffled the D pairings that were already working just to make way for Alberts to slot in - stupid idea since instead of having 1 or 2 solid pairings and ending up with a 3rd mediocre pairing, you balance out the crap and throw out the good. The strategy of balancing out skill and ability might work for forward lines but usually it messes up chemistry on D so bad that the risks are borderline retarded at best.

I hope we don't see any of this experimenting in the playoffs, otherwise fire drills like the one we had tonight are going to mess up our cup hopes.

People actually want to bench him, a guy who's had some of the best defensive stats in the league the last two years, a guy who has had 2-3 bad defensive games total so far, for Alberts or Barker.

Try figuring that out.

I know, he has had a few bad games, but not as many as alot think, I have actually been impressed with his physical skill in handling players and defensive play, I also think he is much more mobile than some think.

I know, he has had a few bad games, but not as many as alot think, I have actually been impressed with his physical skill in handling players and defensive play, I also think he is much more mobile than some think.

This. Hes had a few mistakes here and there, but is playing responsible, good hockey.

The goals will come, and people will forget this thread ever existed.

really? because i see him lose more puck battles than win. i dont see him boxing out guys very well. i dont see him battling or anticipating consistently...when i saw michael granlund out battle and strip the puck from garrison, go to the net and score the other night, well, really?...

right now his lack of mobility may be the biggest contributor to the above....hopefully its not a will thing...when he has the puck and is forced to make a play he seems to panic, also due to mobility issues. we saw this tonight on a brutal pass in the opp zone on the pp - the pass to nowhere.

i like the guy, and im hoping for the best, but im seeing a pricy signing here based on one good year...the salo non signing vs the garrison signing during a cup contention window is looking like a bit of a brain fart so far.

really? because i see him lose more puck battles than win. i dont see him boxing out guys very well. i dont see him battling or anticipating consistently...when i saw michael granlund out battle and strip the puck from garrison, go to the net and score the other night, well, really?...

right now his lack of mobility may be the biggest contributor to the above....hopefully its not a will thing...when he has the puck and is forced to make a play he seems to panic, also due to mobility issues. we saw this tonight on a brutal pass in the opp zone on the pp - the pass to nowhere.

i like the guy, and im hoping for the best, but im seeing a pricy signing here based on one good year...the salo non signing vs the garrison signing during a cup contention window is looking like a bit of a brain fart so far.

He has an active stick and is good at handling bodies and winning battles, I also think he isn't as slow as some people think he is.

Gotta remember he did have an injury too, and Ballard talked about how hard it was to come here right away off injury and it is probably the same for Garrison.

Archived