The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

I like the way he's playing. He's not physical in the sense of making hits, but he uses his stregnth, grinds the boards, and defends the goal mount pretty well.

3 goals, 4 points, +3, with 19 shots on goal over his last 10, which for his skill set is about as much as you can ask.

Also, he seems to be looking fairly consistent from game to game. Solid #4 D-Man.

It's quite sad..... I really wanted this to work out. We have a BC boy here, willing to take a pay cut to fight for his hometown team, bleed, sweat, and fight for the team. So far a huge disappointment. His +8 stands out very well, but beyond that, I'm quite disappointed in him. Really am. NO joke. 4.6 million is a huge overpayment and they say he already took a pay cut to come here. Looking at it last July, the list of defencemens on the UFA table wasn't that much, and yes, it was him, Denis Wideman , and Matt Carl were the big name free agent defencemens. You can say for the price those players went for, Gillis hit the jackpot at 4.6 million. But he is the biggest disappointment this season. I don't even think you can say he is solid defensively. I don't see it.

Last year I will say he had the benefit of playing with Brian Campbell. He really did.

You could of just said "I"m disappointed in Garrison's play so far and think we overpaid for him" instead of writing that paragraph that basically repeats your one point that you're disappointed in him. How about saying why? You say he's not solid defensively (the only point you make) but he's leading the D in +/-

He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

He was a calming influence, I will give Salo that.

As to hitting the net:

Salo has 2 goals on 27 shots, 7.4 shooting percentage in 24 games.

Garrison has 4 goals on 42 shots. 9.5% shooting percentage in 25 games.

regards,

G.

He was a calming influence, I will give Salo that.

As to hitting the net:

Salo has 2 goals on 27 shots, 7.4 shooting percentage in 24 games.

Garrison has 4 goals on 42 shots. 9.5% shooting percentage in 25 games.

regards,

G.

That doesn't tell me Salo doesn't shoot enough.

regards,

C. CY L.

I love how people post, "He's plus 8, but that's about all he's done this season." For those of you who don't know this yet... plus 8 doesnt just happen... It comes from being on the ice for 8 more goals for than against, which is a strong indication of a defencemen's overall play. Garrison took some time to adjust, but is playing very solid now while scoring the odd bomb from the point.

Now let me ask you this question. In retrospect, who would you rather have for the Stanley cup finals against the big, strong bruins, Ehrhoff or Garrison?

I love how people post, "He's plus 8, but that's about all he's done this season." For those of you who don't know this yet... plus 8 doesnt just happen... It comes from being on the ice for 8 more goals for than against, which is a strong indication of a defencemen's overall play. Garrison took some time to adjust, but is playing very solid now while scoring the odd bomb from the point.

Now let me ask you this question. In retrospect, who would you rather have for the Stanley cup finals against the big, strong bruins, Ehrhoff or Garrison?

Both with no Ballard :emot-parrot:

Quite possibly yes. We were always a better team with Salo in the lineup, regardless of his goal totals. He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Garrison, but he (and Edler in particular) need to get it together big time. Arrg so many issues with the team this year, can't call out just the D.

I think the calming effect is in your head. Garrison has been fine defensively as far as I'm concerned. What would really be nice is if somebody could start putting a pass into the sweet spot for a one timer. He has a great one timer and he keeps getting passes in his feet or behind him. I'd like to see him on the 1st pp with the Sedins more. He's also one of the few that gets physical in front of our own net. You do realize the only player with a better +/- on the team is Henrik.

None of our D are paid what the elite d-men are getting. Stop expecting them to perform like elite d-men and even those elite d-men make their mistakes. Edler has certainly had his bad games but Hamhuis hasn't exactly performed as well defensively as his usual self. It seems many here are just looking for reasons to be critical of Garrison because he replaced a favorite in Salo.

CDC has been wrong about a lot of players over the years, but I don't think they've ever been AS wrong as they are about Garrison. A 4.6 cap hit for an elite defender who can chip in with above average offense is a damn bargain.

Elite may be a stretch, but very good isn't. I agree that most here are clueless to market values. Weber 4 years at $14m, two at $12m, then it drops to $6m. Suter two years at $12m, one at $11m, then five at $9m. Compare that to what our guys are getting and it's apparent we got very good deals without life long contracts.

Corsi numbers and real-time stats are more useful than +/-.

For those of you who don't know this yet... +/- is a SIMPLISTIC indication of a d-man's overall play. Hits, takeaways, giveaways, blocked shots, shots/missed shots give a more telling story. They're all on one page on NHL.com.

Corsi numbers and real-time stats are more useful than +/-.  

For those of you who don't know this yet... +/- is a SIMPLISTIC indication of a d-man's overall play.  Hits, takeaways, giveaways, blocked shots, shots/missed shots give a more telling story.  They're all on one page on NHL.com.

Obviously you can go more in depth than just plus/minus. But plus/minus is always a great indication of how well a DMan is playing. Especially if the team in front of him has been average. Again, plus 9 doesnt just happen unless you're having a positive effect on the play. i dont care how many hits, block shots ect he has, but if he's on the ice for more goals for than against, then that is a positive situation any way you look at it. how many hits does Tanev have this year? 8 hits... yet he has probably been are best defensive defenseman. And Edler is ahead of Garrison in real-time stats, yet has been playing horribly defensively and is minus 2. And i think we can all agree that Kasian has been pretty suspect in his own zone this year, and not surprisingly, he is a team low minus 7. Plus/Minus matters and I would say it's a STRONG indication of a DMan's play at this point of the season.

Archived