The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Market value is determined by a number of factors other than just years played. You do realize other teams were offering up more money to get him as well right? He is making less then market value for a top two D man.

I know and I wish he had signed with another team so he can be a bust somewhere else.

The guy hasn't paid his dues. Guys like Bieksa, Hamhuis all played 6-7 seasons before finally earning the retirement contract. Garrison plays 2 full seasons and gets his big contract right after the ELC. Where is the bridge contract? He should have been given a 2 year deal and after that if he performs then you sign him long term. From what I've seen so far, the guy is probably the worst skater on the back end next to maybe Alberts, and he can't make clutch plays in the offensive zone which means he has little hockey sense.

He's certainly not a fast skater, but his positioning does play a significant factor into how out of place he looked early on.

I agree he is just an average skater.

Good defensemen get by being in the right place. Salo and Mitchell, as examples, were never fast either but rarely looked slow. That happens when you are trying to catch up to the play rather than having it come to you.

Early on he was very mediocre in all aspects but of late his defense has been great and his offensive game is slowly improving. Its to early debating if he's worth $4+ million cap hit. A fair evaluation to give him is by a full 82 game schedule next season.

At 1st he was being under utlized but now that we are getting to see him more and more on the PP, he keeps unleashing those boomers, even if they don't hit the net, they bounce back off the boards and create scoring opportunities, now if our forwards would just shoot a litle more. Garrison is looking pretty good on that unit.

Wow, I clicked on the last page of this thread, expecting this to have turned into a "Burrows, do we really need him thread?" where everyone makes fun of the OP for being so wrong.

But people are STILL mad at Garrison. What games are you guys watching? He and Hamhuis have faced the toughest competition of our D-men, and are handling it very well. His possession numbers are about equal to Tanev and Ballard's, who have faced much, much weaker competition. Garrison is playing the shut down D role extremely well.

He's also chipping in on offense. He will never be a great assists guy, but he's getting almost 2 SOG a game, which is strong for a defenseman. He is on pace for about 20 points over an 82 game season. 4.6 million for a high quality shut down defenseman who can also play the point and chip in an offense is an extremely good deal. For once, CDC, appreciate what we have. Garrison is good.

Wow, I clicked on the last page of this thread, expecting this to have turned into a "Burrows, do we really need him thread?" where everyone makes fun of the OP for being so wrong.

But people are STILL mad at Garrison. What games are you guys watching? He and Hamhuis have faced the toughest competition of our D-men, and are handling it very well. His possession numbers are about equal to Tanev and Ballard's, who have faced much, much weaker competition. Garrison is playing the shut down D role extremely well.

He's also chipping in on offense. He will never be a great assists guy, but he's getting almost 2 SOG a game, which is strong for a defenseman. He is on pace for about 20 points over an 82 game season. 4.6 million for a high quality shut down defenseman who can also play the point and chip in an offense is an extremely good deal. For once, CDC, appreciate what we have. Garrison is good.

They're watching the games wearing a blindfold that reads on the inside, "HATE THE FLORIDA PANTHERS". Garrison has been great defensively and he's earning that paycheque - and low and behold, the powerplay also starts looking up once he's put on there. He's one of the best d-men we have.

Garrison would already be a success under most fans microscopes if he was given the cherry powerplay time he was brought in for. That aside, he's been good in his own end, especially clearing out goalie crashers.

It's okay to miss Salo and not want Garrison to fail to justify it.

They're watching the games wearing a blindfold that reads on the inside, "HATE THE FLORIDA PANTHERS". Garrison has been great defensively and he's earning that paycheque - and low and behold, the powerplay also starts looking up once he's put on there. He's one of the best d-men we have.

Yes, he is. Garrison may have gotten off to a bit of a slow start on the season, but he's playing very well defensively now. In fact, he even leads our Dmen in +/-. (He's currently at a +9. Tanev, in second place, is a +6. Only Hamhuis and Edler are in the -s.) And game after game he usually gives me at least one reason to shout "Nice, Garrison!" at my TV.

like all the nuck d-men are finding out hitting the net with the slap shot isn't as easy as salo made it look. i'd say he looks okay adjusting to the system, new partner and expectation from himself and the fans. AV seems to have hard time using players in certain roles while others that don't perform just get a free pass.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but he was the best player available and more so he wanted to be part of this team that alone goes a long way . It wasn't just about the money which speaks volumes to his character.

like all the nuck d-men are finding out hitting the net with the slap shot isn't as easy as salo made it look.

There seems to be this idea around here that Garrison is some kind of downgrade over what Salo gave us, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Garrison's shooting percentage is better than Salo's this season and it is better than Salo's was last year when he played in Vancouver.

Garrison also leads Sami in virtually every other defender category: He has more hits, more blocks, more takeaways, more games played and of course, more gaols. The on;y area where he isn't better than SS is giveaways, of which he has 13 to Salo's 11.

He's on pace for 8 goals this year, and its a shortened season. So if you take that into account, you could say he would be on pace for 15 or 16 goals in a full season, which is what he did last year. Plus he's only now getting proper power play time. Oh and he's a solid +9.

Coming into a new system, in a shortened season, with a very short camp...I'd say he's doing pretty good.

He's been decent.

Hasn't taken quite enough shots as I had hoped yet, and minus that one giveaway the other night, he has played pretty well defensively compared to our other D.

6 games into the season, and on a new team. Not overly concerned yet.

Ya know, I understand bitching about forwards when the team is not winning because we are not scoring, and I understand bitching about goalies and defencemen when we are losing because we are giving up too many goals, but we have been winning low scoring games - which means that the defencemen and goalies have to be, as a unit, playing well. Garrison gets big minutes - if he was playing badly,we'd be losing, but guess what - we aren't, so your comment is an enormous fail.

Archived