The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

There seems to be this idea around here that Garrison is some kind of downgrade over what Salo gave us, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Garrison's shooting percentage is better than Salo's this season and it is better than Salo's was last year when he played in Vancouver.

Garrison also leads Sami in virtually every other defender category: He has more hits, more blocks, more takeaways, more games played and of course, more gaols. The on;y area where he isn't better than SS is giveaways, of which he has 13 to Salo's 11.

I like it when people look up some facts and quantify things - kind of kicks the crap out of people's unsupported prejudices.

Ya know, I understand bitching about forwards when the team is not winning because we are not scoring, and I understand bitching about goalies and defencemen when we are losing because we are giving up too many goals, but we have been winning low scoring games - which means that the defencemen and goalies have to be, as a unit, playing well. Garrison gets big minutes - if he was playing badly,we'd be losing, but guess what - we aren't, so your comment is an enormous fail.

:picard:

You know I posted that at the end of January right? I mean, I even said "6 games into the season"

Plus I never said Garrison was playing badly. I actually said he'd been playing pretty well defensively.

So whose comment is really an enormous fail?

Ya know, I understand bitching about forwards when the team is not winning because we are not scoring, and I understand bitching about goalies and defencemen when we are losing because we are giving up too many goals, but we have been winning low scoring games - which means that the defencemen and goalies have to be, as a unit, playing well. Garrison gets big minutes - if he was playing badly,we'd be losing, but guess what - we aren't, so your comment is an enormous fail.

lol did you notice when he posted his comment? lol. You were two months off, and that was when Garrison wasn't doing very well. So, his argument at the time was valid.

There seems to be this idea around here that Garrison is some kind of downgrade over what Salo gave us, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Garrison's shooting percentage is better than Salo's this season and it is better than Salo's was last year when he played in Vancouver.

Garrison also leads Sami in virtually every other defender category: He has more hits, more blocks, more takeaways, more games played and of course, more goals. The only area where he isn't better than SS is giveaways, of which he has 13 to Salo's 11.

Don't forget his +/- (best on our team for a d man). Also I am amazed at how robust he seems. He never seems to have an off night. He took a bit of time to get used to our system but he's not suffering from the tweaked back/pulled groin/sore ankle from a blocked shot/etc. that the rest of the team is. He's working as hard as everyone else yet seems unfazed by all the action he sees. His size no doubt plays into this but I think he's got a very high level of awareness on the ice which is the big contributor.

In February this is what I predicted Garrison would finish with (keep in mind he had one or two goals at the time)

7 goals

12 assists

90 shots on goal

55 missed shots

65 hits

65 blocked shots

+ 12

Right now he is on pace for:

8 goals

5 assists

87 shots on goal

59 missed shots

42 hits

59 blocked shots

+14

I agree entirely .. the only upside to Garrison finishing more checks, when they are spread out in front of them, will be to force forwards to keep their head up more .. Phaneuf is a waste of space, allowing so many odd-man situations with his "kill or miss" mentality ..

I expect him to start hitting a bit more as he gets comfortable with the system .. if you watch him, he sometimes shoes a forward with one hand and puts them on their arse .. his strength could become a scary attribute if he used it a bit more often ..

Not high-risk hits .. finishing checks that are there to be had .. will make him an even better shut-down defender .. best of both worlds ..

Yep. Also agree entirely - and I think that once he gets more used to a partner, and particularly when he's playing with Hamhius, he'll have more trust that Hammer has his back and he can afford to take slightly more measured risks.

I think he's a decent D-man overall and his skating ability doesn't really seem to hinder his play at all.

I just wish he'd get better at keeping the puck low on his one timers and hit the net more consistently. Some of these guys need to figure out that they don't need 100+ mph wild bombs, that no one knows where they're going, when there's traffic in front. An 85-90 mph low shot that actually hits the net will usually be better. Better chance to tip, less chance of hurting your own forwards, and any rebounds are more likely to stay in scoring areas. Save the hammers for when no one is in front and you're trying to beat the goalie clean while he's repositioning laterally.

Another solid game tonight .. he is working at getting his shot thru .. if he blasts the first 2 or 3 shots, lanes seem to "open-up" later in the game .. the more time he has on our PP, the better he, and "It", will get IMO

Garrison looks like he has finally adjusted.

I have to admit, I was concerned when I saw the first half of the season. Slow foot speed, lack oh hockey awareness, etc.

I think it was all just a byproduct of him learning the system.

He's still not fast by any means but in terms of hockey sense, he is showing it and has been very steady on the backend recently

If he can find a way to hit the net more on his shots and get it through the blockers, I would be VERY happy with his play

I couldn't be happier about the signing of Jason Garrison especially after seeing this last stretch of great games he's played.

This guy is killing it all over the ice right now and has become our best all around defensemen.

I'd say second best. His d-partner Hamhuis is still the best.

But I love the all BC pairing.

Guest Pinchin

I think it's safe to say Florida and Vancouver play a different style of hockey. Garrison is doing a good job so far given the new assignment and having to find his way in a new system. He is not fast and he is not slow, but foot speed isn't his game so it's moot, I'm wondering what those who are unsatisfied with him expected? He wasn't going to come in and score 16 goals in 48 games.

Archived