The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Garrison started the season coming off a chronic groin injury - and it was fairly obvious. People were going on about what a slug he is, but his skating has gradually rounded back into form and he's actually a good skater, particularly for his size - his ability to close on people is really impressive when he's healthy. The only hiccup for him this season was squeezing the stick early in the season, but he settled down and his shot is as advertised - he's actually rung his share of posts this year or his goals would be even more impressive. Overall, I don't think it's by accident that he's +17 - he's one of the most consistent guys on this club - exactly the player he was in Florida - great shutdown ability who moves the puck well and has a cannon.

I think Alberts also deserves a little credit - he has played some good dependable hockey in Tanev's absence. I'm really hoping Tanev can return, or at the very least, the Canucks don't need to rely on Barker. Barker hasn't been disappointing, but he is quite noticeably the weakest link on the blueline.

Garrisson was shaky early on, which is to be expected, a player coming to a new team and recovering from a groin injury. But since then he has shut up all the critics, he has a strong defensive game and a powerful accurate shot.

Now you can say he is replacing Salos role on this team nicely, but i really think the biggest affect losing Salo has had on this team is Edlers inconsistency. Edler had played along side Salo for a few years as Edler was learning his roleon this team, they seemed to have a ton of chemistry. Now that Salo has gone Edler is struggling. Salo was a very easy guy to partner up with, let's hope Garisson can gain some chemistry with a few more guys.

Yup, there's a reason why two years ago he was voted the second best defensive D-man behind Hamhuis in one review by a respected analyst. His ability in his own end has been underrated for some time since he's only been in the league for a short time and that time was spent in Florida. His shot is just an added bonus.

It's looking like Hamhuis is moving back to that status again while also adding an offensive side.

It's good to see the D playing closer to their potential

Garrisson was shaky early on, which is to be expected, a player coming to a new team and recovering from a groin injury. But since then he has shut up all the critics, he has a strong defensive game and a powerful accurate shot.

Now you can say he is replacing Salos role on this team nicely, but i really think the biggest affect losing Salo has had on this team is Edlers inconsistency. Edler had played along side Salo for a few years as Edler was learning his roleon this team, they seemed to have a ton of chemistry. Now that Salo has gone Edler is struggling. Salo was a very easy guy to partner up with, let's hope Garisson can gain some chemistry with a few more guys.

I think that the long term answer for Edler will be Tanev. I like them as a pairing and I have no doubt that Tanev will be able to handle the minutes, the only problem being that it leaves Bieksa to be paired with Ballard. I think those two could actually be an interesting pairing as well, and if the minutes were spread out evenly enough that Bieksa doesn't wind up with 'third pairing' minutes, Bieksa and Ballard could be fairly dynamic. Bieksa and Edler together seem to lack "grounding" or a stay at home element - Tanev may just have enough of that cool Sami kind of composure to bring out the best in Edler again. Garrison and Hamhius are a formidable shut down (and two way pairing), and ideal to matchup against teams that are top heavy, but they're also the two steadiest blueliners (although Tanev is making his case). Even with those two together AV is managing to find top pairing minutes for Bieksa.

I like that fact that AV has managed to play Garrison in enough situations this year that he'll be adaptable to different pairings should the need arise, but getting him rolling with Hamhius imo was a really good decision.

Garrison is SLOW. Of course, his biggest asset is his slap shot. He seems to learn to hit the net better in recent games, hope he continues. I am not sure if he can improve on his speed though.

yea he's such a terrible skater. I guess he's good defensively and has a hard shot but so does Bryan Allen and he makes a million less.

It's looking like Hamhuis is moving back to that status again while also adding an offensive side.

It's good to see the D playing closer to their potential

The list didn't account for offensive output at all, but there were definitely a few players on there with ability in both ends of the ice. To be able to say we have at least two guys who are really very good in both ends of the ice is no small feat.

yea he's such a terrible skater. I guess he's good defensively and has a hard shot but so does Bryan Allen and he makes a million less.

Allen makes a million less because he doesn't produce offensively like Garrison does. Allen is about a 15 point a year guy, not bad but not the same as Garrison, who's more of a 25-30 point guy.

And I wouldn't say terrible for his skating, you and Understand are overstating that. He's not the greatest skater, but he moves well for what he has to do.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jason_garrison/

Talent Analysis

Garrison’s strengths are his exceptional skating ability and passing touch.He has good on-ice awareness and transitional capability. Garrison is adept at contributing to offensive without sacrificing defensive responsibility. Lacks an element of consistent physical play but it’s an area he’s working to improve. Garrison appears very comfortable on the ice and is a free-wheeling defender whose strength is generating scoring chances. He has terrific hockey sense and is an ideal power-play quarterback. Garrison is learning to pick his spots better in terms of generating the attack and continues refining his coverage and positioning – as reflected by the improvement in his plus-minus rating. Despite his size, he does not play a particularly physical game.

Not sure if any of the folks here going on about how slow Garrison is have seen any of the past 20 games, but I'm guessing either not, or not paying much attention and still relying on first impressions.

Honestly, he reminds me of a Hybrid of Willie Mitchell & Sami Salo, GREAT with his stick, Clean, AWESOME shot. He had a rough go at the beginning of the season, but he has REALLY found his stride over the last little while. He's looking awesome.

He started off rough but he's been so much better.

This season was screwed up with the lockout and the lack of a training camp. He came to a new team and it took some time for him to get adjusted. I think he'll only continue to get better as he plays more with the team.

http://www.hockeysfu...jason_garrison/

Talent Analysis

Garrison’s strengths are his exceptional skating ability and passing touch.He has good on-ice awareness and transitional capability. Garrison is adept at contributing to offensive without sacrificing defensive responsibility. Lacks an element of consistent physical play but it’s an area he’s working to improve. Garrison appears very comfortable on the ice and is a free-wheeling defender whose strength is generating scoring chances. He has terrific hockey sense and is an ideal power-play quarterback. Garrison is learning to pick his spots better in terms of generating the attack and continues refining his coverage and positioning – as reflected by the improvement in his plus-minus rating. Despite his size, he does not play a particularly physical game.

Not sure if any of the folks here going on about how slow Garrison is have seen any of the past 20 games, but I'm guessing either not, or not paying much attention and still relying on first impressions.

Some people have zero perceptional skills. How often does Garrison get beat because of his skating? It's a rarity at best.

Some people have zero perceptional skills. How often does Garrison get beat because of his skating? It's a rarity at best.

Agreed - I honestly don't think he's as slow as people say... his skating is just really choppy - looks like he's beating the crap out of the ice... other than that hes great positionly ... knows how to use his body well along the boards --

couldn't ask for much more - he's starting score with minimal power play minutes in the beginning of the year and finally now starting to get some PP2 minutes...

Yup, there's a reason why two years ago he was rated the second best defensive D-man behind Hamhuis by James Myrtle. His ability in his own end has been underrated for some time since he's only been in the league for a short time and that time was spent in Florida. His shot is just an added bonus.

Guy seems to know what he's talking about. Bieksa was 9 and Ehrhoff was 10. Chara was 17.

Yup seems legit.

Archived