The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Best defenceman on the team by a LONG shot. Hamhuis and Edler have been brutal defensively, Bieksa was looking good up until a week ago, Ballard has been pretty bad all season long and even Tanev has shown inconsistencies.

Garrison has been there from the start defensively. Rarely makes a defensive mistake or turnover, plays solid defence in front of our net and along the boards and is not chipping in with goal after goal. On pace for 14 goals over a full season, and that's without anywhere near as much PP time as he got last season.

Leads the defence with goals and an amazing +/-, he's definately this team's best defenceman if not amongst our MVPs. Without his solid play we wouldn't have had any decent defensive players on this team and really would have struggled.

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

This is know as "premature whinification".

Nah,he sucked early on and went into the doghouse.No synergy and blasting pucks like a lunatic.

He has done really well these last 15 games,fit right in and is playing a vital role.

No, Edler sucked early on while Garrison struggled a bit with a new team and new system. Excuses that certainly didn't apply to Edler performance.

I'd say Garrison played well after his first 15 games and has improved since with increased familiarity.

http://www.hockeysfu...jason_garrison/

Talent Analysis

Garrison’s strengths are his exceptional skating ability and passing touch.He has good on-ice awareness and transitional capability. Garrison is adept at contributing to offensive without sacrificing defensive responsibility. Lacks an element of consistent physical play but it’s an area he’s working to improve. Garrison appears very comfortable on the ice and is a free-wheeling defender whose strength is generating scoring chances. He has terrific hockey sense and is an ideal power-play quarterback. Garrison is learning to pick his spots better in terms of generating the attack and continues refining his coverage and positioning – as reflected by the improvement in his plus-minus rating. Despite his size, he does not play a particularly physical game.

Not sure if any of the folks here going on about how slow Garrison is have seen any of the past 20 games, but I'm guessing either not, or not paying much attention and still relying on first impressions.

Yeah, I think some people are confusing straight line speed and then incorrectly adding mobility into it. He's a mobile guy, moves well and gets to where he needs to be, but he's not going to win a speed competition. Even considering that, he's not slow in that department either.

Guy seems to know what he's talking about. Bieksa was 9 and Ehrhoff was 10. Chara was 17.

Yup seems legit.

Well, you have to consider the stats he used to compile the list. Bieksa was playing with Hamhuis, and that paring was quite good all year at shutting down other team's top lines. Ehrhoff is more of an anomaly as he's not as much of a defensive defenceman but does face high quality opposition and has low goals against even strength and short handed (at least he did here). It's clearly not something that'll focus on the stars of the game only, but it does highlight some D-men playing tough minutes you wouldn't expect to see ranked so high.

Garrison is SLOW. Of course, his biggest asset is his slap shot. He seems to learn to hit the net better in recent games, hope he continues. I am not sure if he can improve on his speed though.

You haven't been watching the games then. Garrison is a very fast skater for a D man. He has jumped into the play a number of times and blazes into the O zone.

Guy seems to know what he's talking about. Bieksa was 9 and Ehrhoff was 10. Chara was 17.

Yup seems legit.

It's a weird ranking. The guy factors in the "quality of opposition" a defenseman faces and how many goals were scored against said defenseman.

I can understand Ehrhoff being #10 because, at the time, he played with the Sedins (and other team's top lines would play against them) and for a good chunk of time they had the puck in the offensive zone -- and when you have the puck in the offensive zone then chances are the other team will not score on you.

It's just a weird way at ranking defenseman. There are too many underlying factors such as the one presented above.

I was and am concerned that Garrison might be a one hit wonder, but it's still very early and he'll probably need a bit more time to get really comfortable. If we dont see any flashes of what made him successful last year soon, then maybe we can start worrying.

What was most concerning to me about his career season last year was how few assists he had. Sure he had 16 goals but maybe (not very likely) he was just getting lucky, hammering the puck, hoping for the best, and it worked 16 times. I hope very much that I'm wrong though.

You know, in order for your luck theory to work, it would have to mean that any D that gets sixteen goals is 'just luck'. What a load of BS! Where do all these insane theories come from on CDC? Is there a great moron attractor that has been let loose on this site for the past couple of years?

It's a weird ranking. The guy factors in the "quality of opposition" a defenseman faces and how many goals were scored against said defenseman.

I can understand Ehrhoff being #10 because, at the time, he played with the Sedins (and other team's top lines would play against them) and for a good chunk of time they had the puck in the offensive zone -- and when you have the puck in the offensive zone then chances are the other team will not score on you.

It's just a weird way at ranking defenseman. There are too many underlying factors such as the one presented above.

Actually, most teams did not play their top line against the Sedins, they did, if they could, played their checking line - usually their third line.

Giving Credit were it's due. Early on he was a pylon, but since then's adapted to our system, the team, and even improved his play. He no longer has Brian Campbell to ride on, nor a player similar to him, but he's adapted, finding ways to get shots through quickly. Very nice to see.

now I am hoping to see Edler turn his play around.

Allen makes a million less because he doesn't produce offensively like Garrison does. Allen is about a 15 point a year guy, not bad but not the same as Garrison, who's more of a 25-30 point guy.

And I wouldn't say terrible for his skating, you and Understand are overstating that. He's not the greatest skater, but he moves well for what he has to do.

I still would have gone for Allen's 12 year track record over Garrison's 2. Come to think of it, his skating isn't bad because it really isn't skating. It looks like he's running out there. I guess for me I would expect every d-man making over 4M to be excellent skaters.

Garrison started the season coming off a chronic groin injury - and it was fairly obvious. People were going on about what a slug he is, but his skating has gradually rounded back into form and he's actually a good skater, particularly for his size - his ability to close on people is really impressive when he's healthy. The only hiccup for him this season was squeezing the stick early in the season, but he settled down and his shot is as advertised - he's actually rung his share of posts this year or his goals would be even more impressive. Overall, I don't think it's by accident that he's +17 - he's one of the most consistent guys on this club - exactly the player he was in Florida - great shutdown ability who moves the puck well and has a cannon.

I think Alberts also deserves a little credit - he has played some good dependable hockey in Tanev's absence. I'm really hoping Tanev can return, or at the very least, the Canucks don't need to rely on Barker. Barker hasn't been disappointing, but he is quite noticeably the weakest link on the blueline.

Good post. People forget his off season rehab along with a late start. Plus AV didn't use him where he was intended to be used at the beginning.

I like Barker but I think you're right about him being the weakest link. The guy's skating leaves a bit to be desired. How ever his brain work shows he's been their before. Barker could become quite valuable in the play offs, he's won a Cup. He's a team guy. I've not heard one bad thing about him.

Actually, most teams did not play their top line against the Sedins, they did, if they could, played their checking line - usually their third line.

Home games AV often matched the Sedins up against the oppositions top line. Road games they always faced to oppositions shutdown line.

Good post. People forget his off season rehab along with a late start. Plus AV didn't use him where he was intended to be used at the beginning.

I like Barker but I think you're right about him being the weakest link. The guy's skating leaves a bit to be desired. How ever his brain work shows he's been their before. Barker could become quite valuable in the play offs, he's won a Cup. He's a team guy. I've not heard one bad thing about him.

Many here have the memory of a two year old. :lol:

I still would have gone for Allen's 12 year track record over Garrison's 2. Come to think of it, his skating isn't bad because it really isn't skating. It looks like he's running out there. I guess for me I would expect every d-man making over 4M to be excellent skaters.

Well, Allen's 12 year track record does include one season over 20 points - 6 years ago. Coincidentally, that's how much younger he is than Salo - 6 years - versus Garrison being a full 10 years younger than Salo.

And if you're going to include Allen's first two years in Vancouver where he played a total of 17 games and this season so far, then you have to include the same for Garrison, putting him at 5 NHL seasons.

• In 637 NHL games, Allen has 124 points and is a +7.
  • In 232 NHL games, Garrison has 73 points and is a +26.
  • That's 59% of the career points in 36% of the games.

Face it - Allen's not bad, but Garrison's worth the extra salary and then some.

Apart from the odd hiccup he seems to be improving. Interesting comment he apparently made. The difference in the system here to Florida is like comparing Kindergarten to University. Put's in perspective what AV is doing when compared to other coaches and teams. The problems seems like they're (other teams ) onto you AV

Archived