The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

I agree but that's not shared by the powerplay coaching.

I think the coaching staff dropped the ball with Garrison this year, they were too quick to give up on him. He moved from a team with a lot of structure (Florida) to one with little structure (Vancouver), it takes time to adjust to a new team and new system. Now that Garrison has found his groove look how well he's been playing.

AV has his favourites (as many coaches do), but Garrison was signed because he brought certain things to the team that nobody else has (i.e. booming and accurate slap shot) so I think it's crazy not to utilize him in that role. Goalies have trouble seeing/stopping his shot, defenders don't want to block it and risk getting hurt, and he's accurate. Why would you not want a guy like that on your top PP unit?

I think the coaching staff dropped the ball with Garrison this year, they were too quick to give up on him. He moved from a team with a lot of structure (Florida) to one with little structure (Vancouver), it takes time to adjust to a new team and new system. Now that Garrison has found his groove look how well he's been playing.

AV has his favourites (as many coaches do), but Garrison was signed because he brought certain things to the team that nobody else has (i.e. booming and accurate slap shot) so I think it's crazy not to utilize him in that role. Goalies have trouble seeing/stopping his shot, defenders don't want to block it and risk getting hurt, and he's accurate. Why would you not want a guy like that on your top PP unit?

When Edler actually shoots he can be effective. The trouble is he hesitates and seems to not want to take a one-time unless he absolutely has to.

Still, I totally agree that Garrison should be on the 1st unit. The only thing that might be keeping him off there is the risk of injury to a top line player standing in front on the PP like Burrows because of his shot. He definitely seems to hurt people who get hit by it.

IMO for what it's worth he is to hesitant in his own end which leads to uncertainty. He has to be more of a take charge sort of guy. You gotta love his shot from the point, who wants to get in the way of that shot

I thought he was hesitant before too, he always seemed to look for Hamhuis so Hammer could make the breakout pass. But he's looking increasingly confident.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, necro-bumping your own thread is so goofy.

Garrison has met expectations, and is on pace for his highest offensive output of his career.

He already has 26 points, and that is without 1st unit PP time. He had 33 points in 77 games in his last year with Florida.

This thread should be an appreciation thread, because he's pretty damn consistent defensively, and is still improving his offensive output.

Unless you're hoping to be the next clutch with a "Burrows do we really want him" thread, I suggest you let it go.

Archived