The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

anybody can throw the puck to brian campbell on the powerplay and pad the stats. getting shots through and producing goals is what made garrison a commodity, not being a decoy.

Anybody?

I guess we should all put on our gear and play in the NHL...

Garrison came off an injury and took some time to get used to a brand new system.

He is starting to look solid defensively.

As for offence, I don't care if we use him as a decoy as long as he helps the team score goals.

If he scores, great, if he assists, great.

It's all about adjustments. If a team fears his shots and cheats towards him on the PP, that means another player will be open.

It seems kind of silly that you still expect him to shoot while the lane is blocked. If teams are over compensating and leaving other players/lanes open, the correct move would be to pass the puck as that would produce a better scoring chance

Offense or no offense we are really really hard to score against and he is a part of that.

Salo is awesome but was hurt a lot, like record breaking lots and that hurt us at times.

Give the guy some time, look how long it took Ballard to figure things out.

Let's be honest, he's on a new team without much of a training camp to gel with the others.

He's tied for the team lead at +7 and playing hard minutes. He's coming off an injury, a long layoff and is with a new team. The offence will come once he is comfortable with teh system and his teammates. I thin he's fit in pretty well so far and will get better as the season goes on.

Not disappointed at all.

He's not playing on either of the PP as of last game which is a dissapointment for everyone, but reguardless of his salary, if he can play a solid defensive role beside Bieksa, and be strong on the PK, Im happy with the contribution. Also somewhat concerning, he has but 1 hit over his last 4 games... :(

The biggest concern for me are his hands. Not the best outlet pass either... But as others have suggested, he will get some time to earn his keep, and hopefully some offence will come....

Also to mention that he and Bieksa have just started to look comfortable playing with eachother, and Bieksa is begining to join and even lead the play while Garrison is playing stay at home and cover. And while he doesnt hit or block shots that much, he's fairly mobile for his size and doesnt take many penalties.

I guess all in all, he's really just a guy who might stay invisible while making the smart safe plays and cleaning up for his partner. As long as it's consistent, it's a very valuable kind of d-man to have. The Nucks seem to have one of these on each pair, while given that Edler, Bieksa and Ballard are the other half of the pair, someone steady and low-key to even them out is the best thing for team success.

I don't really care about his offensive contributions, he was never going to replicate the numbers that he produced last year. However, I do expect him to be a top flight defensive defenseman, and I have been somewhat unimpressed. Runs around too much, doesn't show enough poise to make a good play out of the defensive zone...so far.

I'd like to know what kind of advanced stats he currently holds right now. I know his advanced stats indicated that he was a great defensive player in Florida.

He's not playing on either of the PP as of last game which is a dissapointment for everyone, but reguardless of his salary, if he can play a solid defensive role beside Bieksa, and be strong on the PK, Im happy with the contribution. Also somewhat concerning, he has but 1 hit over his last 4 games... :(

Each PP unit only has one defender on it. Teams across the league are playing a much safer PK game and SHGs have gone way down as a result. In response, lots of teams are putting a 4th forward on their PP. Thus Daniel Sedin was at the point during one PP last night, manning the blue line with Edler. The other PP unit had Hamhuis and 4 forwards IIRC. I think that's just a night-to-night situation as there's a lot of permutations to try out before that situation is settled, and with AV, it may never be settled.

Much as I like Salo, he had clearly lost a step last year. Garrison plays the body (he squishes people more than he hits them) but he's still a 220lb force along the boards. We're winning a lot more battles in the dirty areas of our zone because of him.

I don't really care about his offensive contributions, he was never going to replicate the numbers that he produced last year. However, I do expect him to be a top flight defensive defenseman, and I have been somewhat unimpressed. Runs around too much, doesn't show enough poise to make a good play out of the defensive zone...so far.

I'd like to know what kind of advanced stats he currently holds right now. I know his advanced stats indicated that he was a great defensive player in Florida.

Last I checked he had the 2nd highest Corsi Rel on our team, and had been first since almost the start of the season. Edler finally overtook him for 1st at our 8th game I believe. I would bet Garrison has actually retaken that lead. Basically, he's a stud on defense.

In terms of Goals against per 60 minutes:

Ballard is 2nd in the league with 0.40 GA/60

Tanev is 3rd in the league with 0.42 GA/60

Garrison is T-13th in the league with 1.27 GA/60

Other Canucks d-men:

Bieksa 1.64

Edler 1.64

Hamhuis 2.09

Garrison is #1 out of Canucks d-men in +/- per 60 minutes (goals for - goals against).

^ nice.

looks like that Garrison guy can play a little shutdown.

Ballard looks like he has lost all hesitation to his game. I had a hard time seeing exactly why he was so maligned the past few years, aside from unreasonable expectations that he produce offensive numbers in the role he was playing. The one thing I noticed about his game was a slight cautiousness when retrieving pucks in his own end - he'd almost glide the last few strides, appear to be looking over his shoulder, and wind up pinned on the boards in neutral puck battles. It seems as though he has gained his health, stride and his confidence - and seems to be able to maintain a step advantage - he's simply outskating the forecheck and moving the puck before forwards can close on him (something Karlsson does so well, also preventing him from taking any extra punishment). Aside from that, Ballard's making so many well-timed, aggressive and decisive defensive interventions that he looks like the player Gillis wanted when he acquired him.

I guess those stats you post for Ballard and Tanev pretty much tell the whole story. Wow.

People were screaming that kassian for hodgson was a bust and we'd be screwed all because people weren't giving kassian the time to get comfortable with the new team and garrison is no different. He needs time to develop chemistry and get used to the canucks playing style. The lockout didn't help that fact and neither will making threads on it.

I'm confused. If its too soon to bash Garrison, isn't it also too early to praise Kassian?

What you see with Garrison is what you get. I Think he will work out some of his kinks but hes gonna be exactly what was advertised..A simple steady stay at home d man with a bomb. I find it funny we have two of the best passers in the game in the sedins and Noel hasent designed a play on the PP where they setup garrison for a bomb.

The concept of risk is not one that's well understood around these parts. What's risky is not a 2-year commitment at a pretty low cap hit to a well-established vet like Sami Salo, but a 6-year commitment to an unestablished guy like Jason Garrison who came out of nowhere to be a PP force last year, scoring 17 goals.

And to say that he made a "very big hometown discount"...get serious. He got 6 years at $4.6M per, and he's Jason Garrison. What do you honestly think gave up? Maybe an extra $100K per year to go play in Long Island? The guy absolutely cashed in.

Are you kidding me???? Do you follow the NHL or do you just like to troll the CDC???

The market for Dmen in the NHL are at all time high right now! Garrison could have gotten a lot more from a multiple number of teams if he wanted to test the waters.... at $4.6M, you have to be an idiot to believe it's not a discount. There are more teams in need of a top 4 D than any other position and plenty of those signed top 4 D are awful....and getting paid a lot more than $4.6!

Of course he 'cashed in' considering what his salary was before....but that doesn't mean it wasn't a discount :picard:

Your posts are usually ridiculous and consistently antagonizing, but sometimes....just sometimes....there is a valid argument in there somewhere. You have been proven wrong with your theories on numerous occasions and you still stand your ground to try and argue your points (**slow clap**).

I had a friend who had similar traits, when we would go out....he would approach every girl in the bar, he gets turned down and laughed at lots....but he does eventually find a hit after multiple misses. He has grown to accept humiliation and making bad judgements due to the regularity of being turned down...his lust just overwhelms him and he considers .01% as good enough odds to endure it. He's horny and I can understand his motivation...

I just don't understand yours? What satisfaction do you get in trolling like this? Your odds on being correct are similar to his....yet you still troll CDC? I can only assume your pants are around your ankles when you get the one theory correct.... Is it worth it?

Are you kidding me???? Do you follow the NHL or do you just like to troll the CDC???

The market for Dmen in the NHL are at all time high right now! Garrison could have gotten a lot more from a multiple number of teams if he wanted to test the waters.... at $4.6M, you have to be an idiot to believe it's not a discount. There are more teams in need of a top 4 D than any other position and plenty of those signed top 4 D are awful....and getting paid a lot more than $4.6!

Of course he 'cashed in' considering what his salary was before....but that doesn't mean it wasn't a discount :picard:

Your posts are usually ridiculous and consistently antagonizing, but sometimes....just sometimes....there is a valid argument in there somewhere. You have been proven wrong with your theories on numerous occasions and you still stand your ground to try and argue your points (**slow clap**).

I had a friend who had similar traits, when we would go out....he would approach every girl in the bar, he gets turned down and laughed at lots....but he does eventually find a hit after multiple misses. He has grown to accept humiliation and making bad judgements due to the regularity of being turned down...his lust just overwhelms him and he considers .01% as good enough odds to endure it. He's horny and I can understand his motivation...

I just don't understand yours? What satisfaction do you get in trolling like this? Your odds on being correct are similar to his....yet you still troll CDC? I can only assume your pants are around your ankles when you get the one theory correct.... Is it worth it?

Wow, that was a disproportionate response.

I generally don't agree with ES often, but I can usually see where he is coming from, and can definitely understand this one. 4.6 isn't a bad cap hit for a shorter term deal and I'm sure he could have gotten more elsewhere, but he wouldn't have been given 6 years elsewhere. Yes, that's the price you pay in a market that isn't offering a whole lot of D-men, but in situations like this (a 27 year old D-man coming out of nowhere and having 1 "good" season [16 goals and 33 points in 77 really isn't that great] on a Florida D-line that doesn't really have anywhere else to go for offence) you pay high short term and give them a chance to prove that it wasn't a fluke. 4.6 is too much for 6 years for an unproven player. It could pay off huge, but if I were a betting man I'd say it won't.

Archived