972 replies to this topic

#31 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Ok then, Garrison is being labeled with only 6 games played as a flop. Nice!

tl;dr

Care to simplify?

And yeah, Garrison has displayed complete flop. Is it his fault, not necessarily. Perhaps if you read my post... but seriously, why is Garrison trying to make everything so damned complicated?

Moving away from the point during PP, creeping towards the net and guess what? NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE TO PASS TO! Keep it simple, stupid. He does this every time he's in the offensive zone. You really gotta get in the grove before you start thinking outside the box.

Oh, then there's his "creativity" in the defensive zone. Nice pass... to the other players. CLEAR THE PUCK! HIT THE PLAYERS! SHOOT FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER! Seriously, why is Garrison passing in the offensive zone? Just shoot!

He's completely confused out there. He isn't keeping it simple, and it is VERY clear is isn't even trying to simplify because nobody has told him to. That kind of crap is on the coach, and guess what? It ain't happening.

Same thing happened with Ballard. Defensive zone "creativity". It must be something they do down in Florida or something... At any rate, that crap is on Bowness's shoulders and, ultimately, AV's as well.

Get a grip and read a post instead of flaunting your ignorance about.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#32 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

People were screaming that kassian for hodgson was a bust and we'd be screwed all because people weren't giving kassian the time to get comfortable with the new team and garrison is no different. He needs time to develop chemistry and get used to the canucks playing style. The lockout didn't help that fact and neither will making threads on it.

#33 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

Yea, this is very obviously the case Soren(unless it's a JBo scenario, which I hope it's not).

The point I'm putting forward is there is becoming a common trend of players not "getting it" after a full year. Kassian finally got it in 10 months. You can't believe that's normal... Gillis's trades have a very rough track record at the moment, and I'm under the strong impression that this is a result of the new players not being properly acclimated into the "system", and I feel that this falls on the coaches' shoulders.

Here, we've seen many players come in, and most haven't fit. But isn't that silly? Why does Ballard have to fit into a SPECIFIC system? He's a 4.2 million dollar player, and he WAS well worth it, which is why Gillis traded for him. So why then, after giving up so much for him, is he not allowed to flourish under the supposed versatility of our players? Because our "system" (and by that, I mean the coach V) isn;t in the least bi flexible?

Hodgson was no different, and look where that led him. No ice time, just like Ballard. Only difference is Hodgson's daddy asked for a trade. Meanwhile, us stupid fans chastise the guy for it... but what would YOU do in his shoes? Hodgson and co. saw a flaw in our "system" (and by that, I mean coach V again), and wanted out. Hodgson and co wanted OUT of the VANCOUVER CANUCKS, with Mike Gillis as the GM, and a good fanbase (yes, a common misconception) because of the Coach. You know who else wanted out because of the "system" (and by that, I AGAIN mean coach V)? Trevor Linden. Markus Naslund. Just to name a couple.

Then there's Booth... well, you could blame his shortcomings on injuries... but what moron plays Booth with Kesler without telling Kesler to PASS once in a while? And even if coach V DID try to get Kesler to pass, why didn't KESLER get benched for being disobedient? The players run the show here, and that's NOT cool. Kesler was injured anyways, but coach V rode him like a mule. Are you KIDDING me?

Meanwhile, a couple players have fit in nicely, and AV sends them gift-wrapped free passes as a result. Suck up to the SYSTEM, and look where it gets players like Raymons, Ebbett, Rome in the past, Wiese, among many many many many many others. This is a common trend, and its NOT cool.

I'm glad Schroeder figured it out early. The "system" is broken. The "system" is a clique. If you don't kiss ass, you're not in the secret circle, and that lands you on the pine more often than not.

AV has run Linden, Naslund, Hodgson, among others out of town. Is it not time to run him out of town?

I'll try to get back on topic, although my long-winded speech has purpose:

Garrison is not buying into the "system". Whether AV and co have even tried to reign him in is yet to be seen. From what I've seen so far, it's a complete and utter LACK of simplicity, and it's resulting in a lot of unreadable plays on Garrison's part. I'm sure if there were chemistry there, people would be singing his praises all the way to Yale Town for his "nifty plays". However, until that chemistry forms, Garrison needs to simplify his game. HE'S DOING IT WRONG! And at this rate, it wont be long before he's riding the pine like Ballard was.

I don't get why Edler gets a free pass... he's been playing awful, too, which makes Garrison look even worse. But look who gets the shootout opportunities!

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 29 January 2013 - 03:53 AM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#34 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

He needs time to adjust, just like any other player who joins a new team and is expected to assume a large role immediately. You have to remember the human side to hockey players, the guy who's trying to fit in somewhere in the locker room dynamic, trying to make friends - it's a workplace. I don't get the sense that he's not a personable guy, though. Seems as though he's already 'in' with the group.

I do think we'll end up regretting that 4.6 AAV, though. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Exactly.

I mean of course it takes time to adjust to a new team. Just look at Sami Salo in TB. Sure he could have been had for cheaper but he is really struggling adjusting to play in TB.

Look at stats. Through 5 games he only has 5 points and is only a +9.

#35 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Exactly.

I mean of course it takes time to adjust to a new team. Just look at Sami Salo in TB. Sure he could have been had for cheaper but he is really struggling adjusting to play in TB.

Look at stats. Through 5 games he only has 5 points and is only a +9.

Yeah, poor Garrison. I feel bad he moved home and got the hell off that terrible Florida team. I hope he fits in! Poor guy...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#36 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Yeah, poor Garrison. I feel bad he moved home and got the hell off that terrible Florida team. I hope he fits in! Poor guy...

Oh dumbass... :bored:

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#37 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Wow!! How many games has it been yikes, you are already throwing him under the bus!!!

#38 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

Agree this guy has NOT looked good, but it's still too early to say that he's over hyped or over exposed. It's only 6 games into the season, most of the Canucks opted to sit out during the lockout as well, meaning most of them haven't played hockey for 9 months. You can see everybody's timing is still off, he also has to adjust to play in a more offensive system where he has the green light to make plays whereas in Florida he played in more of a defensive system. Give him a few games he's going to be a solid dman for us hopefully he can start hitting the net with his shots too.

#39 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

He has been okay, he needs some more set up shots that he can blast from the point. But its almost like every game I've watched the other team has read our offensive zone play and we have been forced to just continuously pass due to lack of a good shooting angle or try the shot anyways only to cough up the puck.
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#40 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

I have been disappointed in him so far for sure. However, I understand that he needs a lot of time to get used to things so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#41 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

He's been average.

I thought he was pretty solid defensively, though, considering the top 4 has been shaky at best.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#42 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

The OP misspelled Alex Edler.
Posted Image

#43 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Garrison just needs to hit the net

#44 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

For his contract he seems a bit unprepared...I expected him to be steady at least.

I wasn't expecting an instant lidstrom, but so far his defense has been below average, his passing is average, mobility average and his shot accuracy is non existent.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#45 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for this thread. Now he'll score next game. :)

:frantic:

the whole teams sucks donkey balls

:frantic:

(think that will work? ) :ph34r:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#46 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I haven't noticed Garrison be any slower than Edler or Bieksa. Maybe he doesn't have the top speed of some players, but he seems agile enough, and seems to be sound positionally.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, had Garrison's shot that hit the crossbar in San Jose actually gone in, the OP wouldn't have bothered to make this thread.
Posted Image

#47 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,566 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Move him away from Edler and he'll do much better but really he hasn't looked bad at all. No worse than the rest of the D on any given night.

Edler doesn't even know he has a defensive partner anyways and when he figures it out he seems so shocked that he lays an awful pass to him.

Give Edler somebody who's not expected to score at all. Putting an offensive asset beside him is a bit of a waste.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 29 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Edler doesn't even know he has a defensive partner anyways and when he figures it out he seems so shocked that he lays an awful pass to him.

:lol:

You obviously watch the same games I do.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#49 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Offensively I thought he has performed well enough. He just needs to be found like he was last year to unleash his bombs. Defensively he's been fine (in his own zone).

One thing I will say though, is that he has to be our worst defenseman for picking terrible times to pinch in. That may be a timing thing that will be corrected throughout the season but it's been scary.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#50 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

resist the urge to hit the Post button.
http://nicktoons.nic...ess-clip-2.html

#51 Miller32

Miller32

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Not trying to be deconstructive but I'm sure should we have had Salo he'd be injured right now, especially with the last two teams we just played.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

I'm not concerned at all.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#53 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Quit your whinning yo!

Why does everyone have to be so damn negative. Its like nothing on these boards can make anyone happy. No matter what the Canucks do. Its operated by a bunch of sad people, who have nothing better to do than complain about something. Wahhh wahh wahh...The Canucks just need to make the play offs..

I wouldnt doubt it by the end of the year when we have the Stanley cup someone will still complain about how we arent good enough
Life is short, LIVE IT

#54 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#55 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

2012 - Kassian is a bust, why the **** did we trade for him? Bring back CoHo! He's already performing at an NHL level!

2013 - Wheew! Another goal for Kassian, seems like this trade will work out.

Give it some time people. If two of his hit posts go in, this thread doesn't happen.

#56 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Move him away from Edler and he'll do much better but really he hasn't looked bad at all. No worse than the rest of the D on any given night.

Give Edler somebody who's not expected to score at all. Putting an offensive asset beside him is a bit of a waste.

Lack of offence from the top 4 d-core is one of Van's biggest problems right now. Garrison could hit the net more with his shots but that will come. I think he is playing a pretty conservative game but is getting frustrated like KB and even Hamhuis. None of these guys went overseas and it is showing on the ice right now. By 20 games they should settle down. IMHO the d-core and goaltending have enough CUP quality talent. It is Van's front end that is truly operating on 2 cylinders. Big disconnect with the Twins but again they sat out the lockout. The guys performing well have all been playing regularly before the season started. All except Burrows who never ceases to amaze me. What a solid player!

#57 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

It's early into the season but when it's a 48 game season it's hard to stay patient with what I consider a pretty "sub-par to awful" debut for the Canucks defenseman.

All I've been hearing throughout the off-season about Jason Garrison is how he's a younger Sami Salo with great defensive abilities and all around game. From what I've seen throughout the season so far is that he is a terrible skater with average speed and very little mobility. Something that's going to expose him in a lot of puck battles and turnovers in neutral zone. This has been very evident in 5 of the last 6 games we've played so far this season.

He just doesn't have the skating to stay in great position and he tends to lose his man a lot. That's not Sami Salo at all. I think this is something that hurts him in the offensive zone too like the PP when he doesn't have the skating ability to get to open ice and hammer the puck. He seems to take a long time to wind up and get his shot off so it's no surprise that rushing it has made his accuracy abysmal.

I commend his hard work, because he truly does play like he gives a damn but just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll get the results.

Anyone else worried about his skating? His stride is horrific and very short and when he is forced to pivot and turn on a dime he consistently gets beat. Him and Edler have been a nightmare in their own end, unable to move the puck up the ice.

I'm only concerned because our window to win a stanley cup is rapidly closing with this core and we don't exactly have that great of a promising prospect pool in the calibre of Edmonton's talent.

Yes you are so right and it has nothing to do with the fact that he is adjusting to a new city and a new team and a new D partner :picard:

Why don't you start playing Defence and work your way in the NHL and get a contract by the Canucks because obviously you have all the answers to what it takes to be an NHL D-man :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#58 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Give him time, he's adjusting to Western Conference, I have full confidence he will start to shine in next few games.

#59 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

short season or not, it really doesn't matter. you can't expect him to be ready, after being traded, with no real time to gel with the team or the system, or the overall environment of playing for a hockey crazy city. if he's still the same at the end of the season, then maybe i'll start questioning this move. until then, it does take some time to adjust. the sky isn't falling last time i checked, but then again, i'm in canucks talk

we signed him not trade for him

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#60 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Exactly.

Look at

stats. Through 5 games he only has 5 points and is only a +9.

Life is short, LIVE IT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.