#631 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Sami Salo says hi~

Because we'd have more wins with his 2 goals than Garrisons 3?
Posted Image

#632 p0o0o0f

p0o0o0f

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Bad Skater. Starting to get better defensively but tends to make sloppy plays every now and then, that's very noticeable. He keeps getting better game by game. Leads all D in +/- (+8). He's done better job at jumping into plays to keep the puck in then most of our D as of late. He's playing decently good for a new player to the team.

#633 Melbourne Canuck

Melbourne Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

I've expected more from Garrison to be honest but I don't feel he's being properly utilised either. One of the reasons for his signing was his shot & power play points yet he sees such a small amount (if any) PP time while a very stinky Edler laps up prime time. I expected a guy that big & strong to be a physical presence also (I dont get to see Florida games here in Australia though so maybe that was an unfair expectation i placed on him). It's become apparent he doesn't play that way. Even so, I think he's serviceable but certainly not on the coin he's being paid right now. We have some very expensive D men yet the most reliable, IMO, gets paid the least.

#634 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

There are 2 things that i see Garrison has trouble with.

1-When he pivots to retrieve a dump in or when a guy is going wide on him. Garrison is very slow to react in that department.

2- His puck moving skills are also very limited. It just seems he doesnt have the finesse to thread a pass up ice very well.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#635 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

It's quite sad..... I really wanted this to work out. We have a BC boy here, willing to take a pay cut to fight for his hometown team, bleed, sweat, and fight for the team. So far a huge disappointment. His +8 stands out very well, but beyond that, I'm quite disappointed in him. Really am. NO joke. 4.6 million is a huge overpayment and they say he already took a pay cut to come here. Looking at it last July, the list of defencemens on the UFA table wasn't that much, and yes, it was him, Denis Wideman , and Matt Carl were the big name free agent defencemens. You can say for the price those players went for, Gillis hit the jackpot at 4.6 million. But he is the biggest disappointment this season. I don't even think you can say he is solid defensively. I don't see it.

Last year I will say he had the benefit of playing with Brian Campbell. He really did.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#636 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Because we'd have more wins with his 2 goals than Garrisons 3?

Quite possibly yes. We were always a better team with Salo in the lineup, regardless of his goal totals. He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Garrison, but he (and Edler in particular) need to get it together big time. Arrg so many issues with the team this year, can't call out just the D.
“I played for the Leafs for three years, I’m used to the booing so it won’t affect me” - Kyle Wellwood

#637 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Quite possibly yes. We were always a better team with Salo in the lineup, regardless of his goal totals. He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

• Please glance over post #633, "Melbourne Canuck" has hit key points with surgical precision
  • Give Garrison more PP chances, the more he uses that canon, the more accurate it will get. Pair him up with a fast setup guy (setup + defend against breakthroughs) not with freakin' Edler :picard:
  • If Salo was here and injured, you have felt very strongly that we should have made a move

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Garrison, but he (and Edler in particular) need to get it together big time. Arrg so many issues with the team this year, can't call out just the D.

Edler needs to go now, while we might still be able to trade him. Personally, I am having trouble thinking of a GM who would want him, especially at $5M cap hit starting next year until freakin' 2019. It makes me sick to my stomach when I count the bad contracts we currently have.

Edited by Socrates, 11 March 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#638 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Looking better and better.
Posted Image

#639 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Just shoot the damn puck every chance he gets.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#640 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

He outplayed tanev tonight! Wow! Haha

Posted Image

#641 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Sami Salo says hi~

Garrison while on pace for 13 goals in an 82 game season doesn't say hi back

#642 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Garrison while on pace for 13 goals in an 82 game season doesn't say hi back

Without any PP time too.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#643 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember Christian Ehrhoff being effective immediately.

Well, Ehrhoff did manage to get an entire pre-season in before he became effective immediately. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#644 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

1 Goal, +1 tonight in 25:07.

4g, 2a = 6 points on the season. Leading the team defense with a +9.

Garrison Magic Number: 13

Edited by theminister, 12 March 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#645 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Quietly on-pace for a 13-goal 82 game season with no Campbell beside him and no primo powerplay time, all the while putting together the best defensive numbers of his career so far.

Yet is still criticized.

Hmmm....

A problem, he is not.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs, 12 March 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image

#646 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

I like the way he's playing. He's not physical in the sense of making hits, but he uses his stregnth, grinds the boards, and defends the goal mount pretty well.

3 goals, 4 points, +3, with 19 shots on goal over his last 10, which for his skill set is about as much as you can ask.

Also, he seems to be looking fairly consistent from game to game. Solid #4 D-Man.

#647 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

It's quite sad..... I really wanted this to work out. We have a BC boy here, willing to take a pay cut to fight for his hometown team, bleed, sweat, and fight for the team. So far a huge disappointment. His +8 stands out very well, but beyond that, I'm quite disappointed in him. Really am. NO joke. 4.6 million is a huge overpayment and they say he already took a pay cut to come here. Looking at it last July, the list of defencemens on the UFA table wasn't that much, and yes, it was him, Denis Wideman , and Matt Carl were the big name free agent defencemens. You can say for the price those players went for, Gillis hit the jackpot at 4.6 million. But he is the biggest disappointment this season. I don't even think you can say he is solid defensively. I don't see it.

Last year I will say he had the benefit of playing with Brian Campbell. He really did.

You could of just said "I"m disappointed in Garrison's play so far and think we overpaid for him" instead of writing that paragraph that basically repeats your one point that you're disappointed in him. How about saying why? You say he's not solid defensively (the only point you make) but he's leading the D in +/-
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#648 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

He was a calming influence, I will give Salo that.

As to hitting the net:

Salo has 2 goals on 27 shots, 7.4 shooting percentage in 24 games.

Garrison has 4 goals on 42 shots. 9.5% shooting percentage in 25 games.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#649 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

1 Goal, +1 tonight in 25:07.

4g, 2a = 6 points on the season. Leading the team defense with a +9.

Garrison Magic Number: 13

25:07. Oh boy.
Posted Image

#650 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Wish we still had Salo...

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Salo
Edler-Tanev

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#651 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,253 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

He was a calming influence, I will give Salo that.

As to hitting the net:

Salo has 2 goals on 27 shots, 7.4 shooting percentage in 24 games.

Garrison has 4 goals on 42 shots. 9.5% shooting percentage in 25 games.

regards,
G.

That doesn't tell me Salo doesn't shoot enough.

regards,
C. CY L.

Edited by Monteeun, 14 March 2013 - 11:49 PM.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#652 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Wish we still had Salo...

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Salo
Edler-Tanev

But then Marchand couldn't say he was protecting himself anymore.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#653 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

CDC has been wrong about a lot of players over the years, but I don't think they've ever been AS wrong as they are about Garrison. A 4.6 cap hit for an elite defender who can chip in with above average offense is a damn bargain.

#654 rambo1515

rambo1515

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

I love how people post, "He's plus 8, but that's about all he's done this season." For those of you who don't know this yet... plus 8 doesnt just happen... It comes from being on the ice for 8 more goals for than against, which is a strong indication of a defencemen's overall play. Garrison took some time to adjust, but is playing very solid now while scoring the odd bomb from the point.

Now let me ask you this question. In retrospect, who would you rather have for the Stanley cup finals against the big, strong bruins, Ehrhoff or Garrison?

#655 rambo1515

rambo1515

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

I love how people post, "He's plus 8, but that's about all he's done this season." For those of you who don't know this yet... plus 8 doesnt just happen... It comes from being on the ice for 8 more goals for than against, which is a strong indication of a defencemen's overall play. Garrison took some time to adjust, but is playing very solid now while scoring the odd bomb from the point.

Now let me ask you this question. In retrospect, who would you rather have for the Stanley cup finals against the big, strong bruins, Ehrhoff or Garrison?

#656 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Both with no Ballard :emot-parrot:
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#657 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

I think the calming effect is in your head. Garrison has been fine defensively as far as I'm concerned. What would really be nice is if somebody could start putting a pass into the sweet spot for a one timer. He has a great one timer and he keeps getting passes in his feet or behind him. I'd like to see him on the 1st pp with the Sedins more. He's also one of the few that gets physical in front of our own net. You do realize the only player with a better +/- on the team is Henrik.

None of our D are paid what the elite d-men are getting. Stop expecting them to perform like elite d-men and even those elite d-men make their mistakes. Edler has certainly had his bad games but Hamhuis hasn't exactly performed as well defensively as his usual self. It seems many here are just looking for reasons to be critical of Garrison because he replaced a favorite in Salo.
Posted Image

#658 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

CDC has been wrong about a lot of players over the years, but I don't think they've ever been AS wrong as they are about Garrison. A 4.6 cap hit for an elite defender who can chip in with above average offense is a damn bargain.

Elite may be a stretch, but very good isn't. I agree that most here are clueless to market values. Weber 4 years at $14m, two at $12m, then it drops to $6m. Suter two years at $12m, one at $11m, then five at $9m. Compare that to what our guys are getting and it's apparent we got very good deals without life long contracts.
Posted Image

#659 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Corsi numbers and real-time stats are more useful than +/-.

For those of you who don't know this yet... +/- is a SIMPLISTIC indication of a d-man's overall play. Hits, takeaways, giveaways, blocked shots, shots/missed shots give a more telling story. They're all on one page on NHL.com.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#660 rambo1515

rambo1515

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Corsi numbers and real-time stats are more useful than +/-.  

For those of you who don't know this yet... +/- is a SIMPLISTIC indication of a d-man's overall play.  Hits, takeaways, giveaways, blocked shots, shots/missed shots give a more telling story.  They're all on one page on NHL.com.

Obviously you can go more in depth than just plus/minus. But plus/minus is always a great indication of how well a DMan is playing. Especially if the team in front of him has been average. Again, plus 9 doesnt just happen unless you're having a positive effect on the play. i dont care how many hits, block shots ect he has, but if he's on the ice for more goals for than against, then that is a positive situation any way you look at it. how many hits does Tanev have this year? 8 hits... yet he has probably been are best defensive defenseman. And Edler is ahead of Garrison in real-time stats, yet has been playing horribly defensively and is minus 2. And i think we can all agree that Kasian has been pretty suspect in his own zone this year, and not surprisingly, he is a team low minus 7. Plus/Minus matters and I would say it's a STRONG indication of a DMan's play at this point of the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.