972 replies to this topic

#931 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

He has long strides as well - a bit deceiving - but I think he has also gained a step as the season progressed and his groin got healthier.

#932 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I bet you think you're really clever for that one. What do you want me to say? Garrison is our saviour and is the best defencemen on our team? He's been solid for a month. But for the money he's been making I expect him to hit the net a little more often because 90% of the time he kills our momentum with his wide shots from the corner. Just being a realist.

Yeah, sorry. It was a contentless spiteful pun that in my beleaguered state last night was irresistible.

I do think Garrison is our most dependable defenseman when he's on his game. The game against Edmontont when our defense played so damn good was a total Garrison show. We ended their longest winning streak of the season that night, and Garrison was the flagship of the defensive effort. However, I think that the keystone to our defense is Bieksa. He isn't our best defenseman, but he is the guy that makes the whole thing click. I cant quite put my finger on why, but maybe it's as simple as the fact he plays the right side which balances the pairings. We have a pretty sick defense lineup when we're healthy, and anyone of them can have a stellar night.

Wait...am I the only one who was of the opinion King and Nit are the same person?

I thought King had a bit more thought out replies than I remember seeing from nit. I don't think I see the similarity.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#933 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

POPULAR

For Garrison to be on pace for last year's point production he would have needed 19 points in 48 games. He currently stands at 15 with 2 games to go and he seems to be gaining steam over the 2nd half of the season.

For those who were disappointed with his early scoring production, there's your answer.

He can score and defend. $4.6 million for the next 5 years. Anyone still unhappy about this?

Garrison Magic Number: 4

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#934 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

For Garrison to be on pace for last year's point production he would have needed 19 points in 48 games. He currently stands at 15 with 2 games to go and he seems to be gaining steam over the 2nd half of the season.

For those who were disappointed with his early scoring production, there's your answer.

He can score and defend. $4.6 million for the next 5 years. Anyone still unhappy about this?

Garrison Magic Number: 4

Loving it ... only way is up...

#935 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

Garrison so far? Defenceman MVP, leads in +/-
has been a stud so far.

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#936 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

One of the best off season acquisitions last year..

Quietly too

#937 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Excellent pick up by Gillis. Our best D-man and at times seems to be a real legit shutdown D.

#938 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Excellent pick up by Gillis. Our best D-man and at times seems to be a real legit shutdown D.

Especially with Hamhuis, they play insane together. Our defence is finally starting to look intact as Edler is stepping up. Now, to get Tanev/Bieksa back and hopefully Corrado takes Ballard's spot :)

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Corrado
Bieksa-Tanev

or switch Garrison with a RH to balance pairs

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#939 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Got to admit I expected garrison to be a bust and be a brick on the ice but he proved me wrong :( but he's a top 4 defense man for years to come and if only he would hit the net more often, imagine the goals he'd score.

#940 ftmN

ftmN

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

I'm loving Garrison more and more as a person and a player, he deserves all the praise he is getting and I hope he continues to meld and get better. Top defenseman and I wish that Hammuis was as appreciated as Garrison is now becoming.
Posted Image
Thanks to (>'-')> for the sig.

#941 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

He has steadily gotten better all season He and Hammer are dynamite as a shutdown pairing that can also hold their own in the offensive zone. He is also deceptively fast and pretty good on the boards when he pinches. With his big shot and good defensive prowess, and sick beard, he's basically a cheaper version of Shea Weber minus the temper and childish antics

I don't think it's out of the question to see him put up 10+ goals and 30+ points in an 82 game season for the next 3-4 years.

#942 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

After Garrison was signed this past summer I said we would look back and say this was the best signing of the summer. With Suter's play Garrison may not be the best, but it's certainly a close 2nd. Once AV started to play JG properly he started to be everything he was expected to be when he signed here. It's nice to see the team finally using his slap shot, they need to use it more.

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

#943 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

After Garrison was signed this past summer I said we would look back and say this was the best signing of the summer. With Suter's play Garrison may not be the best, but it's certainly a close 2nd. Once AV started to play JG properly he started to be everything he was expected to be when he signed here. It's nice to see the team finally using his slap shot, they need to use it more.

How exactly was AV using him improperly? It always makes me laugh that it's AV's fault when a player doesn't perform well.
Posted Image

#944 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

POPULAR

How exactly was AV using him improperly? It always makes me laugh that it's AV's fault when a player doesn't perform well.

AV wasn't using Garrison on the PP or in more crutial offenstive situations.

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

#945 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Suter is a really good D-man, but his cap hit is too high even for what he does. So while Suter is the better player, I'm still convinced that Garrison has the better value contract-wise.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#946 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

He shaved that beautiful beard. Clearly need to trade him ASAP ;)

#947 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

He shaved that beautiful beard. Clearly need to trade him ASAP ;)

sh!t there go his powers.

medium.png nashville predators | ps4 

#948 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

On a new team with no preseason I had expected his play to start slow. I don't think it had a lot to do with mishandling by AV, or Bowness (In charge of D), or Brown (PP guy). It may have just been that they thought he wasn't giving them the best chance to win in those situations at the start of the season, so he wasn't put in those positions to succeed.

Whatever the difference, I'm glad he is playing the way he is now. I can't wait to see him in the playoffs.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#949 messier's_elbow

messier's_elbow

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

He is our best all around D man this year.

#950 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,361 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

What a steal signing by Gillis. Teams wanted to pay him more and he chose to come here.

Players like that are going to put us over the top. Doesn't hurt that he has a top 3-5 Slapshot in the NHL.

Subbancopy.jpg

#951 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

What a steal signing by Gillis. Teams wanted to pay him more and he chose to come here.

Players like that are going to put us over the top. Doesn't hurt that he has a top 3-5 Slapshot in the NHL.

His slapper is going to be a PP weapon in the playoffs provided he actually gets put on the first PP unit. If that happens, I can see the PP taking over games. As it currently stands though, I hate the first PP unit alignment.

#952 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Garrison has improved significantly since he has arrived. Glad to see him heat up on the PP

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#953 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Garrison Magic Number: 3

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#954 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Great pickup, think he'll be a beast in the PO.

#955 conrad@Victoria

conrad@Victoria

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Well worth the contract money so far.

Now that he has gotten accustomed to the team, and apparently gained confidence his game has improved steadily.

I admit being worried during the first 10-15 games due to his apparent inability to hit the net, but I'm sure even the pro's have nerves and could be trying too hard to make a good impression, causing over thinking.

Edited by conrad@Victoria, 25 April 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#956 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

That would be because at the beginning of the season he wasn't very good on the PP. So AV took him out of those situations until he got use to the system and got comfortable playing on his off side, the right side. To me that's easing a player into it as opposed to throwing him into a sink or swim situation. As Garrisons confidence grew on the right side he was given more responsibility. Seems to me that's coaching a player to succeed and he has.
Posted Image

#957 Jensnipe46

Jensnipe46

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

who else thinks hes not on the first pp, because his shot can potentially hurt one of our top forwards!..

#958 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

Garrison bomb wow

#959 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,250 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

That would be because at the beginning of the season he wasn't very good on the PP. So AV took him out of those situations until he got use to the system and got comfortable playing on his off side, the right side. To me that's easing a player into it as opposed to throwing him into a sink or swim situation. As Garrisons confidence grew on the right side he was given more responsibility. Seems to me that's coaching a player to succeed and he has.

Sorry Baggins, logic and common sense have no place in a thread where someone is bashing the Canucks' coaching staff....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#960 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

who else thinks hes not on the first pp, because his shot can potentially hurt one of our top forwards!..

he's not on the first powerplay because you'd have to drop Edler off to the second unit.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.