The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

He needs time to adjust, just like any other player who joins a new team and is expected to assume a large role immediately. You have to remember the human side to hockey players, the guy who's trying to fit in somewhere in the locker room dynamic, trying to make friends - it's a workplace. I don't get the sense that he's not a personable guy, though. Seems as though he's already 'in' with the group.

I do think we'll end up regretting that 4.6 AAV, though. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember Christian Ehrhoff being effective immediately.

Bad Skater. Starting to get better defensively but tends to make sloppy plays every now and then, that's very noticeable. He keeps getting better game by game. Leads all D in +/- (+8). He's done better job at jumping into plays to keep the puck in then most of our D as of late. He's playing decently good for a new player to the team.

I've expected more from Garrison to be honest but I don't feel he's being properly utilised either. One of the reasons for his signing was his shot & power play points yet he sees such a small amount (if any) PP time while a very stinky Edler laps up prime time. I expected a guy that big & strong to be a physical presence also (I dont get to see Florida games here in Australia though so maybe that was an unfair expectation i placed on him). It's become apparent he doesn't play that way. Even so, I think he's serviceable but certainly not on the coin he's being paid right now. We have some very expensive D men yet the most reliable, IMO, gets paid the least.

There are 2 things that i see Garrison has trouble with.

1-When he pivots to retrieve a dump in or when a guy is going wide on him. Garrison is very slow to react in that department.

2- His puck moving skills are also very limited. It just seems he doesnt have the finesse to thread a pass up ice very well.

It's quite sad..... I really wanted this to work out. We have a BC boy here, willing to take a pay cut to fight for his hometown team, bleed, sweat, and fight for the team. So far a huge disappointment. His +8 stands out very well, but beyond that, I'm quite disappointed in him. Really am. NO joke. 4.6 million is a huge overpayment and they say he already took a pay cut to come here. Looking at it last July, the list of defencemens on the UFA table wasn't that much, and yes, it was him, Denis Wideman , and Matt Carl were the big name free agent defencemens. You can say for the price those players went for, Gillis hit the jackpot at 4.6 million. But he is the biggest disappointment this season. I don't even think you can say he is solid defensively. I don't see it.

Last year I will say he had the benefit of playing with Brian Campbell. He really did.

Because we'd have more wins with his 2 goals than Garrisons 3?

Quite possibly yes. We were always a better team with Salo in the lineup, regardless of his goal totals. He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Garrison, but he (and Edler in particular) need to get it together big time. Arrg so many issues with the team this year, can't call out just the D.

Quite possibly yes. We were always a better team with Salo in the lineup, regardless of his goal totals. He was a very calming influence back there and unlike Garrison, can hit the damn net once in awhile.

• Please glance over post #633, "Melbourne Canuck" has hit key points with surgical precision
  • Give Garrison more PP chances, the more he uses that canon, the more accurate it will get. Pair him up with a fast setup guy (setup + defend against breakthroughs) not with freakin' Edler :picard:
  • If Salo was here and injured, you have felt very strongly that we should have made a move

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Garrison, but he (and Edler in particular) need to get it together big time. Arrg so many issues with the team this year, can't call out just the D.

Edler needs to go now, while we might still be able to trade him. Personally, I am having trouble thinking of a GM who would want him, especially at $5M cap hit starting next year until freakin' 2019. It makes me sick to my stomach when I count the bad contracts we currently have.

Archived