972 replies to this topic

#121 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,713 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm guessing this will be the official Garrison thread like the 'Burrows, do we really want him?' thread.

307mg00.jpg

#122 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Garrison is facing the strongest quality of competition thus far of anyone on the Canucks. His relative corsi is also +5.1. He's doing just fine.
Bieksa and Hamhius are struggling, but they'll turn it around.

Is it just me or are there about 5 people on CDC who know what relative corsi is? The rest of these people seem content in the delusion that they can intuitively read the game without any statistical help or pro hockey experience. They might as well be saying "The Oracle on yonder mountain high hath divined that said goal in the third period lie entirely on said player's shoulders! Praise be to Allah for he giveth us this wisdom!"

Keswho.jpg

#123 ectomorph

ectomorph

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

he is rusty once he scores one the flood gates will open for him. i would say he scores 12 goals this season.

Edited by ectomorph, 29 January 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#124 Malkin Cookies

Malkin Cookies

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm fairly new at making posts and comments but from observations I'm supposed to whine and make BS threads about players everytime the canucks lose a few games? Am I doing this right? :)

Edited by Malkin Cookies, 29 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

qrj53a.jpg

Thanks to VC

#125 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

He's a plus two this early into the season while the team has looked sluggish to say the least. I like what I see from him at this point and am sure he will be fine. People tend to forget that he is coming off a season long groin injury and still has only played 6 games on a new team. Give him some time, he will be really good for the Canucks!
:towel:

#126 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

He was never worth that contract In The first place IMO he's a good 5th defenceman with obviously the ability to play top four. But as usual CDC over hypes every player to put a canucks sweater on no matter who it is. Look at garrisons stats from last year it clearly shows teams adapted to his bomb of a shot which was clearly evident when he scored like 2 goals from the second half of the season last year.

I really hope he can get down the defensive system so he can at least be that solid defenceman we knew were going to get but it's wishful thinking that garrison puts up 8 goals in the short season. Remove him from playing with edler and keep him with hammer to cover him if he want to play more O.

He was a # 1 on Florida but a # 5 on Vancouver?
:towel:

#127 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I thought the Canucks learned their lesson. No more Florida guys. Ballard and Booth have already been big disappointments.

Garrison isn't really helped by the fact he is paired with erratic Edler and neither guy seems comfortable playing on the right side.

Time will tell.. though obviously It's a little to early to be worrying about Garrison.

I thought the Eagles learned their lesson with Micheal Vick. Guess not.

nN5BCfs.jpg

#128 SvenBae

SvenBae

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

He will most likely be on the 2nd PP when Kesler returns(and if he's fully healthy).

Makes more sense that way anyways, he will probably be more productive on the 2nd line where he can probably utilize being the LD, as a LH shooter.

#129 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Give him some time. As well as the whole team. This was the 1st road trip

#130 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#131 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I don't think over hyped, but I do think over exposed.

The rest of the D haven't made it an easy transition. Hamhuis-Bieksa should be the rock on this team right now. The team is trying to pick up where they left off from previous seasons but that's asking a lot of Garrison to simply fill-in for Salo, Salo was a major part of this team.

Decisions like splitting the pairings on the PK last night, presumably to get one of Edler/Garrison to clear the crease, is what is messing things up. Keep it simple until the team gets settled in. Until then, use Hamhuis-Bieksa as the 1st pairing.

I really don't see the point in experimenting with the D so much. It's like they do just because they can.

Of course, this completely ignores the fact that AV HAS been using Bieksa and Hamhuis as the #1 pairing in all situations - like he always does.....they have just sucked really, really badly at playing defence. Giving them MORE ice time is asking for more losses.

#132 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Is it just me or are there about 5 people on CDC who know what relative corsi is? The rest of these people seem content in the delusion that they can intuitively read the game without any statistical help or pro hockey experience. They might as well be saying "The Oracle on yonder mountain high hath divined that said goal in the third period lie entirely on said player's shoulders! Praise be to Allah for he giveth us this wisdom!"

Yeah - I think the people here who are complaining about him because his shot hasn't been bang on (which is about the only part of his game that has been rusty) - might be interested in how Florida feels about no longer having him on their blueline.

#133 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

He only played right side on the Power Play I'm pretty sure.

It seems like everyone we get from Florida doesn't play well with our team, except Luongo.

Ballard is finally picking it up, let's hope it doesn't take a few seasons for Booth and Garrison to start playing to their potential also.

Not the case.
He actually only played 52.7% of his time on the right side to Campbell on the powerplay, whereas he spent 75.6% of his even strength ice time playing right side to Campbell. He played left side in all his other d pairings, but far less ice time with them.

http://hockey.dobber...mes=2011-2012:R

And there are plently of former Panthers who have played very well for the Canucks.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why Edler is playing right side to Garrison, but I'm not AV and I'd be willing to bet that he has very solid reasons for doing so that will either work out over time, or he'll change his mind if the on ice results don't pan out.

One thing I think about the Edler Garrison pairing is that it looks thus far that Garrison is being used to defer to Edler, provide stablility to Edler, who has been very good and quite mediocre - still looking for more consistency, whereas Garrison has been very steady but people are expecting instant scoring statistics because that's how they tend to calculate successfulness.

Edited by oldnews, 17 April 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#134 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

I'm happy we got Garrison, but I still don't like the amount we signed him for. I know we needed a new bomb from the point after losing Salo, and I know he took a discount over what some teams were offering to come here, but I'm not a fan of his cap hit. He finally had a good season at age 27 when paired with Campbell, and as we've seen before, one good season can net you a big pay increase. I just don't like the idea of having 2 big defensive cap hits with Ballard (Who has not played up to snuff) and Garrison (whose body of work I don't find particularly impressive for 4.6 mil)

Still, Its only 6 games into the season, and he does need time to gel with his new surroundings. I hope he starts to produce like he did in Florida soon.

BO KNOWS

#135 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

NEW PLAYER IN A NEW SYSTEM AFTER A 9 MONTH LAYOFF.

WAKE UP PEOPLE
Posted Image

#136 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'm fairly new at making posts and comments but from observations I'm supposed to whine and make BS threads about players everytime the canucks lose a few games? Am I doing this right? :)

No that's absolutely wrong. It only takes one loss for that to happen. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#137 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Garrison can't possibly be a one-year wonder, because he spent two years as Florida's top shutdown defenseman, and that's what we signed him to be. He could score zero goals this year and still be worth his contract; if anyone seriously expected him to score 16, somebody would have offered him in excess of 6 million per.

#138 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Is it just me or are there about 5 people on CDC who know what relative corsi is?  The rest of these people seem content in the delusion that they can intuitively read the game without any statistical help or pro hockey experience.  They might as well be saying "The Oracle on yonder mountain high hath divined that said goal in the third period lie entirely on said player's shoulders!  Praise be to Allah for he giveth us this wisdom!"

Most of the people don't want to take the time to understand something complicated - that smacks of effort, man.

Edited by D-Money, 30 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#139 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah - I think the people here who are complaining about him because his shot hasn't been bang on (which is about the only part of his game that has been rusty) - might be interested in how Florida feels about no longer having him on their blueline.

I just made a post in the Weiss thread about that, their Corsi On is -13 and their PDO is 896. That includes some outliers like Tyson Strachan having only played one game but having a -79.79 Corsi, but Ellerby, Kuba, Upshall and Weiss are all below -20 and Parros is -38.3. That is ugly even for small sample sizes.

I did look at our numbers for the defence though, and Garrison's are pretty good: 5.5 Corsi On with 1.8 QoC. Edler's about the same (slightly better Corsi On) while Tanev and Ballard have awesome Corsi On but against weak QoC. Hamhuis and Bieksa have ugly Corsi On at -16 and -17 respectively while facing just a bit better than average QoC.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#140 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for this thread. Now he'll score next game. :)

doubt it
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#141 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Garrison can't possibly be a one-year wonder, because he spent two years as Florida's top shutdown defenseman, and that's what we signed him to be. He could score zero goals this year and still be worth his contract; if anyone seriously expected him to score 16, somebody would have offered him in excess of 6 million per.

He was not signed to be just a shutdown dman , He was signed for his shot too
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#142 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image

PBF020-Skub.gif

#143 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I hope he starts being a little bit more physical, he's been taking the worst of the hits so far. Once he gets a steady d- partner though I'm sure he will.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#144 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

JASON GARRISON AND THE GHOST OF KEITH BALLARD

It didn't take long for Canucks fans to begin sharpening their knives, in anticipation of carving up White Rock native and this summer's big free-agent acquisition Jason Garrison. Jason Garrison gave the perpetually dour and fatalistic faithful a reason to start too on Sunday when he fumbled a clearing attempt directly to Joe Thornton that ended up in the back of Vancouver's net, and again on Monday when he whiffed on a point shot, fell over and allowed Dustin Brown to breakout the other way (for a two-on-one that Jordan Schroeder and Alex Edler expertly foiled).

Those two sequnces when combined with the repeated sound of Garrison's zippy point blasts hitting the boards behind the net after a missed shot, have resulted in the newly minted Canucks defenseman burning through his "good local boy makes good (too bad he wasn't a Vancouver Giant)" honeymoon in record time.

Obviously judging a defenseman's performance using only your eyes and your emotional overreaction to a couple of relatively minor in-game errors is stupid as hell (no need to sugar coat it), though I suppose on some level it's understandable especially when one considers the ghost of Keith Ballard and the mixed legacy of former Florida Panthers skaters acquired by Mike Gillis.

The failed clearing attempt to Thornton aside, Jason Garrison has been mostly dynamite in his own end at five-on-five. He's only been on the ice for two goals against this season, is posting stellar possession rates and has brought a physical presence on the back-end (did you not see that hit he threw on Kopitar behind the net on Sunday?). At five-on-five he's already a clear upgrade over beloved, departed veteran Sami Salo.

Still, over at CanucksCorner, Raymond Kirk writes the following:

[Garrison's] play has, quite frankly, been terrible, especially the final two games in the road trip. The much heralded big shot has hit the net with less frequency than the popular (and missed by many) Sami Salo, and defensive zone play has been equally as spotty. Granted, it’s early, but I’m sensing that many are seeing the same similarities here in Garrison’s beginnings with Vancouver as we saw with the aforementioned Keith Ballard when he made his much anticipated and much scrutinized Canucks debut.

Which is really what this comes down too, I think: the ghost of Keith Ballard, and to a lesser extent David Booth.Keith Ballard's time in Vancouver has been uniquely unproductive for both parties, while Booth pisses off Canucks fans like a blue Brad Marchand, despite being a useful player (whose absence is very much noticeable early this season). Three former Panthers, all different people, all having their own unique issues adjusting to playing with the Canucks. Lumping them together might be tempting, but it's analytically meaningless because Jason Garrison, thankfully, isn't Keith Ballard.

Good read, with more supporting stats at the '...', but I think there's some truth to people being ready to dismiss any of our acquisitions from Florida as failures too quickly. It doesn't help when they all make about the same amount but Garrison does have good underlying stats so far this year, and people's tune will change if he starts scoring.

Edited by elvis15, 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#145 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

He's a plus two this early into the season while the team has looked sluggish to say the least. I like what I see from him at this point and am sure he will be fine. People tend to forget that he is coming off a season long groin injury and still has only played 6 games on a new team. Give him some time, he will be really good for the Canucks!

Marco Sturm was re-habbing a serious knee injury and he got 6 games with his new team before he was uncerimoniously dumped. Guess he didn't have a big enough contract for him to get cut any slack here at hypocricy central.

#146 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Does the media just spend their time on CDC and then write articles based off info from here? How else would they know so many people are hating on Garrison and so on.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#147 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Multiple warning signs regarding Jason Garrison's five hole goal.

#148 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Well, the one I posted was from Canucks Army, so as bloggers of the Canucks, they are probably pretty aware of the fans and their idiocy.

#149 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

LOL

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#150 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

LOL, everyone +1 this, haha (1st page).

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.