The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Garrison is facing the strongest quality of competition thus far of anyone on the Canucks. His relative corsi is also +5.1. He's doing just fine.

Bieksa and Hamhius are struggling, but they'll turn it around.

Is it just me or are there about 5 people on CDC who know what relative corsi is? The rest of these people seem content in the delusion that they can intuitively read the game without any statistical help or pro hockey experience. They might as well be saying "The Oracle on yonder mountain high hath divined that said goal in the third period lie entirely on said player's shoulders! Praise be to Allah for he giveth us this wisdom!"

He's a plus two this early into the season while the team has looked sluggish to say the least. I like what I see from him at this point and am sure he will be fine. People tend to forget that he is coming off a season long groin injury and still has only played 6 games on a new team. Give him some time, he will be really good for the Canucks!

He was never worth that contract In The first place IMO he's a good 5th defenceman with obviously the ability to play top four. But as usual CDC over hypes every player to put a canucks sweater on no matter who it is. Look at garrisons stats from last year it clearly shows teams adapted to his bomb of a shot which was clearly evident when he scored like 2 goals from the second half of the season last year.

I really hope he can get down the defensive system so he can at least be that solid defenceman we knew were going to get but it's wishful thinking that garrison puts up 8 goals in the short season. Remove him from playing with edler and keep him with hammer to cover him if he want to play more O.

He was a # 1 on Florida but a # 5 on Vancouver?

I thought the Canucks learned their lesson. No more Florida guys. Ballard and Booth have already been big disappointments.

Garrison isn't really helped by the fact he is paired with erratic Edler and neither guy seems comfortable playing on the right side.

Time will tell.. though obviously It's a little to early to be worrying about Garrison.

I thought the Eagles learned their lesson with Micheal Vick. Guess not.

I don't think over hyped, but I do think over exposed.

The rest of the D haven't made it an easy transition. Hamhuis-Bieksa should be the rock on this team right now. The team is trying to pick up where they left off from previous seasons but that's asking a lot of Garrison to simply fill-in for Salo, Salo was a major part of this team.

Decisions like splitting the pairings on the PK last night, presumably to get one of Edler/Garrison to clear the crease, is what is messing things up. Keep it simple until the team gets settled in. Until then, use Hamhuis-Bieksa as the 1st pairing.

I really don't see the point in experimenting with the D so much. It's like they do just because they can.

Of course, this completely ignores the fact that AV HAS been using Bieksa and Hamhuis as the #1 pairing in all situations - like he always does.....they have just sucked really, really badly at playing defence. Giving them MORE ice time is asking for more losses.

Is it just me or are there about 5 people on CDC who know what relative corsi is? The rest of these people seem content in the delusion that they can intuitively read the game without any statistical help or pro hockey experience. They might as well be saying "The Oracle on yonder mountain high hath divined that said goal in the third period lie entirely on said player's shoulders! Praise be to Allah for he giveth us this wisdom!"

Yeah - I think the people here who are complaining about him because his shot hasn't been bang on (which is about the only part of his game that has been rusty) - might be interested in how Florida feels about no longer having him on their blueline.

He only played right side on the Power Play I'm pretty sure.

It seems like everyone we get from Florida doesn't play well with our team, except Luongo.

Ballard is finally picking it up, let's hope it doesn't take a few seasons for Booth and Garrison to start playing to their potential also.

Not the case.

He actually only played 52.7% of his time on the right side to Campbell on the powerplay, whereas he spent 75.6% of his even strength ice time playing right side to Campbell. He played left side in all his other d pairings, but far less ice time with them.

http://hockey.dobber...mes=2011-2012:R

And there are plently of former Panthers who have played very well for the Canucks.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why Edler is playing right side to Garrison, but I'm not AV and I'd be willing to bet that he has very solid reasons for doing so that will either work out over time, or he'll change his mind if the on ice results don't pan out.

One thing I think about the Edler Garrison pairing is that it looks thus far that Garrison is being used to defer to Edler, provide stablility to Edler, who has been very good and quite mediocre - still looking for more consistency, whereas Garrison has been very steady but people are expecting instant scoring statistics because that's how they tend to calculate successfulness.

I'm happy we got Garrison, but I still don't like the amount we signed him for. I know we needed a new bomb from the point after losing Salo, and I know he took a discount over what some teams were offering to come here, but I'm not a fan of his cap hit. He finally had a good season at age 27 when paired with Campbell, and as we've seen before, one good season can net you a big pay increase. I just don't like the idea of having 2 big defensive cap hits with Ballard (Who has not played up to snuff) and Garrison (whose body of work I don't find particularly impressive for 4.6 mil)

Still, Its only 6 games into the season, and he does need time to gel with his new surroundings. I hope he starts to produce like he did in Florida soon.

Garrison can't possibly be a one-year wonder, because he spent two years as Florida's top shutdown defenseman, and that's what we signed him to be. He could score zero goals this year and still be worth his contract; if anyone seriously expected him to score 16, somebody would have offered him in excess of 6 million per.

Is it just me or are there about 5 people on CDC who know what relative corsi is?  The rest of these people seem content in the delusion that they can intuitively read the game without any statistical help or pro hockey experience.  They might as well be saying "The Oracle on yonder mountain high hath divined that said goal in the third period lie entirely on said player's shoulders!  Praise be to Allah for he giveth us this wisdom!"

Most of the people don't want to take the time to understand something complicated - that smacks of effort, man.

Yeah - I think the people here who are complaining about him because his shot hasn't been bang on (which is about the only part of his game that has been rusty) - might be interested in how Florida feels about no longer having him on their blueline.

I just made a post in the Weiss thread about that, their Corsi On is -13 and their PDO is 896. That includes some outliers like Tyson Strachan having only played one game but having a -79.79 Corsi, but Ellerby, Kuba, Upshall and Weiss are all below -20 and Parros is -38.3. That is ugly even for small sample sizes.

I did look at our numbers for the defence though, and Garrison's are pretty good: 5.5 Corsi On with 1.8 QoC. Edler's about the same (slightly better Corsi On) while Tanev and Ballard have awesome Corsi On but against weak QoC. Hamhuis and Bieksa have ugly Corsi On at -16 and -17 respectively while facing just a bit better than average QoC.

Archived