80 replies to this topic

#1 van_can_man

van_can_man

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

Our team specially the D has lost a lot of veteran leadership with the departure of Sami Salo.Last 4-5 years our D matured slowly and steadily under the wing of leaders like Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo. We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up.
Respect Your EDLERS # 23 !!

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Bieksa is supposed to be that guy, but he isn't cutting it.

zackass.png

#3 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

We no longer have a wiley veteran on this team and that's what's costing us. I knew this would happen when Salo was traded - the Canucks defence are still full of young guys who panic and aren't very calm without a veteran presence.

Get Vandermeer and Barker into the lineup, they're the closest we have to a real grey-beard to calm our panicky guys like Edler, Garrison and Bieksa down. Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard...
Posted Image

#4 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Canucks D do it by committee. They don`t have a leader per se.

0au3Jj.gif

#5 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,385 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

POPULAR

Last year Bieksa fought four times in 78 games. He's already fought twice in 6 games. He also leads our D in hits. I'd say he's stepping up. I thought he and Tanev were our best two d-men tonight. Edler is in his 7th pro season, Bieksa in his 8th, and Hamhuis in his 9th. It's not like we're running our D on raw rookies.
Posted Image

#6 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

POPULAR

We no longer have a wiley veteran on this team and that's what's costing us. I knew this would happen when Salo was traded - the Canucks defence are still full of young guys who panic and aren't very calm without a veteran presence.

Get Vandermeer and Barker into the lineup, they're the closest we have to a real grey-beard to calm our panicky guys like Edler, Garrison and Bieksa down. Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard...

tanev doing best he can with ballard??? ballard has been just fine this year..

cam barker is a grey beard????

:picard:

#7 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Didn't trade Salo.

I don't think we need one as we have experience throughout all pairs, we do it by committee, we don't have 1 guy that steps up, everyone knows they have to calm down.

Also "Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard.. " What do you mean by that? Ballard has been great, together they have been our best pair, both bring something to that pair that adds to the success, it's not one carrying the other llike Hamhuis/Bieksa are sometimes if that's what you are saying.

Last year Bieksa fought four times in 78 games. He's already fought twice in 6 games. He also leads our D in hits. I'd say he's stepping up. I thought he and Tanev were our best two d-men tonight. Edler is in his 7th pro season, Bieksa in his 8th, and Hamhuis in his 9th. It's not like we're running our D on raw rookies.

Thought Ballard was our best tonight, thought Bieksa played better but I would say Ballard was the best, closely followed by Tanev, then Bieksa. Perhaps I am off base with what I 1st said, but I just can't see him as the main veteran guy when he is as inconsistent as he is. I think we do it by committee, and Bieksa and Hamhuis lead the charge, they just got to start playing like they can.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 January 2013 - 02:30 AM.

zackass.png

#8 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

I always said Salo was our best D-man when healthy. If he had a NORMAL injury history, he would easily have been a 6-7 mil D-man. Completely underrated. Shame on Gillis for letting him go.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#9 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

"We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up." Van Can Man

Nah,the blue liners are all mature and even Tanev plays more steady than the old guys.
Bieksa and Hamhuis are having a rough start.I think the longer Dan carries Kevin the more it will become apparent whom is dragging down whom.
However, " a gaping hole in dictatorship" has to qualify for the most ridonkeyless statement of the short year.
Well done and step up to claim your prize.

#10 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,649 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Bieksa is supposed to be that guy, but he isn't cutting it.

I would have said he's the leader.

Good luck leading everyone else though when you're playing like horse doo-doo.
Posted Image

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

I would have said he's the leader.

Good luck leading everyone else though when you're playing like horse doo-doo.

Yeah pretty much.

zackass.png

#12 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Tanev for Tsar!

We will rename Canucks nations Tanevgrad.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#13 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

I thought bieksa played good tonight played simple didn't make many mistakes but now he's gotta do it more consistently but Edler has to start playing alot better defensively

#14 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

Bieksa is only a leader on contract years. So awesome a leader, in fact, that the rest of our team followed his example!
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#15 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

tanev doing best he can with ballard??? ballard has been just fine this year..

cam barker is a grey beard????

:picard:

ya i thought that was funny to... what barker being 26 and all....i am assuming he doesn't know who cam barker is..and were he has come from..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

"We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up." Van Can Man

Nah,the blue liners are all mature and even Tanev plays more steady than the old guys.
Bieksa and Hamhuis are having a rough start.I think the longer Dan carries Kevin the more it will become apparent whom is dragging down whom.
However, " a gaping hole in dictatorship" has to qualify for the most ridonkeyless statement of the short year.
Well done and step up to claim your prize.

gaping hole in dictatorship.... :sadno:
bieksa and tanev and ballard have been our best d...so far in the games we have played...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

gaping hole in dictatorship.... :sadno:
bieksa and tanev and ballard have been our best d...so far in the games we have played...

Bieksa is #3 fyi
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#18 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

Sarcasm?
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#19 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

When is MG FINALLY going to give this team what it needs...................a game changer and a big ball breaking D!

Edited by Bodee, 29 January 2013 - 04:34 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#20 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Didn't trade Salo.

I don't think we need one as we have experience throughout all pairs, we do it by committee, we don't have 1 guy that steps up, everyone knows they have to calm down.

Also "Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard.. " What do you mean by that? Ballard has been great, together they have been our best pair, both bring something to that pair that adds to the success, it's not one carrying the other llike Hamhuis/Bieksa are sometimes if that's what you are saying.

No we clearly do not. This team plays 6 games without Sami Salo and we have one of the worst defences in the league. Sure we don't have one star that carries the defence, but they aren't working well by committee which is the issue - they need a veteran presence desperately because guys like Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison are not veterans, they're defencemen in their prime. We need a guy who's played in this league a much longer time, and that was Salo. He'd seen it all. These guys haven't.

As for Ballard yes he's played ok, but he's paired with our best defenceman. You take away Tanev and he becomes our worst in an instance. So yes, Tanev is doing a great job with Ballard. He has turned this pathetic excuse for a defenceman into a decent 3rd pairing guy. You forget how badly he played without Tanev, and how he would be barrated for his poor play. Now Tanev comes along and fixes up his game perfectly.

Basically, we have 4 panicky guys on defence and 2 calm, cool and collected defenceman - Hamhuis and Tanev. We used to have Salo in that mix as well, giving us a set of perfect pairs: Tanev would settle Ballard down, Hamhuis would cover for Bieksa and Salo would help Edler play a more solid game. Now we have a mismatch with Garrison instead of Salo, who is even less experienced than Edler.

Barker and Vandermeer have been in this league a lot longer than some of our guys, I say throw Vandermeer in to see his effect on our other defencemen. This is why I was pushing so hard for Hal Gill or Allen - they would have fit this niche perfectly.
Posted Image

#21 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

"You take away Tanev and he becomes our worst in an instance. So yes, Tanev is doing a great job with Ballard."

Are you serious?..............did you watch Tanev in Chicago? He was a shadow of the player he is with Ballard at his side. Ballard is a thoroughbred stallion............Tanev is a thoroughbred colt learning at his side.
If you need to see the relationship in action go watch the LA playoff games and let me know who is the master.
Kevin.jpg

#22 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

Edler should be the one stepping it up, whether it's throwing a big check, creating offense or just being a calming factor on the blueline.
The anchor on the back end.

Instead, it seems that he's haven't been the same since the Stanley Cup finals. Last year wasn't that great either, especially the playoffs, albeit we found out he was kinda injured. Lets pray his "poor play" (relative to how good he has been previously) is due to his surgery plus maybe he haven't had has much training as he wanted. Hopefully it's not because the cool cucumber "Automatic Alex" is the by-product of Ohlund, Ehrhoff, and Salo carrying him.

#23 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

We have no playmaker on D and they lack poise at the moment.

Edler is a good defenseman but he's not a playmaker like Lidstrom, Niedermayer or Keith can be.

When we pair him with Garrisson on the PP, they don't make good plays, Edler's one timer pass to Garrisson is inaccurate, and they both hold on to the puck too long, letting the defender come close and cutting the passing lane. They then have to shoot the puck in the corner and the Sedins needs to battle again to gain possession.

Hamhuis and Bieksa as well aren't playmaker. That is why I'd rather give a chance to Ballard or Tanev on the first PP with Edler and the Sedins. Yes they might give the puck up on a few occasion, but i think it would be better than it is now.

PP1:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Edler-Ballard(tanev)

PP2:
Burrows-Schroeder-Raymond
Hamhuis-Garrison

#24 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Letting salo go was idiotic.

Our d are too small.

Oh well.....Rogers is sold out.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#25 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,968 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

We really miss SS on the pp.

As for the D, Bieksa is that guy (if you haven't noticed him taking a leadership role, then you've missed something). They're working out the kinks and I feel encouraged by the fact that they've had 2-0 leads...now they need to figure out how to hang on to them.

Garrison likes to shoot, but has a big shot that's way off target and it means the puck often comes ricocheting back around the boards and gives the other team momentum going the other way. We need to get those shots on net. That's part of my expert observation.

Posted Image

#26 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,531 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

When is MG FINALLY going to give this team what it needs...................a game changer and a big ball breaking D!

Even a Luongo trade won't bring that in. What do you suggest we trade to get these two pieces?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#27 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm a Salo fan as much as anyone. But he had noticably lost a step by the end of last season.

I think it was definitely the right move not to offer him the kind of contract Tampa did, just as I thought it was the right move not to match Ohlund's either...which has been proven true.
Posted Image

#28 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Bieksa is the go-to guy when the team needs a spark, a kick in the ass, etc. Hamhuis is the guy who is there to settle everyone down.

Keep in mind these guys are still a little rusty. Our team isn't the only team that is making defensive mistakes. I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just saying it is still relatively early in the shortened season.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#29 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Tanev was the only one of the bunch that played during the lockout...................and it shows.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#30 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,387 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

POPULAR

As for Ballard yes he's played ok, but he's paired with our best defenceman. You take away Tanev and he becomes our worst in an instance. So yes, Tanev is doing a great job with Ballard. He has turned this pathetic excuse for a defenceman into a decent 3rd pairing guy. You forget how badly he played without Tanev, and how he would be barrated for his poor play. Now Tanev comes along and fixes up his game perfectly.

Ballard was covering up for a ton of guys last night, including Tanev. Tanev seems to do the same in other nights. Ballard covered for Edler on that dumb rinkwide pass and Bieksa on a couple occasions. There was also a part of the game where Ballard and Tanev both made the exact mistake (straight pass didn't get through) and Ballard recovered the puck on BOTH occasions.

Also what you don't realize is how easily Ballard skates the puck out of his zone, looks like Keith or Doughty when he does that.

Ballard may be small but it seems that almost everytime someone tries to run him he just stays planted on the ice, unlike Bieksa or Tanev (props to Tanev though, he can take a lot of hard hits)

Ballard has clearly been the best passer and skater on defense, I just hope he keeps it up.

No way he becomes the worst if you take Tanev out of his pairing...
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.