The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our defense lacking leader

van_can_man

Our team specially the D has lost a lot of veteran leadership with the departure of Sami Salo.Last 4-5 years our D matured slowly and steadily under the wing of leaders like Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo. We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up.

We no longer have a wiley veteran on this team and that's what's costing us. I knew this would happen when Salo was traded - the Canucks defence are still full of young guys who panic and aren't very calm without a veteran presence.

Get Vandermeer and Barker into the lineup, they're the closest we have to a real grey-beard to calm our panicky guys like Edler, Garrison and Bieksa down. Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard...

Last year Bieksa fought four times in 78 games. He's already fought twice in 6 games. He also leads our D in hits. I'd say he's stepping up. I thought he and Tanev were our best two d-men tonight. Edler is in his 7th pro season, Bieksa in his 8th, and Hamhuis in his 9th. It's not like we're running our D on raw rookies.

We no longer have a wiley veteran on this team and that's what's costing us. I knew this would happen when Salo was traded - the Canucks defence are still full of young guys who panic and aren't very calm without a veteran presence.

Get Vandermeer and Barker into the lineup, they're the closest we have to a real grey-beard to calm our panicky guys like Edler, Garrison and Bieksa down. Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard...

"We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up." Van Can Man

Nah,the blue liners are all mature and even Tanev plays more steady than the old guys.

Bieksa and Hamhuis are having a rough start.I think the longer Dan carries Kevin the more it will become apparent whom is dragging down whom.

However, " a gaping hole in dictatorship" has to qualify for the most ridonkeyless statement of the short year.

Well done and step up to claim your prize.

"We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up." Van Can Man

Nah,the blue liners are all mature and even Tanev plays more steady than the old guys.

Bieksa and Hamhuis are having a rough start.I think the longer Dan carries Kevin the more it will become apparent whom is dragging down whom.

However, " a gaping hole in dictatorship" has to qualify for the most ridonkeyless statement of the short year.

Well done and step up to claim your prize.

Didn't trade Salo.

I don't think we need one as we have experience throughout all pairs, we do it by committee, we don't have 1 guy that steps up, everyone knows they have to calm down.

Also "Tanev is doing the best he can with Ballard.. " What do you mean by that? Ballard has been great, together they have been our best pair, both bring something to that pair that adds to the success, it's not one carrying the other llike Hamhuis/Bieksa are sometimes if that's what you are saying.

Archived