The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our defense lacking leader

van_can_man

No we clearly do not. This team plays 6 games without Sami Salo and we have one of the worst defences in the league. Sure we don't have one star that carries the defence, but they aren't working well by committee which is the issue - they need a veteran presence desperately because guys like Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison are not veterans, they're defencemen in their prime. We need a guy who's played in this league a much longer time, and that was Salo. He'd seen it all. These guys haven't.

As for Ballard yes he's played ok, but he's paired with our best defenceman. You take away Tanev and he becomes our worst in an instance. So yes, Tanev is doing a great job with Ballard. He has turned this pathetic excuse for a defenceman into a decent 3rd pairing guy. You forget how badly he played without Tanev, and how he would be barrated for his poor play. Now Tanev comes along and fixes up his game perfectly.

Basically, we have 4 panicky guys on defence and 2 calm, cool and collected defenceman - Hamhuis and Tanev. We used to have Salo in that mix as well, giving us a set of perfect pairs: Tanev would settle Ballard down, Hamhuis would cover for Bieksa and Salo would help Edler play a more solid game. Now we have a mismatch with Garrison instead of Salo, who is even less experienced than Edler.

Barker and Vandermeer have been in this league a lot longer than some of our guys, I say throw Vandermeer in to see his effect on our other defencemen. This is why I was pushing so hard for Hal Gill or Allen - they would have fit this niche perfectly.

No we clearly do not. This team plays 6 games without Sami Salo and we have one of the worst defences in the league. Sure we don't have one star that carries the defence, but they aren't working well by committee which is the issue - they need a veteran presence desperately because guys like Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison are not veterans, they're defencemen in their prime. We need a guy who's played in this league a much longer time, and that was Salo. He'd seen it all. These guys haven't.

As for Ballard yes he's played ok, but he's paired with our best defenceman. You take away Tanev and he becomes our worst in an instance. So yes, Tanev is doing a great job with Ballard. He has turned this pathetic excuse for a defenceman into a decent 3rd pairing guy. You forget how badly he played without Tanev, and how he would be barrated for his poor play. Now Tanev comes along and fixes up his game perfectly.

Basically, we have 4 panicky guys on defence and 2 calm, cool and collected defenceman - Hamhuis and Tanev. We used to have Salo in that mix as well, giving us a set of perfect pairs: Tanev would settle Ballard down, Hamhuis would cover for Bieksa and Salo would help Edler play a more solid game. Now we have a mismatch with Garrison instead of Salo, who is even less experienced than Edler.

Barker and Vandermeer have been in this league a lot longer than some of our guys, I say throw Vandermeer in to see his effect on our other defencemen. This is why I was pushing so hard for Hal Gill or Allen - they would have fit this niche perfectly.

I've been happy with Ballard, Tanev and Bieksa. Those three have been so far the backbone of the Dcore and have prevented pretty much from the team from caving in deep. Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler have been subpar and the last 3 games has exposed how poorly they have been playing. There is absolutely no room for error and some of these guys are botching it up big time.

I'm starting to really see the purpose of Ballard's role on this team. It may not show up on the score board and his salary doesn't quite fit the bill, but his steady, calm and loose game is giving me more and more confidence with him on the ice. He and Tanev are barely noticable on the ice which in that fact is good cause it means they aren't doing stupid things compared to the other four guys. And when they are noticable, they are doing smart and simple plays that dont put our team in a bad position. Props to those two.

Ballard definately needs some power play time. He had been our bes defenceman thus far and has earned it. Hamhuis can sit out on the PP.

I'd also like to see AV insert Barker soon. I know that everyone is rusty, no training camp and whatever, but I wonder how much the top 4 think their spot is cemented, vs Tanev and Ballard thinking they have some heat from the 7th and 8th spot? It is hard to say who would sit, Garrison has no points, but is +2, Edler has 5 points in 6 games but is -1, Hamhuis has 4 points and a -3 and Bieksa has no points and -1.

Based on that I'd have to say either Hamhuis, worst +/- or Bieksa, a minus player with no points.

Our team specially the D has lost a lot of veteran leadership with the departure of Sami Salo.Last 4-5 years our D matured slowly and steadily under the wing of leaders like Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo. We certainly have the skill and talent this year but lacking the leadership. Canucks have a gaping hole in dictatorship to fill on our blue line. Seasoned players like Bieksa and Hamhuis need to step up.

The Canucks will never win the Stanley Cup with our present defense. This whole defense by committee idea is ridiculous and doesn't work. The defense has been the issue that killed us in the playoffs both 2011 and last year. People wanted to blame Luongo solely for the losses, but having a lacklustre, and easily overpowered defense is what did it.

Alex Edler will never be the leader that this team needs on the blueline. Yes he can score and hit, but he lacks any kind of grit or leadership. Last night against the Kings he was the reason they tied it up. He couldn't clear the crease (again) and ended up screening Luongo. That is not Norris material now, nor will it ever be. But I am sure a lot of the CDC homers with a crush on Edler will come out defending him as they always have. And these same fools will moan about the forwards lack of scoring or the "questionable" goaltending.

Fact is that both Luongo and Schneider have saved games, Dominated in their positions.

Henrik, Daniel, and Kesler have carried this team on their back.

Has Edler ever saved a game? Has Bieksa ever carried the team? No. Sure Bieksa is a great spokesman and local celebrity, but as a defenseman, his best days are behind him.

The powerplay would be much better if the defense could keep it in the zone, which they usually can't.

If the Canucks ever want another chance at Lord Stanley's cup, they will need a better defense. They will need to trade away some pieces and do what it takes, at whatever the cost to get a true #1. In the process, they should take a long hard look at how Bieksa and Edler fit into this team regardless of their popularity with the fans.

Bieksa looks like he's avoiding contact. He's more than willing to shove guys and lay the shoulder into someone, but when the forecheck is coming down hard, he looks more interested in getting outta the way than making the pass. He usually just throws it up to the boards to the first player in another jersey and spins away from the hit. Gotta sacrifice the body to make the right play.

The Canucks will never win the Stanley Cup with our present defense. This whole defense by committee idea is ridiculous and doesn't work. The defense has been the issue that killed us in the playoffs both 2011 and last year. People wanted to blame Luongo solely for the losses, but having a lacklustre, and easily overpowered defense is what did it.

Alex Edler will never be the leader that this team needs on the blueline. Yes he can score and hit, but he lacks any kind of grit or leadership. Last night against the Kings he was the reason they tied it up. He couldn't clear the crease (again) and ended up screening Luongo. That is not Norris material now, nor will it ever be. But I am sure a lot of the CDC homers with a crush on Edler will come out defending him as they always have. And these same fools will moan about the forwards lack of scoring or the "questionable" goaltending.

Fact is that both Luongo and Schneider have saved games, Dominated in their positions.

Henrik, Daniel, and Kesler have carried this team on their back.

Has Edler ever saved a game? Has Bieksa ever carried the team? No. Sure Bieksa is a great spokesman and local celebrity, but as a defenseman, his best days are behind him.

The powerplay would be much better if the defense could keep it in the zone, which they usually can't.

If the Canucks ever want another chance at Lord Stanley's cup, they will need a better defense. They will need to trade away some pieces and do what it takes, at whatever the cost to get a true #1. In the process, they should take a long hard look at how Bieksa and Edler fit into this team regardless of their popularity with the fans.

Bieksa looks like he's avoiding contact. He's more than willing to shove guys and lay the shoulder into someone, but when the forecheck is coming down hard, he looks more interested in getting outta the way than making the pass. He usually just throws it up to the boards to the first player in another jersey and spins away from the hit. Gotta sacrifice the body to make the right play.

He avoids taking hits, not giving them. Tanev and Ballard are getting smashed, but they make the right passes because they hang in there long enough to find the right outlet. Juice just throws it up the boards and gets the hell outta the way.

Bieksa is the leader but he is starting slowly as usual, nothing to worry about there. Edler started well but he's looking uncomfortable right now, he needs a regular role and regular partner and to play on his proper side. Tanev, everyone's raving about him, but I don't see it. He keeps mishandling the puck, letting it past him at the point, not reacting quickly enough to forecheck pressure, forcing Ballard to bail him out. Ballard has been the most consistent to this point, he's playing real well. Hamhuis and Garrison look like they're having a tough time of it. I'd like to see Alberts get in some games, we could use more size on the blueline, our D is too small.

Archived