The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think there's a coaching problem?

Merci

Where do we draw the line?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always say fire the coward coach AV. 6 games in and this team had already blown THREE gmes with 2 goal leads. It's just a joke the Canucks had only 3 shots on goal in the third period to protect a one goal lead. AV's system of PLAYING DUMP IN AT CENTER ICE TO GVE AWAY THE PUCK FOR A QUICK CHANGE had been killing the Canucks for many years now. AV is just an idiot to instruct his team to fight hard for the puck in their own zone, only to give it away at center ice to start defending again. The opposition knows too well the Canucks are not going to make plays, shoot and go for the next goal and they can go all out for offense. Fire AV to rescue the season!

Coaching staff have tried it all. We tried playing run-and-gun with the Sharks and Ducks, ended up going 1-2-0 and getting embarassed. We tried playing a close, tight checking defensive game against LA and blow a 2 goal lead.

We probably should of reversed those roles. Play good defensive games against the Sharks and Ducks, and open it up against a not-so-offensive Kings team.

Nevertheless I'd be happy if the Canucks are playing .500 hockey by the end of the first quarter of the season, then go on a typical late-season tear.

I've been on the fence with AV for years, I like him, then i hate him, then i forgive him, and dadadadadada

but a change is needed, just read this thread, or the numerous other fire AV threads. Its not even the same people posting, there is a definitive number of canucks fans that dont like this guy...

and coaching changes are proven to get success, look at davis payne being fired and replaced by hitchcock in st louis? obviously the kings last year and the pens in 09,.. this team is close..

it would be a shame to see this window slammed shut by a predictable coach..

AV is a regular season coach. In a 7-game series, any other coach will tear him apart limb from limb. It's happened time and time again.

The AV lovers, far and few between, can pile on BS excuse on top of accolade of regular season success upon more excuses all the live long day.... Meanwhile, heaps and hordes of people will continue to see his flaws and fan the flames.

All the while, AV will do nothing but chew his gum until his guts rot from aspartame.

Now with poll.

We've all heard both side of this story hundreds of thousands of time on these boards, but if you feel the need to voice your reasoning, PLEASE DO!

My intention here is to figure out exactly how much patience people here actually have for the current coaching staff.

I think he's a great guy but these past three seasons we've seen the same problem again and again, and every off season, we see guys come and some go, but yet the same problems exist.

I think at this point, we''re wasting the team we have on trying to do the same thing. I would like to see a new head coach and maybe keep av as assistant coach.

Wish we could trade coaches like we trade players, but obviously that's not realistic haha

PS. I voted a long time ago because none of the other ones fit what i feel thanks

People always get up and arms every season when we have a slow start and this year shouldn't be any different. If it is then AV has to go, maybe not because he's doing something bad but because the team would need a change behind the bench in order to fire them up. I would say if we missed the playoffs it would be his time to go.

I think i had a problem voting was because my breaking point was a few seasons ago, but for the second part of the question regarding when we fire him, i'm leaning towards .500 halfway through the season

Other than that, i think your options pretty mucher covers everything =]

I blame MG much more than AV.

He has year on year failed to give this team a big gutsy GAME CHANGER and a big BALL CRUSHING D. He acts like the other teams all stand still waiting for the Canucks to win Game 7.

Get AV these 2 players and he'll win us the cup. And quite honestly, our need is so bad there is only the Sedins I WOULDN'T be prepared to trade to get them.

No coach would win the SC with that team imo. It is a miracle we reached GAME 7..........and in fact the SC Finals team was arguably much better, certainly in playing terms, than the team we have now.

We need to face it MG did not give the team the injection of the type of player it needed. He could learn a big lesson from Sir Alex Ferguson..............who stays on top by constantly upgrading and injecting quality in to successful teams.

He doesn't go in for projects or mediocrity he respects the team too much for that. I really think it is MG's coat that is on a "shoogly peg".............he doesn't seem to have the ultimate balls to be a GM.

Guys AV is fine. He is not the problem. But coaching is.

Rick Bowness and Newel Brown need to be fired. Our special teams are some of the worst in the league after being the best a year or two ago, and personel has hardly changed over that time. Fire the special teams coach, get a new one in and implement some new strategies because we have arguably the best pieces to work with on the PP in the entire league. As a 5 man unit there are no teams better and more versatile, not even Pittsburgh. We have 2 big shots and passers on the blueline, the best passers in the world in the twins and one of the biggest bodies in front of the net in Kassian. There's no excuse there for the PP to be so bad.

As for our defence coach, he's found a way to turn what should be one of the top-5 if not higher defensive cores on paper into one of the worst, giving up far too many goals. Team defence is struggling big time right now, but it starts with our defencemen making bad pinches, poor reads and terrible passes. This isn't just execution, it's positioning and our entire defensive system that needs a change.

Either get the respective coaches to change their systems completely or fire the assistant coaches.

I voted a long time ago for many reasons, but befire i begin id just like to start out saying that this isnt just AVs fault, its MG mostly.. But i suppose ill save that rang for another day.

Anyways AV has been an awful coach, his coaching strategies, his constant unnecessary benching of great players, and also his over play of players who arent doing so well !

AV has got to go and im not juat saying this because we lost in 11, im saying this because he is a quite behind the bench coach who barley talks.

But again most of this is MG. so i might just be taking my rage out on AV.

Tired at 7 games in? Yikes.

If they're tired already, they're going to have a tough time winning the cup.

Tonight came down to strategy. It's pretty obvious. The more you sit back and let the other team enter your zone, the more chances they have to tie it up. That's just a given. Thinking you're safe with a 1 goal lead in the NHL is probably the dumbest thing you can do.

I blame MG much more than AV.

He has year on year failed to give this team a big gutsy GAME CHANGER and a big BALL CRUSHING D. He acts like the other teams all stand still waiting for the Canucks to win Game 7.

Get AV these 2 players and he'll win us the cup. And quite honestly, our need is so bad there is only the Sedins I WOULDN'T be prepared to trade to get them.

No coach would win the SC with that team imo. It is a miracle we reached GAME 7..........and in fact the SC Finals team was arguably much better, certainly in playing terms, than the team we have now.

We need to face it MG did not give the team the injection of the type of player it needed. He could learn a big lesson from Sir Alex Ferguson..............who stays on top by constantly upgrading and injecting quality in to successful teams.

He doesn't go in for projects or mediocrity he respects the team too much for that. I really think it is MG's coat that is on a "shoogly peg".............he doesn't seem to have the ultimate balls to be a GM.

Archived