The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think there's a coaching problem?

Merci

Where do we draw the line?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How so? Our team had the best goals for and the best goals against, the best powerplay, and I believe the 2nd best PK. We won the Presedent's Trophy and the Western Conerance by healthy margins, and won our division by a landslide. Many analysts had Van picked as cup favourites and, aside from our hichup against Chicago, we were excellent in the playoffs through the conferance finals. Why is it a miracle that the team made the SCF?

Ive never understood why this team seemingly refuses to counterattack when trying to protect a lead.

As the game progresses, the team that is trailing is forced to take more risks. Obviously, the team with the lead will have more opportunites for odd man rushes. They can put the game away if they capitalize.

I dont see this happening for the Canucks, who seem to get 3 about shots per period in this situation. Its an ugly, ghastly turtling strategy. Its bound to fail when the opposing teams realize there are no cosequences to their risk taking.

I like AV well enough as he has been a fantastic coach over the years. However, as others have said, something has to give. The turtle mode we go into when we have a 2 goal lead rarely works out, yet it is never changed. The PP is awful as teams know what we are doing. The inability to adjust in game to changing mechanics within a game is frustrating. The inability to enact any kind of push back when we lose momentum.

What gets me the worst out of that is momentum. We are great at getting a lead, having all the momentum going into an intermission. We then follow that up with turtle mode out of the intermission. Lose momentum, lose lead, lose game. It is very frustrating.

For all intensive purposes however, i freakin love this team

Oh No! The sky is falling...

With 2/3rds of the 2nd forward line injured, we are only tied for 1st in the Northwest with 42 games left.

I'm with you, I am also a little disappointent with the slow start but I've been a fan since '73 and I'd hate to break it to you but this is not the first year we've had a slow start. Actually, I can't honestly remember a recent year with a fast start.

It will all fall into place, hopefully sooner than later. As long as we can tread water (collect points) until we get our Sh!& together, we'll be fine.

As far as AV goes... Weren't we going to nominate him for Prime Minister back in '11 as we were going into the Finals? (28 other coaches didn't get that far). 2 President Trophies (back to back).

IMHO, the boys should not blow their wads in the regular season gunning for the President's Trophy, they should attempt to leave some gas in the tank for a playoff run.

My problem is the the Jekyll and Hyde side of this team. One minute they are playing like world beaters. Next minute they look confused, lost, and look like the Leafs could crush them.

Players can only hear the same things for so long before they start to tune it out. I can't stand hearing crap like "It's part of the process.." What process? The .500 process?

A coaches job is to prepare the team. It's one thing to get outplayed, I can live with that. AV seems to be one of those guys that he has a plan, and no matter what happens he sticks to it. He might juggle the lines, but the strategy stays.

But our strategy is predictable, and we haven't found one lately that suits our players.

Honestly, the Canucks blew it this offseason. Larry Robinson's contract ran out at the end of last season. He's the perfect replacement. He's coached a Stanley Cup winner. He knows defence. And he knows how to break down other team's defences.

He also seems to get the most mileage out of his players. Instead of firing AV in the offseason, we're now stuck with AV.

San Jose has hired him as an assistant. I don't think it's a surprise that now the Sharks have one of the best goals against in the league. Because he will have that defence working as a unit. Maybe he was the spark of confidence or he cracks the whip that's getting Marleau and Thornton to give the best start they've had in years, perhaps of their whole careers.

The real question is if you let AV go, who do you replace him with?

My problem is the the Jekyll and Hyde side of this team. One minute they are playing like world beaters. Next minute they look confused, lost, and look like the Leafs could crush them.

Players can only hear the same things for so long before they start to tune it out. I can't stand hearing crap like "It's part of the process.." What process? The .500 process?

A coaches job is to prepare the team. It's one thing to get outplayed, I can live with that. AV seems to be one of those guys that he has a plan, and no matter what happens he sticks to it. He might juggle the lines, but the strategy stays.

But our strategy is predictable, and we haven't found one lately that suits our players.

Honestly, the Canucks blew it this offseason. Larry Robinson's contract ran out at the end of last season. He's the perfect replacement. He's coached a Stanley Cup winner. He knows defence. And he knows how to break down other team's defences.

He also seems to get the most mileage out of his players. Instead of firing AV in the offseason, we're now stuck with AV.

San Jose has hired him as an assistant. I don't think it's a surprise that now the Sharks have one of the best goals against in the league. Because he will have that defence working as a unit. Maybe he was the spark of confidence or he cracks the whip that's getting Marleau and Thornton to give the best start they've had in years, perhaps of their whole careers.

Ha Ha AV is not getting fired there is alot more going on internally than just the Game. Gillis and AV are playing chess. You are playing checkers or nhl 13.

AV backed the team off in the 3rd period because he recognised the King's were destroying us Physically in most of the first and all of the second period. He didn't want the team to blow their wad early like they did against Boston last season. Who cares if we win this game if were so banged up from it, it takes weeks to recover Canucks already have enough injury problems. AV needs to protect his players and just try to make .500 for the next few weeks. It will all make sense when Kes and Booth come back to a team that is jelling and healthy.

Ha Ha AV is not getting fired there is alot more going on internally than just the Game. Gillis and AV are playing chess. You are playing checkers or nhl 13.

AV backed the team off in the 3rd period because he recognised the King's were destroying us Physically in most of the first and all of the second period. He didn't want the team to blow their wad early like they did against Boston last season. Who cares if we win this game if were so banged up from it, it takes weeks to recover Canucks already have enough injury problems. AV needs to protect his players and just try to make .500 for the next few weeks. It will all make sense when Kes and Booth come back to a team that is jelling and healthy.

Archived