The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reality Check!

J.I.A.H.N

Sitting hear reading the boards this morning and thinking that we are just a little messed up with our early season expetations. Maybe we should look at some of the negs and positives and be happier with our early season start.

Point # 1 Edmontons players collectively all started Oct 1 ish, went through training camp and their core are all high scoring CHL first rounders. The best chance they have this year is to come out of the gate fast!

( We lost in a shoot out! We put one more in and it's 2 points for us)

Point # 2 San Jose has a great squad with no injuries to the core, and are a huge team that plays physical, and if you are not ready, will beat any team down.

( It's a game of inches and with 4 or 5 crossbars and posts. A little bit of luck and we win the game, not that we really deserved it! But it would have been close, and we did out shoot them during the middle of the game. With a little luck, we could have stole those points, from arguably their team is playing the best hockey in the west right now)

Point #3 LA didn't play the night before and it was their season opener. Our boys were gassed in the later part of the game....partly because of conditioning and partly the result of the San Jose game.( but bottom line is we got 1 point, and could have had 2)

So out of the last 4 games, we could have came out of them with easily 6 to 8 points, despite playing in our eyes " not so well " despite our defense not melding yet, and despite 2/3 of our second line not being here. And despite the on going goaltending distraction.

If we look at some of the unexpected plus's

Raymond looks much better this year, and ready to contribute.

Schroeder doesn't look out of place and is pretty bloody good at faceoffs

Kassian looks much better and maybe our best player out of the gate

Ballard and Tanev has had a great start to the season ( Thank God! )

Yes, those are Rose colored glasses, but honestly, we had been complaining about points lost and not that we have no talent and can't compete. Listen, other teams are getting better and maturing, just like we did years ago, but my point is we have not been playing well, and yet other teams have been lucky againt us to take the points they have.

If you want to talk Negs you can, there are lots. But you can attribute it mostly to conditioning, Kesler missing, and the goaltending debacle. And hey, we always knew we didn't have alot of depth on the farm!

Sitting hear reading the boards this morning and thinking that we are just a little messed up with our early season expetations. Maybe we should look at some of the negs and positives and be happier with our early season start.

Point # 1 Edmontons players collectively all started Oct 1 ish, went through training camp and their core are all high scoring CHL first rounders. The best chance they have this year is to come out of the gate fast!

( We lost in a shoot out! We put one more in and it's 2 points for us)

Point # 2 San Jose has a great squad with no injuries to the core, and are a huge team that plays physical, and if you are not ready, will beat any team down.

( It's a game of inches and with 4 or 5 crossbars and posts. A little bit of luck and we win the game, not that we really deserved it! But it would have been close, and we did out shoot them during the middle of the game. With a little luck, we could have stole those points, from arguably their team is playing the best hockey in the west right now)

Point #3 LA didn't play the night before and it was their season opener. Our boys were gassed in the later part of the game....partly because of conditioning and partly the result of the San Jose game.( but bottom line is we got 1 point, and could have had 2)

So out of the last 4 games, we could have came out of them with easily 6 to 8 points, despite playing in our eyes " not so well " despite our defense not melding yet, and despite 2/3 of our second line not being here. And despite the on going goaltending distraction.

If we look at some of the unexpected plus's

Raymond looks much better this year, and ready to contribute.

Schroeder doesn't look out of place and is pretty bloody good at faceoffs

Kassian looks much better and maybe our best player out of the gate

Ballard and Tanev has had a great start to the season ( Thank God! )

Yes, those are Rose colored glasses, but honestly, we had been complaining about points lost and not that we have no talent and can't compete. Listen, other teams are getting better and maturing, just like we did years ago, but my point is we have not been playing well, and yet other teams have been lucky againt us to take the points they have.

If you want to talk Negs you can, there are lots. But you can attribute it mostly to conditioning, Kesler missing, and the goaltending debacle. And hey, we always knew we didn't have alot of depth on the farm!

Gave away all of my Canucks stuff to a Calgary fan.......scraped off my Canucks tattoo with a wire brush.....told all of my best friends who i watch the games with that theyre stupid and i dont like them anymore......cant live with a tv that has the potential to play canucks games so i threw it out the window.......had seen a news stand and there was a copy of the Provence sitting there, bottom side up; I was so insulted I shot the news stand owner and burnt it to the ground.......used to love Vancouver but I'm thinking of moving to Chicago.....will bury my head in the sand until July.......(in july, head comes out of sand) -- > we won, what do you mean we won???

Gave away all of my Canucks stuff to a Calgary fan.......scraped off my Canucks tattoo with a wire brush.....told all of my best friends who i watch the games with that theyre stupid and i dont like them anymore......cant live with a tv that has the potential to play canucks games so i threw it out the window.......had seen a news stand and there was a copy of the Provence sitting there, bottom side up; I was so insulted I shot the news stand owner and burnt it to the ground.......used to love Vancouver but I'm thinking of moving to Chicago.....will bury my head in the sand until July.......(in july, head comes out of sand) -- > we won, what do you mean we won???

We're gonna win this division again, maybe even conference or PT, and once healthy with Kesler and Booth back, the new guys like Garrison, and whoever we get in a Luongo deal (if there is one) will start to gel and get used to the system this team will start rolling. If they can stay healthy this team has a really good shot to win it all. I'm not worried at all, its a .500 start with a 2-2-2 record, not a 0-6 start. I'm excited with the potential and depth this team has.

For a team that is suppossed to be elite 2-2-2 is very subpar. But it is early and we are missing 2 of our top 6 fowards. What really kinda concerns me is the change of style the Canucks have undergone. Ever since midway point of last season they seem to not attack on the forecheck. That was my favorite part of our team. We had 3 and most nights 4 lines that would hem the other team in thier zone creating chance after chance. Now, if we are lucky, we see the Sedin line do it a couple times a game. We get a lead and sit back on it till its gone. We used to keep the pedal down and we didnt have to worry about defence so much. I fear that if they keep this gameplan we will have a hard time making the playoffs and if we do, we wont last long.

Archived