The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too soon to panic... but 1 change would be nice

nuck luck

Gotta say: I'm just tired of watching the Canucks trying to nurse a two goal lead. That's the one thing... At the 12min mark of the second they stared with the old dump and chase; play D routine, And heck yes, I put that on AV and AV alone. Same old boring, predictable BS with a small lead: no attack, no speed. I can cut the team a bit of slack because they played 3 games in 4 days and were probably pretty damn tired.... But we're half way through the fricken game man and AV should be driving his team harder at that point.

I fully expect to see this crap over and over again. LAME AND BORING

Ive supported AV for a long time, but anyone defending him is delusional.

He clearly needs to go, this team needs a fire under there arse. Coaching changes are usually beneficial for struggling teams.

Back in 09 when the Penguins fired Therrien they brought in Dan Bylsma. And everyone said at the same time "WHO'S DAN BYLSMA!?!?" And he went on to win a cup after Therrien took them to the finals and lost the year before.

So that little history lesson should negate any rant about how theres no one else to take over his job.... SURE THERE IS WE JUST HAVEN'T HEARD OF HIM YET!!

FIRE AV

If you're talking about making one change I think that would have to be swapping Garrison and Tanev on the D pairings.

Hamhuis - Bieksa (I think they're rounding out alright, Bieksa's got more jump back)

Ballard - Garrison should work well (skater, play maker, roamer - can also skate, booming shot, defensive oriented)

Edler - Tanev

(Edler's been producing gaffes pretty frequently, plus he needs to be fed the puck to hammer, just like what Ehrhoff did while he was here; Tanev's the passer and he can close opponents down with his stick in close)

Goaltending's fine, forwards will round into shape

If you're talking about making one change I think that would have to be swapping Garrison and Tanev on the D pairings.

Hamhuis - Bieksa (I think they're rounding out alright, Bieksa's got more jump back)

Ballard - Garrison should work well (skater, play maker, roamer - can also skate, booming shot, defensive oriented)

Edler - Tanev

(Edler's been producing gaffes pretty frequently, plus he needs to be fed the puck to hammer, just like what Ehrhoff did while he was here; Tanev's the passer and he can close opponents down with his stick in close)

Goaltending's fine, forwards will round into shape

When Booth and Kesler come back it will be a big help. I like Kassian with the sedin so when they come back I see the lines will be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-kesler-Raymond

Hansen-burrows-Higgins

Weise-malhotra-Lappiere

AV is a good coach but your right, if a coach does become available, for example Mike Babcock( not saying hes going to just using him as an example) AV will be fired and he will be hired.

I know it sucks that we lost....but at least we got a point out of it. This team (without 2/3's of the 2nd line) is still keeping us in playoff contention.

- Lou: Played amazing! He basically kept us in it and got us the point. I'm glad he's still a Canuck! After this shortened season and the playoffs start, we're gonna have the best tandem (and best rested) in the league.... and we all know the importance of this position come playoffs. Lous increasing his value and reminding people what his true value is, if he does get traded before the deadline than it's gonna be for something worthy....

- Kass: I'm getting his jersey.

- Schroeds: Earned a spot on the roster. Nice to see another prospect we drafted rise to the level....

- Burr: Might have found his scoring touch... looked good with Higgy.

- Higgy: Definite improvement and looks to be on his way back to form.

- Sedins: Playing a little more aggressive.... confidence is good.

- Hansen: Just needs to find his scoring touch and we're all good.

- Mayray: No goals, but hasn't digressed.

- Ballard: Looks great....( I mentioned this in a previous post ) we won't be able to afford his cap, so anything to improve his trade value is great for our future.

- Tanev: Still solid and deserves to play in the top 4 right now.

- Garrison: He hasn't had the summer and only a handful of games to get used to a new system, players and coach. He hit a post so there is improvement from last games....

- Top 4 D: I can't see them playing any worse... they can only improve. I don't think I'm the only one who is confident with their abilities to bounce back.... How good is our D gonna be with the top 4 back and Ballard/Tanev on the 3rd!

- PP: We need to make adjustments.... but we did hit two posts.

- Posts: We hit 5 of them....just mm away from a goal and a much different result. Had the early ones gone in, well, any of them could have been the momentum changer... Best thing is that all 5 shots that hit the post were from 5 different players! That's pretty balanced scoring (one tear)...... had they gone in.

- AV: Last few years, I was on the 'Fire AV' wagon....than over the summers, my short-term memory deceives me and I forget all about AV's faults and I climbed back on the fence. I kept thinking that he 'had' to learn from his mistakes....how couldn't he?

The only issue I really have is with the coaching. The one thing that bugs me the most.... How can you let the team sit back and play a defensive game when you have a 1 or 2 goal lead? In todays NHL, a 2 goal lead means nothing.... EVERYONE cheering for the Nucks knows this! How can AV not see this!

Speaking about AV:

- How can someone not learn from their mistakes when it's so obvious?

- How can someone be so stubborn with their decision making when the results don't favor him?

- I thought Schroeds played well....how come I didn't see much of him in the latter parts of the game? He could have skated the puck out of our zone, he's in mid-season form and he hasn't been a liability.

- Why does AV make the same roster mistakes?

- Why does AV give leeway to some players and nothing to others?

- Why does AV keep going with O/D lines that don't work and only decide to switch it up when he has to?

- and why does AV keep going back to the same lines the following game?

- How come AV turns mute during games when he should be spewing?

He's not a bad coach and there are worse in the league....but if a better coach happens to become available, I hope we nab him!

I agree the young players are good because their already in mid-season form....but that's not the sole reason. Schroeds has spent 4 years, since we drafted him, to get to where he is today and Kass started the year in great shape to make the lineup (he lost a lot of weight and dedicated himself over the summer for this). They also worked hard.

Sitting back and playing a defensive game - If this was the first time it happened than I wouldn't have commented. This has been going on for years! AV is the coach, so if he wants them to play defensive, he allows it and vice versa. You also mentioned the tired legs.... Schroeds didn't look tired so how come we didn't see much of him in the third?

O/D lines - (offensive) (a) Lets bring up somebody to replace Weise, we have plenty of players on the Wolves who could play on the 4th...Archie deserves another shot (b ) give Schroeds a chance on the second with 2 wingers. I guess it has to do with priorities or favorites - I remember everyone loving the 3rd line last year and I was one of the few who wanted the Amex line back. Don't know why you want a great 3rd line and a mediocre 2nd?

(defensive) (a) Edlers not hacking it on the right....switching sides with Garrison is worth a try (b ) Garrison and Ballard played before, try giving them a try ( c ) Edler and Tanev would make another intriguing pairing (d) split Garrison and Edler during the PP. I think Hammer/Bieksa will be fine...they've proven themselves.

AV turns mute - I addressed this in another reply to Goalie13. AV needs to inspire or motivate the players instead of hoping that the boys do it themselves. As a player, professional or not, sometimes you have so many distractions from the opposition, officiating, fanbase, media, or just playing your 'role' that you lose focus on the big picture....this is where the coach needs to step in and make sure that the team is focused and on the same page. And when a guy like Kes is not playing... AV needs to step up.

Better Coach - You need to take a breather here! or a pill... Read the last line of my post, "He's not a bad coach and there are worse in the league....but if a better coach happens to become available, I hope we nab him!"

Furthermore, I don't think we need a coach who has been to the Finals or won the Cup.... I just think AV is too stubborn to change and we need a coach who is capable of adapting. Someone who can inspire a great veteran team that extra little 'inch' to put them over the top....

All i know is, the coaches of those cup winning teams WL Canuck listed sure get more out of their players than AV does. They are also almost all very aggressive and known for shaking things up and pushing the right buttons. AV, with the exception of the cup run, has rarely had this team out working teams and playing with character.

I really do like AV, he's a funny guy. But I want a coach who will have this team hustling on every single shift and doesn't play favorites.

Archived