#31 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

AV needs to go.
He already admits that he doesn't say anything to the guys in the locker room and that he leaves it to them.
Obviously he's been here to long and leaves it to the team.
They need a coach who will coach not rely on the teams talent and same old plays.
Even the fans watching at home can tell teams how to play against the Nucks.

These are all professional athletes who have been playing the game their entire lives. They have been coached and coached and coached and by this point have demonstrated that they are better hockey players then 99% of the human race. They don't need 'coaching' on their fundamentals. They have that down. The only reason the team even needs a coach is because they need someone to develop a system or style for the team and maybe make a few inspirational/ motivational speeches from time to time. What they don't need is somebody who is going to nag them on the bench for every missed assignment and bad give-away. They know they screwed up, they don't need AV yelling at them to make them aware of it.

Edited by CptCanuck16, 29 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#32 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Who is your better coach? Com on now, who? Course, you prolly have a "magic" coach who has never won a cup, but you feel has a miracle cure for our team that AV is too blind to see, but you see it, and your coach see it. Now, come on, name the coach, and tell me why he is better, how many times he has been the the Finals, and how many cups he has won, and why he would walk away from the team he is coaching. It is easy to criticize, much harder to come up with a solution.

Scotty Bowman. Winningest Coach ever. Over 1,200 regular season wins, 9 Stanley Cups.

#33 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's not AV's fault, the boys need to put the puck in the net

Of course the boys need to put the puck in the net...but AV is making the line ups. Schroeds is a rookie and he's making Mayray look good, why don't we give Schroeds another option on the wing? Someone who can make Schroeds look good.

#34 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

nope coachs fine hes just having bad days hell be better think who got us to playoffs every yr

I'm not saying he's a bad coach....and there aren't many options out there so I prefer to keep him for now. But, if one becomes available....I think AV's gotta go.

Sure, AV's got us to the playoffs every year.....but not many coaches wouldn't have considering the roster and the division we're in.

#35 PuckProphet

PuckProphet

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm not saying he's a bad coach....and there aren't many options out there so I prefer to keep him for now. But, if one becomes available....I think AV's gotta go.

Sure, AV's got us to the playoffs every year.....but not many coaches wouldn't have considering the roster and the division we're in.

He runs on emotion ,heart,and being one of the guys Without knowing him i would think he tries to convince his players instead of telling them What bothers me is his making excuses and saying things are going to be ok...Its ok to be in a panic without panicing the players People respect that..
You guys are about rallying cries and devotion to your team and each other. AV needs to show that luv not getting mean but get desperate to win
Do you guys have a sense of tradition ...Use it ...

Edited by PuckProphet, 29 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#36 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Lets respond to some of this.

Firstly, the young players are playing good because their season opened earlier (Chicago) and so they are in game shape. The vets are suffering from the delayed season start.

I skipped down a bit, but you are talking about "sitting back playing a defensive game". Thats not what the coach wanted, that is what tired players who played the night before were capable of versus a team rested and pushing desperately in the third period. You make it seem like AV told them to hang back, as opposed to their tired legs forcing them to hang back.

What are AV's roster mistakes? Who did you want out there last night that wasn't out there? Kes? Booth? Injured. Jason Arnott, who we didn't sign? He didn't pass physical with the Rangers. Anyway, who? What was the mistake, not playing Alberts?

What O/D line do you mean? Are you suggesting "mad scramble" and playing KB3/Eddie, Hammer/Ballie, Garrison/Tanev? Course, we've never seen that, except KB3/Eddie, which sucks BTW, so what were you looking for? And Offensive lines, I have no idea what you are talking about. Suggest better.

AV turns mute. So you think spewing changes a refs mind? Like Tortorella, or McLellan? It has cause and effect when a GM says it to a reporter. BUT, it always comes with a price. Fine, etc. So, use sparingly.

Who is your better coach? Com on now, who? Course, you prolly have a "magic" coach who has never won a cup, but you feel has a miracle cure for our team that AV is too blind to see, but you see it, and your coach see it. Now, come on, name the coach, and tell me why he is better, how many times he has been the the Finals, and how many cups he has won, and why he would walk away from the team he is coaching. It is easy to criticize, much harder to come up with a solution.

I agree the young players are good because their already in mid-season form....but that's not the sole reason. Schroeds has spent 4 years, since we drafted him, to get to where he is today and Kass started the year in great shape to make the lineup (he lost a lot of weight and dedicated himself over the summer for this). They also worked hard.

Sitting back and playing a defensive game - If this was the first time it happened than I wouldn't have commented. This has been going on for years! AV is the coach, so if he wants them to play defensive, he allows it and vice versa. You also mentioned the tired legs.... Schroeds didn't look tired so how come we didn't see much of him in the third?

O/D lines - (offensive) (a) Lets bring up somebody to replace Weise, we have plenty of players on the Wolves who could play on the 4th...Archie deserves another shot (b ) give Schroeds a chance on the second with 2 wingers. I guess it has to do with priorities or favorites - I remember everyone loving the 3rd line last year and I was one of the few who wanted the Amex line back. Don't know why you want a great 3rd line and a mediocre 2nd?

(defensive) (a) Edlers not hacking it on the right....switching sides with Garrison is worth a try (b ) Garrison and Ballard played before, try giving them a try ( c ) Edler and Tanev would make another intriguing pairing (d) split Garrison and Edler during the PP. I think Hammer/Bieksa will be fine...they've proven themselves.

AV turns mute - I addressed this in another reply to Goalie13. AV needs to inspire or motivate the players instead of hoping that the boys do it themselves. As a player, professional or not, sometimes you have so many distractions from the opposition, officiating, fanbase, media, or just playing your 'role' that you lose focus on the big picture....this is where the coach needs to step in and make sure that the team is focused and on the same page. And when a guy like Kes is not playing... AV needs to step up.

Better Coach - You need to take a breather here! or a pill... Read the last line of my post, "He's not a bad coach and there are worse in the league....but if a better coach happens to become available, I hope we nab him!"

Furthermore, I don't think we need a coach who has been to the Finals or won the Cup.... I just think AV is too stubborn to change and we need a coach who is capable of adapting. Someone who can inspire a great veteran team that extra little 'inch' to put them over the top....

Edited by nuck luck, 29 January 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#37 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Raymond has no goals? Are you talking about just last night? Because Raymond is one of our leading goal scorers...

I was talking about the last game...

I think OP meant even though Raymond didn't score last night, he's still playing just as good.

I'm going to give AV the next 10 games and if he's still making decisions that baffle me, then I will truly believe we need a new coach.

Thank you.

#38 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Nice that you make this thread after a tired team loses to a very good team and AV uses his timeout near the end of the second period to try and help out his players. You have no idea what his actual interactions are like with the team apart from interviews and when you see him behind the bench.

I'm good with you having an opinion, but try to think things through a little and maybe even put it in one of the other threads where people are rating the Canucks, talking about the game last night, or ranting about the coaching.

I know AV used his timeout in the LA game....seems like it took him a few games to realize he had the option though? Seriously, I was screaming for him to use it....Like I did in previous games and my jaw dropped when he actually did.

This was not just spurted out immediately after the game....

Please let the mods do their job.... I replied to your comment on another thread, "Lou being....calm":

"Previously, I enjoyed your comments or thoughts on the Canucks.... we might not have agreed, but still enjoyed them. However, all your replies recently are similar to the above? *** regards to funneling the threads***

There might be a post like this in the Luongo discussion thread but if you haven't followed it....who has the time to read it all? And there are some posts buried in threads that deserve a discussion on its own, especially if it is relevant to a current event.

If everyone took the rules literally, we would only have players threads, GD threads and PG threads. There would be too much reading involved, chaos and less chatter on CDC. If we're stuck to a minimum amount of threads....and CDC is forced to discuss various topics in one thread, I'd have to read through hundreds of posts to find someone's reply to my discussion.

Not only that, it would get too confusing reading someone's post about Lou and his contract, Lou and his trade value, Lou as a back up, keeping Lou, trading Lou, Lou's twitter, Lou & Schneids, Schneids & Lou, Lou's trade value, Lou being calm, Lou and the NTC, Lou and the buyout, Lou in the top 10, Lou's history with Vancouver, what we traded to get Lou, what the team plays like in front of Lou, Lou and the playoffs, Lou and the regular season..... need I say more? And I've got to read all the replies to these and more topics before I find a reply to the topic I'm interested about.

Who has the time? Just let the mods do their job...

#39 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

He runs on emotion ,heart,and being one of the guys Without knowing him i would think he tries to convince his players instead of telling them What bothers me is his making excuses and saying things are going to be ok...Its ok to be in a panic without panicing the players People respect that..
You guys are about rallying cries and devotion to your team and each other. AV needs to show that luv not getting mean but get desperate to win
Do you guys have a sense of tradition ...Use it ...

Sure, not all coaches use the same MO. But, whatever AV is using is not working or the team is tuning him out... so he needs a new approach.

#40 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

• Third period agains LA he has them nurse a 1 goal lead while giving Tanev, who was arguably their best D man only 5 shifts.
  • He sits the Sedins to protect the lead while he double shifts Hansen, HIggins, Burrows who play 3 shifts in 2:13 near the end of the period. On their 3rd shift, they can't clear on 2 attempts and LA scores. What a surprise...they were gassed!
  • In OT, he benches Kassian who is the leading scorer and the only one creating chances.
  • Schroeder, who has not been a defensive liability and was one of our best faceoff guys sits from the second period on.
  • Is this how you manage a team that is playing their third game in 4 nights in a statement game. No wonder AV has chased players out of Vancouver. Tanev will want out if his great start this year is rewarded this way. Who else?
AV needs to go.

#41 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Gotta say: I'm just tired of watching the Canucks trying to nurse a two goal lead. That's the one thing... At the 12min mark of the second they stared with the old dump and chase; play D routine, And heck yes, I put that on AV and AV alone. Same old boring, predictable BS with a small lead: no attack, no speed. I can cut the team a bit of slack because they played 3 games in 4 days and were probably pretty damn tired.... But we're half way through the fricken game man and AV should be driving his team harder at that point.

I fully expect to see this crap over and over again. LAME AND BORING

#42 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Bring the crow back!

#43 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Link: This year's slow start isn't as bad as most for Canucks

See, they're going in the right direction.... :)

#44 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Another coach thread.

The "coaching problems" in this thread are mostly a non issue. And its really boring.

My only grievance with coaching is the center position. I hope they reexamine it thru the 3 lines behind the Twins.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#45 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

One goalie has to go and everyone knows it. Until one does get moved the team will be lacking what they need and these questions keep getting asked.

Eventually one goalie will stand above the other or a good deal will be offered and we can put this all to rest.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#46 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

It is often said about leadership, that by the time you have to yell and scream, you've already lost control. Just because he isn't blowing up on the bench doesn't mean he isn't communicating with the players. Plus, we never know what he is saying behind closed doors.

Sure we do. Just ask AV. He repeatedly says he does not talk to the players.....

#47 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Could the team really play any worse under a new coach? I mean, if not being able to find anyone better is the argument......The team has tuned him out and looks like a bunch of guys scared not to lose so they don't actually play aggressively to win. They play scared.

#48 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Scotty Bowman. Winningest Coach ever. Over 1,200 regular season wins, 9 Stanley Cups.

Maybe we can also bring Gretzky and Orr out of retirement.

#49 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Ive supported AV for a long time, but anyone defending him is delusional.

He clearly needs to go, this team needs a fire under there arse. Coaching changes are usually beneficial for struggling teams.

Back in 09 when the Penguins fired Therrien they brought in Dan Bylsma. And everyone said at the same time "WHO'S DAN BYLSMA!?!?" And he went on to win a cup after Therrien took them to the finals and lost the year before.

So that little history lesson should negate any rant about how theres no one else to take over his job.... SURE THERE IS WE JUST HAVEN'T HEARD OF HIM YET!!

FIRE AV

Edited by frazzY, 30 January 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#50 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

If you're talking about making one change I think that would have to be swapping Garrison and Tanev on the D pairings.

Hamhuis - Bieksa (I think they're rounding out alright, Bieksa's got more jump back)
Ballard - Garrison should work well (skater, play maker, roamer - can also skate, booming shot, defensive oriented)
Edler - Tanev
(Edler's been producing gaffes pretty frequently, plus he needs to be fed the puck to hammer, just like what Ehrhoff did while he was here; Tanev's the passer and he can close opponents down with his stick in close)

Goaltending's fine, forwards will round into shape

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#51 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

If you're talking about making one change I think that would have to be swapping Garrison and Tanev on the D pairings.

Hamhuis - Bieksa (I think they're rounding out alright, Bieksa's got more jump back)
Ballard - Garrison should work well (skater, play maker, roamer - can also skate, booming shot, defensive oriented)
Edler - Tanev
(Edler's been producing gaffes pretty frequently, plus he needs to be fed the puck to hammer, just like what Ehrhoff did while he was here; Tanev's the passer and he can close opponents down with his stick in close)

Goaltending's fine, forwards will round into shape

I agree completely! However, I'd just like to see one game with Edler and Garrison on opposite sides.... We know Edler plays better on the left and maybe Garrison proves himself?If it doesn't work....switch the pairings.I think the rest of team is doing ok....considering. AV... I don't think there's anyone out there that would be better right now, unless Florida keeps tanking ;)

#52 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

When Booth and Kesler come back it will be a big help. I like Kassian with the sedin so when they come back I see the lines will be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-kesler-Raymond
Hansen-burrows-Higgins
Weise-malhotra-Lappiere

AV is a good coach but your right, if a coach does become available, for example Mike Babcock( not saying hes going to just using him as an example) AV will be fired and he will be hired.

Probably is the way it will look but I don't like it. How has Hank done on faceoffs, and |Burrows for that matter, if you don't start with the puck you expend more energy trying to get it, if it is not in the back of your net. Try putting young Schroeder in on the third line and put Higgins in Weises spot, then you have 3 above average faceoff men......don't like the idea of not winning faceoffs!

#53 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

I know it sucks that we lost....but at least we got a point out of it. This team (without 2/3's of the 2nd line) is still keeping us in playoff contention.

- Lou: Played amazing! He basically kept us in it and got us the point. I'm glad he's still a Canuck! After this shortened season and the playoffs start, we're gonna have the best tandem (and best rested) in the league.... and we all know the importance of this position come playoffs. Lous increasing his value and reminding people what his true value is, if he does get traded before the deadline than it's gonna be for something worthy....

- Kass: I'm getting his jersey.

- Schroeds: Earned a spot on the roster. Nice to see another prospect we drafted rise to the level....

- Burr: Might have found his scoring touch... looked good with Higgy.

- Higgy: Definite improvement and looks to be on his way back to form.

- Sedins: Playing a little more aggressive.... confidence is good.

- Hansen: Just needs to find his scoring touch and we're all good.

- Mayray: No goals, but hasn't digressed.

- Ballard: Looks great....( I mentioned this in a previous post ) we won't be able to afford his cap, so anything to improve his trade value is great for our future.

- Tanev: Still solid and deserves to play in the top 4 right now.

- Garrison: He hasn't had the summer and only a handful of games to get used to a new system, players and coach. He hit a post so there is improvement from last games....

- Top 4 D: I can't see them playing any worse... they can only improve. I don't think I'm the only one who is confident with their abilities to bounce back.... How good is our D gonna be with the top 4 back and Ballard/Tanev on the 3rd!

- PP: We need to make adjustments.... but we did hit two posts.

- Posts: We hit 5 of them....just mm away from a goal and a much different result. Had the early ones gone in, well, any of them could have been the momentum changer... Best thing is that all 5 shots that hit the post were from 5 different players! That's pretty balanced scoring (one tear)...... had they gone in.

- AV: Last few years, I was on the 'Fire AV' wagon....than over the summers, my short-term memory deceives me and I forget all about AV's faults and I climbed back on the fence. I kept thinking that he 'had' to learn from his mistakes....how couldn't he?

The only issue I really have is with the coaching. The one thing that bugs me the most.... How can you let the team sit back and play a defensive game when you have a 1 or 2 goal lead? In todays NHL, a 2 goal lead means nothing.... EVERYONE cheering for the Nucks knows this! How can AV not see this!

Speaking about AV:

- How can someone not learn from their mistakes when it's so obvious?

- How can someone be so stubborn with their decision making when the results don't favor him?

- I thought Schroeds played well....how come I didn't see much of him in the latter parts of the game? He could have skated the puck out of our zone, he's in mid-season form and he hasn't been a liability.

- Why does AV make the same roster mistakes?

- Why does AV give leeway to some players and nothing to others?

- Why does AV keep going with O/D lines that don't work and only decide to switch it up when he has to?

- and why does AV keep going back to the same lines the following game?

- How come AV turns mute during games when he should be spewing?

He's not a bad coach and there are worse in the league....but if a better coach happens to become available, I hope we nab him!

Sounds good to me, I personally couldn't believe they resigned him. The power play hasn't been good since the San Jose Playoffs series.

Definition of insanity to continue to do the same thing and expect different results.
Posted Image

#54 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Sure, not all coaches use the same MO. But, whatever AV is using is not working or the team is tuning him out... so he needs a new approach.

Pretty much the exact same thing that was said last year when the Canucks went through a rough patch...and the year before that...and the year before that....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#55 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Another coach thread.

The "coaching problems" in this thread are mostly a non issue. And its really boring.

My only grievance with coaching is the center position. I hope they reexamine it thru the 3 lines behind the Twins.

Yeah.. seems like a lot of cryers on CDC lately, player or coatch cant pick his nose without someone bitching about it.

#56 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Yeah.. seems like a lot of cryers on CDC lately, player or coatch cant pick his nose without someone bitching about it.

Funny thing is, the title of the thread starts with "Too soon to panic"...

...but you'd never know it, judging by most of the posts...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#57 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

funny, but hard to take serious. He's 79

My comment was looking for something more realistic.
Sig too big.

#58 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I agree the young players are good because their already in mid-season form....but that's not the sole reason. Schroeds has spent 4 years, since we drafted him, to get to where he is today and Kass started the year in great shape to make the lineup (he lost a lot of weight and dedicated himself over the summer for this). They also worked hard.

Sitting back and playing a defensive game - If this was the first time it happened than I wouldn't have commented. This has been going on for years! AV is the coach, so if he wants them to play defensive, he allows it and vice versa. You also mentioned the tired legs.... Schroeds didn't look tired so how come we didn't see much of him in the third?

O/D lines - (offensive) (a) Lets bring up somebody to replace Weise, we have plenty of players on the Wolves who could play on the 4th...Archie deserves another shot (b ) give Schroeds a chance on the second with 2 wingers. I guess it has to do with priorities or favorites - I remember everyone loving the 3rd line last year and I was one of the few who wanted the Amex line back. Don't know why you want a great 3rd line and a mediocre 2nd?

(defensive) (a) Edlers not hacking it on the right....switching sides with Garrison is worth a try (b ) Garrison and Ballard played before, try giving them a try ( c ) Edler and Tanev would make another intriguing pairing (d) split Garrison and Edler during the PP. I think Hammer/Bieksa will be fine...they've proven themselves.

AV turns mute - I addressed this in another reply to Goalie13. AV needs to inspire or motivate the players instead of hoping that the boys do it themselves. As a player, professional or not, sometimes you have so many distractions from the opposition, officiating, fanbase, media, or just playing your 'role' that you lose focus on the big picture....this is where the coach needs to step in and make sure that the team is focused and on the same page. And when a guy like Kes is not playing... AV needs to step up.

Better Coach - You need to take a breather here! or a pill... Read the last line of my post, "He's not a bad coach and there are worse in the league....but if a better coach happens to become available, I hope we nab him!"

Furthermore, I don't think we need a coach who has been to the Finals or won the Cup.... I just think AV is too stubborn to change and we need a coach who is capable of adapting. Someone who can inspire a great veteran team that extra little 'inch' to put them over the top....

You said it wasn't the sole reason, but it is a huge part of the reason. Outside of some small exceptions, none of our guys played in Europe, but Kass, Schroeds, Ebbett played 20+ games ate the AHL level. I tend to think it was huge. Practice is simply not the same as a game. No one makes a hit, and consequently no one takes a hit in practice like in a game. Fights, almost non existent. Now, I never played pro hockey, but I did compete at an amateur level in a sport. Practice is never the same as the real thing. It takes a while for the body to condition itself to all kinds of things, pain tolerance, exertion levels, etc, and practice never cuts it because, bottom line, practice doesn't count. (Sorry, long answer for a simple point)

It may have been going on for years, but we won two presidents trophies, and more importantly, got to game 7 of the cup finals. To address his strategy and say it is bad when the record shows otherwise is arm chair gm/coaching at it's finest.

Your lines, you said lets bring up somebody to replace Weise, and then said we have players who could play the 4th line. Weise is currently on the second. Now, I read the Schroeds comment, but if Schroeds cant cut it on the second line, you now have Malholtra, Lapierre, Volpattie, or your call up - Darren Archibald, on the second. Not a good scenario.
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Volpatti Malholtra Lappierre.
Who do you slide up if not Schroeder? (Remember my thoughts were if Schroeds doesn't cut it, second line disaster)
Bottom line, we need a 2/3 line center, and we don't have one in the wings.

I agree, Edler and Garrison could try switching sides. Edler worries me enough right now, I cringe at him and Tanev. I like Tanev, very much, but depending on him to bail out Eddie worries me. Ballard Garrison has promise, but then it's Tanev Eddie, unless.
Edler Hamhuis
Bieksa Tanev
Ballard Garrison
BUT, without a look, this could be more disastrous then leaving pairings/lines together. I am against the mix and match idea, Coach V used that when he first came, and then seemed to settle into lines/pairs, and the results were good. Built chemistry and consistency.

I got passionate about the coaching change for two reasons. One, we have a winning record that we have not had in a long time, and that record has a lot to do with the coach we have. I hear you, we need to get 1 game past game 7 of the SCF, but I think we need a tweek, and may have it when Booth and Kes are healthy.
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Booth
Higgins Burrows Hansen
Volpatti Malholtra Lapiere
Plus Schroeder, Weise, Ebbett
Two. Good coaches are tough to find. A ton of times the suggestion is sent out, find a new coach. Next thing, someone is saying MG sucks because he cant get Babcock or Trotz or Ruff. The suggestion comes across like "Weise and a first round pick for Malkin". Good coaches are hard to find, great coaches are nearly impossible to find.

Your saying we need a coach to inspire, but our record shows he does inspire. I truly believe we have been outmuscled 4 years in a row. The game changed, the game is not about pure skill, it is a game of skill and "truculence". We are rebuilding on the Detroit model, which I agree with, and Detroit did win the cup in 07-08, but look at the teams that have won outside them.
06-07 Ducks - big bruising team
07-08 Detroit - not known for size particularly.
08-09 Penguins - good sized team, (dont think theyre gritty, go to hockeyfights.com).
09-10 Hawks - big team, Big Byfuglien
10-11 Bruins - big team
11-12 Kings - big team again.
We need size. I like Kass, I look forward to Gaunce, Vandermeer interests me, not because I like it as much as because i think it is the way the game is now played.

Last game, LA began to hammer us with size, and it worked.
Sig too big.

#59 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

All i know is, the coaches of those cup winning teams WL Canuck listed sure get more out of their players than AV does. They are also almost all very aggressive and known for shaking things up and pushing the right buttons. AV, with the exception of the cup run, has rarely had this team out working teams and playing with character.

I really do like AV, he's a funny guy. But I want a coach who will have this team hustling on every single shift and doesn't play favorites.

Edited by Kulikov, 30 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.