The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goalie's Goals Against Average Stats.

MonkeyBusiness

Hi,

I am not a stat person and only have ever followed the team, because I love them. So please don't burn me for trying to understand stats now.

I was looking at the Goalie leader board on NHL.com and was trying to figure out how all the stats worked.

For example the GAA but not excluding all the others. I have only watched Canucks games so I can only comment what I have seen our Goalies do.

Lu has a GAA of 2.21 but from the games I have seen he has not let in more than 2. So how are they coming up with 2.21? Are they factoring in the shootout goals as well? If so, then shouldn't that number be higher?

Anyway please be kind and explain how the stats work.

Go Canucks Go!

GAA is base on 60 minutes not 1 game.

Therefore when Schneider let 5 goals in in 30 minutes or so and is pulled, his GAA is 10ish.

Just like in baseball ERA is base on 9 innings and not 1 game. Therefore a pitcher who plays 7 innings and let in 1 pt, his ERA will be 1.29.

GAA is calculated based on full games played. In the first game of the season Lu replaced Schneider and played the remaining 33 minutes of the game. He let in 2 goals in that time. Based on roughly half a game played, he would have a GAA of about 4 for that game. That's why his overall GAA is more than 2 without ever having let in more than two.

As for the other part of the question, shootout stats do not count. A goalie can lose a shootout and still register a shutout in a game if the game went to the shootout tied 0-0.

I believe OT stats count, while shootout stats do not.

So if a goalie let in 1 goal on a game that went to shootout, his GAA would be 0.926.

Luongo has played 163 minutes and has let in 6 goals. 163 minute divided by 60 minutes per game = 2.72 games played. 6 goals divided by 2.72 games = Lu's 2.21 GAA.

I think it's the only one with that sort of complication.

Save percentage is easy. Shots faced vs shots saved.

Wins / losses can be a little funny. It's based on who is in net when the winning goal is scored. So if in the first game this year, the Canucks made a partial comeback and eventually lost 7-6, Lu would have been credited with the loss because he was in net when the winning goal went in. It doesn't matter that Schneider let in 5 before that.

The rest are pretty straight forward I think.

Which stats are you referring to

Wins: A goalie gets a win no matter which part of the game he won it in as long as he was in net for the Winning goal (ie: Regulation, Overtime, Shootout)

Losses: A goalie gets a loss if he looses in regulation, If the goalie gets a loss in Overtime or a Shootout it is considered an OT loss but not a regulation loss

Strange question:

If a goalie is pulled for an extra attacker on a delayed penalty like this (and hypothetically it's a 0-0 game), and a goal like this is scored, does he end up with a shutout? 0 GAA and no shutout? 1 GAA and no shutout?

Archived