#1 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

I am not a stat person and only have ever followed the team, because I love them. So please don't burn me for trying to understand stats now.

I was looking at the Goalie leader board on NHL.com and was trying to figure out how all the stats worked.

For example the GAA but not excluding all the others. I have only watched Canucks games so I can only comment what I have seen our Goalies do.

Lu has a GAA of 2.21 but from the games I have seen he has not let in more than 2. So how are they coming up with 2.21? Are they factoring in the shootout goals as well? If so, then shouldn't that number be higher?

Anyway please be kind and explain how the stats work.

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by MonkeyBusiness, 29 January 2013 - 12:11 PM.

Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:
http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/

#2 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Multiply the number of goals allowed by 60 and divide by the total number of minutes played.Example: If you allowed 4 goals in 180 minutes your GAA is 1.33 (4 times 60 = 240. 240 divided by 180 = 1.33). The result suggests that for every full game you play, you allow 1.33 goals.

http://proicehockey....oalie_stats.htm

#3 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

GAA is base on 60 minutes not 1 game.

Therefore when Schneider let 5 goals in in 30 minutes or so and is pulled, his GAA is 10ish.

Just like in baseball ERA is base on 9 innings and not 1 game. Therefore a pitcher who plays 7 innings and let in 1 pt, his ERA will be 1.29.

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

GAA is calculated based on full games played. In the first game of the season Lu replaced Schneider and played the remaining 33 minutes of the game. He let in 2 goals in that time. Based on roughly half a game played, he would have a GAA of about 4 for that game. That's why his overall GAA is more than 2 without ever having let in more than two.

As for the other part of the question, shootout stats do not count. A goalie can lose a shootout and still register a shutout in a game if the game went to the shootout tied 0-0.
Posted Image

#5 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Like what was said above

He has played 2.5 games not 2

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#6 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I think I get what you guys are saying. So going into overtime isn't included? So if a team goes into overtime and they play the full five mins/more in the playoffs that does not change the formula?
Posted Image

Love the Canucks!

#7 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Overtime counts in S% and GAA but the shootout doesn't

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

#8 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I believe OT stats count, while shootout stats do not.

So if a goalie let in 1 goal on a game that went to shootout, his GAA would be 0.926.

Luongo has played 163 minutes and has let in 6 goals. 163 minute divided by 60 minutes per game = 2.72 games played. 6 goals divided by 2.72 games = Lu's 2.21 GAA.
Posted Image

#9 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think I understand the GAA now. What about the rest of the stats?
Posted Image

Love the Canucks!

#10 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think it's the only one with that sort of complication.

Save percentage is easy. Shots faced vs shots saved.

Wins / losses can be a little funny. It's based on who is in net when the winning goal is scored. So if in the first game this year, the Canucks made a partial comeback and eventually lost 7-6, Lu would have been credited with the loss because he was in net when the winning goal went in. It doesn't matter that Schneider let in 5 before that.

The rest are pretty straight forward I think.
Posted Image

#11 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Which stats are you referring to

Wins: A goalie gets a win no matter which part of the game he won it in as long as he was in net for the Winning goal (ie: Regulation, Overtime, Shootout)

Losses: A goalie gets a loss if he looses in regulation, If the goalie gets a loss in Overtime or a Shootout it is considered an OT loss but not a regulation loss

Edited by *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*, 29 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

#12 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I guess they count the time how much he have played on the ice . That's wht I'm guessing
Forever Canuck !

#13 R.A Dickey

R.A Dickey

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

All minutes played. Ot counts. So if last night would have been like 1.88 gaa.

#14 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Also, factor in that Luongo took over for Schneider in Game 1 against Anaheim and allowed 2 goals so that will drive up his GAA a bit.

#15 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hey, great to see everybody being generous with their knowledge with a newbie - good-on-yah-all!

#16 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

The confusion comes up when you forget that it's divided by minutes played, not games played. So if Luongo replaced Schneider in a game (which he did) then he doesn't get credit for playing the whole game.

#17 youngbob_007

youngbob_007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Strange question:

If a goalie is pulled for an extra attacker on a delayed penalty like this (and hypothetically it's a 0-0 game), and a goal like this is scored, does he end up with a shutout? 0 GAA and no shutout? 1 GAA and no shutout?

#18 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Strange question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS6wL5Mr3Qg

If a goalie is pulled for an extra attacker on a delayed penalty like this (and hypothetically it's a 0-0 game), and a goal like this is scored, does he end up with a shutout? 0 GAA and no shutout? 1 GAA and no shutout?

SOB has to pay the tab at the Roxy.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#19 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

I think I get what you guys are saying. So going into overtime isn't included? So if a team goes into overtime and they play the full five mins/more in the playoffs that does not change the formula?

ovetime is included, in the playoffs they play full 20 minute overtimes, so say it ends with 5:00 left in the 2nd overtime and he's let in 2 goals for the game, the goalie has played an extra 35 minutes for that game so you would do 60+35 = 95

then take 95 divide it by 60 which = 1.583

then divide the goals by that number so 2/1.583 which = 1.26GAA for that game due to the extra time

Edited by Primus099, 30 January 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#20 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

Over time is included as those are minutes played. GAA is goals allowed per 60 minutes played. If a game doesn't go into over time it's obviously a 60 minute game. But if there were delayed penalties and the goalie gets to the bench, his time on the bench doesn't count as played as he's not on the ice. Same if he's pulled for an extra attacker at the end of a game. The goalie could have a game where he "played" 57 minutes but his GAA is still based on playing 60 minutes. Thus if he gave up 2 goals in his 57 minutes played his GAA would be 2.11. If he gave up 2 goals, the game went into over time, and he never went to the bench at all his GAA would be 1.85 for that game.

Goals x 60 / minutes played = GAA

Using my game examples above...
2 x 60 / 57 = 2.11

2 x 60 / 65 = 1.85

In both examples the goalie gave up 2 goals for the game. His GAA is different because of the number of minutes he actually played in those games. The GAA is goals allowed per 60 minutes of time on ice.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#21 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Thanks all!

I understand it now. Going into shootouts really help the goalies on there GAA. Although I must admit it is a strange formula and does not help goalies that win in 60 mins.
Posted Image

Love the Canucks!

#22 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hey all, I wanted thank you for explaining the GAA for me. I think used it pretty well in a post I replied to.

Thanks so much!
Posted Image

Love the Canucks!

#23 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't pay much attention to GAA anyway. Being on a team that has horrible defense and has 40 shots against each game will always spike a goalie's GAA, no matter how good he is.

When I'm assessing how good a goalie is playing, I pretty much solely look at save %. And even that can be skewed a little based on the quality of shots he has against him.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#24 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

If I am not mistaken, it's no goals against and no shutout.

The team got scored on even if the goalie didn't, so there is no shutout to award. The goalie wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored so he doesn't get charged with a goal against either.
Posted Image

#25 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Always bear in mind that the GAA is not always the best measure of a goalie's performance (esp. over short period of time) as the team might be giving up a lot of quality scoring chances (and of course, the opposite is true as well).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.