The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory's story

Herberts Vasiljevs

I find it disheartening to see a few people in this thread being incredibly judgmental and making rude comments about a topic of which they know nothing about. Gender Dysphoria and Gender Identity Disorder are not adult-only disorders. It often begins during childhood and in the past has only been addressed once that person becomes an adult and can take matters into their own hands because it was little understood by medical professionals. But with advances in medical science, the issue can now be addressed earlier. So, calling this "child abuse" is completely absurd. It's like expecting parents to wait until their children are fully grown before letting them wear glasses to correct their eyesight.

The wonderful piece Derek Jory wrote for Canucks.com was not meant to educate you on the complexities of this issue, it was to show how the Canucks organization is being inclusive and reaching out to ALL of their fans, and I vigorously applaud them for that! Unless you've experienced GID or know someone who has gone through it, you cannot possibly know what Cory and his parents went through with their doctors to determine the treatment they decided was right. I highly doubt it was a snap decision or based on the simple fact that "she liked Superman more than Barbie."

Imagine that you are the parent of a child with GID, would it be easy for you to say, "sure let's turn our daughter into a boy!" I doubt it, and I'm sure it was not easy for Cory's parents. And I'm pretty certain the doctors who assisted were extremely careful to make the right decisions about something as complex as this.

One of our writers on PuckBuddys was diagnosed with gender dysphoria years ago and is beginning the process of addressing that for the first time as an adult. She is also a big Canucks fan and wrote a piece published today sharing her own thoughts about Cory and Cory, and how what the Canucks did was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I suggest you read it:

Canucks Take You Can Play to a Whole New Level, and they do it Right!

It's already difficult enough for transgendered people in this world, there are even lots of gay and lesbian people that don't really understand it. But, just because you don't understand something or can't imagine what it must be like doesn't mean you have to condemn it or make baseless accusations.

Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged.

This is an odd story that belongs nowhere near the Canucks or the NHL. In fact, the Canucks organisation should be ashamed for using this kid's story as a fluff piece and to tout their "humanitarian" marketing agenda. What a load of crap. The Canucks don't care about Cory and his/her struggles through life. They're using it to make them look good and "forward thinking". Wow, he gets to stand next to Cory for 30 seconds. Whoop-di-do.

There are sooooo many more kids with much worse problems in our community than someone having a gender identity crisis. This fragile of a story does not belong in a marketing campaign for a hockey team. And posting on the internet just invites the swarms of trolls that probably make the kid upset (assuming he/she reads it).

This is an odd story that belongs nowhere near the Canucks or the NHL. In fact, the Canucks organisation should be ashamed for using this kid's story as a fluff piece and to tout their "humanitarian" marketing agenda. What a load of crap. The Canucks don't care about Cory and his/her struggles through life. They're using it to make them look good and "forward thinking". Wow, he gets to stand next to Cory for 30 seconds. Whoop-di-do.

There are sooooo many more kids with much worse problems in our community than someone having a gender identity crisis. This fragile of a story does not belong in a marketing campaign for a hockey team. And posting on the internet just invites the swarms of trolls that probably make the kid upset (assuming he/she reads it).

I find it disheartening to see a few people in this thread being incredibly judgmental and making rude comments about a topic of which they know nothing about. Gender Dysphoria and Gender Identity Disorder are not adult-only disorders. It often begins during childhood and in the past has only been addressed once that person becomes an adult and can take matters into their own hands because it was little understood by medical professionals. But with advances in medical science, the issue can now be addressed earlier. So, calling this "child abuse" is completely absurd. It's like expecting parents to wait until their children are fully grown before letting them wear glasses to correct their eyesight.

The wonderful piece Derek Jory wrote for Canucks.com was not meant to educate you on the complexities of this issue, it was to show how the Canucks organization is being inclusive and reaching out to ALL of their fans, and I vigorously applaud them for that! Unless you've experienced GID or know someone who has gone through it, you cannot possibly know what Cory and his parents went through with their doctors to determine the treatment they decided was right. I highly doubt it was a snap decision or based on the simple fact that "she liked Superman more than Barbie."

Imagine that you are the parent of a child with GID, would it be easy for you to say, "sure let's turn our daughter into a boy!" I doubt it, and I'm sure it was not easy for Cory's parents. And I'm pretty certain the doctors who assisted were extremely careful to make the right decisions about something as complex as this.

One of our writers on PuckBuddys was diagnosed with gender dysphoria years ago and is beginning the process of addressing that for the first time as an adult. She is also a big Canucks fan and wrote a piece published today sharing her own thoughts about Cory and Cory, and how what the Canucks did was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I suggest you read it:

It's already difficult enough for transgendered people in this world, there are even lots of gay and lesbian people that don't really understand it. But, just because you don't understand something or can't imagine what it must be like doesn't mean you have to condemn it or make baseless accusations.

Am i incorrect in saying that he didn't make the decision til he was 14 and a half, having lived with the blockers since age 9? Also if the criminal age of responsibility in Canada is 12, then why is 14 too young?

You should take the time to study your statement, "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged". As with most people, you seem to be applying it entirely out of context. (For reference, it is located at Mathew 7:1 but please read the entire chapter or even the entire book to get the proper perspective)

This is a sickening story as far as I am concerned. If there had been a life threatening illness, the hormone treatment would have been justified. What has happened to "be comfortable with who you are"? If this girl/boy (sorry I don't know what to call this transexual wannabe) wants to play hockey so bad, there are stars like Wickenheiser who play as graciously as any NHLer. Nowadays kids are so spoiled. If they want to be change their sex when they are in grade three, they are allowed to do what they want. Sometimes, kids need to just s*ck it up and do their work instead of wining.

The great Sir Winston Churchill once warned about perverted science. We are seeing truly perverted science in the 21st century now. IVF is now available to Octomoms and others with wicked sexual fetishes. Hormone therapy is now being abused. I would not have posted this reply had this story been not on the Canucks website.

I won't reply anymore in this threat.

what are you talking about? GayCanuck used that statement in perfect context befitting of his post. If the bible uses it in a different context so what? The bible is not applicable in this case as when it was written there was no such thing as hormone blockers and hormone replacement therapy. Its funny that you accuse him of taking a loose quote from the bible out of context, when you even mentioning the bible in reference to this thread is completely out of context and very irrelevant.

Archived