The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory's story

Herberts Vasiljevs

Short answer: You can't.

There is so much more to this than we are being told. Of course it just comes out as some feel good piece to which everyone must agree, or be labelled an insensitive, hating, bigoted, intolerant blowhard .... but feeding your child hormones at a critical stage of their development in an attempt to alter their gender?

If I'm the only one that sees this as CHILD ABUSE then so be it.

SHE could not have done so without HER mothers explicit consent. And the fact that she gave it is criminal.

Also, to the OP, the article mentions that SHE has yet to undergo any kind of surgery. Are you trying to tell us that you shared a locker room with a GIRL, who clearly has no PENIS... and nobody noticed?

Yeah right.

Hate on me if you want but there are a lot of people out there who agree with me in saying this is flat out child abuse.

Have to agree on the borderline child abuse statement. I'm curious about how there were no restrictions on the drugs given to the kid for the purpose of which they were intending. Obviously the hormonal drugs exist for medical reasons, but this wasn't really a medical issue and yet they simply doled out the drugs to a 9 year old kid..

Have to agree on the borderline child abuse statement. I'm curious about how there were no restrictions on the drugs given to the kid for the purpose of which they were intending. Obviously the hormonal drugs exist for medical reasons, but this wasn't really a medical issue and yet they simply doled out the drugs to a 9 year old kid..

So you are qualified to determine what is and what isn't a medical issue? I'm curious if someone you loved was to live a life of mental stress (possibly anguish) and social anxiety and it could be effectively treated with medication, would you deprive them of that even if they were a child?

Just want to point out that y'all appear to be on the verge of getting into an argument over a very complicated subject, based mostly on a fluff piece on canucks.com that actually ends with the sentence "It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Cory." (seriously).

If you're going to argue it, base it off something more substantial than this garbage, because it's a very interesting topic that deserves better.

So you are qualified to determine what is and what isn't a medical issue? I'm curious if someone you loved was to live a life of mental stress (possibly anguish) and social anxiety and it could be effectively treated with medication, would you deprive them of that even if they were a child?

I'm sorry for all you people that think or agree with the statement that this is Child abuse, you are flat out wrong! Unless you intimately know more details than what the story offers and you are qualified to make such medical determinations (which I highly doubt anyone who has posted so far is) then you should be ashamed for posting such slanderous garbage!

If those two things do not apply to you, think for a minute what if Cory were to read this thread and see what you are writing about his parents, who I am inclined to believe love Cory more than anything in this world and only want was best for him. I guarantee they didn't take lightly the decision to give their child medication, and I am sure that decision was only made after consultation (probably many consultations) with medical professionals.

A 9 year old is, without a doubt, incapable of making a permanent life altering decision like this about themselves. If you think they are you're off your rocker.

And yes, I would absolutely deny a 9 year old child of being medicated simply because they're stressed. Are you kidding me? My 9 year old niece was so stressed that she didn't get to go to Disneyland last summer, maybe we should have put her on medication! I don't need to be a doctor to know that choosing hot wheels over barbies is not a medical issue.

Just want to point out that y'all appear to be on the verge of getting into an argument over a very complicated subject, based mostly on a fluff piece on canucks.com that actually ends with the sentence "It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Cory." (seriously).

If you're going to argue it, base it off something more substantial than this garbage, because it's a very interesting topic that deserves better.

As a straight, white male, I can't claim to understand exactly what Cory has gone through. What I do understand is that it takes a great deal of strength to share your story in a public setting. I think it's great on him and hope that his current and future team mates keep giving him the support he needs.

On another note, child abuse? I'm sure they consulted medical professionals beforehand. I worked with transgendered men before, and I've served with one recently. Whatever they used to be on the outside, they're men on the inside...probably more so than I am. If Cory was set in his path and "wired that way," it might have been more traumatic to spend a decade as a woman. I'd hold off on criticizing the parents, or their son without the full story, whether you agree with it or not.

Let's get real here: for all of the moaning by the "how can they knowwww??" crowd, the number of transitioners who express regret at having transitioned is very low, and for those who knew and started transitioning at as young an age as Cory, it's practically non-existent.

You say "but how can a nine-year old know" because YOU can't imagine knowing something like that because it isn't part of who you are, but plenty of LGBT people of all stripes report having "known" all their lives.

I played my last year of Midget hockey last year and I can tell you that if a player on the team didn't have a penis, someone would notice. It sounds bad, but be it through showering, swimming at a hotel during an away tournament or just changing in general it seems strange that no one would notice.

A 9 year old is, without a doubt, incapable of making a permanent life altering decision like this about themselves. If you think they are you're off your rocker.

And yes, I would absolutely deny a 9 year old child of being medicated simply because they're stressed. Are you kidding me? My 9 year old niece was so stressed that she didn't get to go to Disneyland last summer, maybe we should have put her on medication! I don't need to be a doctor to know that choosing hot wheels over barbies is not a medical issue.

Damn CDC! Clearly there is more to it than superman underwear. Kids aren't unaware idiots like they used to be they can make decisions on their own. I'm pretty sure the parent were against it but felt that their kid HAPPINESS was more important than how they felt.

I find it disheartening to see a few people in this thread being incredibly judgmental and making rude comments about a topic of which they know nothing about. Gender Dysphoria and Gender Identity Disorder are not adult-only disorders. It often begins during childhood and in the past has only been addressed once that person becomes an adult and can take matters into their own hands because it was little understood by medical professionals. But with advances in medical science, the issue can now be addressed earlier. So, calling this "child abuse" is completely absurd. It's like expecting parents to wait until their children are fully grown before letting them wear glasses to correct their eyesight.

The wonderful piece Derek Jory wrote for Canucks.com was not meant to educate you on the complexities of this issue, it was to show how the Canucks organization is being inclusive and reaching out to ALL of their fans, and I vigorously applaud them for that! Unless you've experienced GID or know someone who has gone through it, you cannot possibly know what Cory and his parents went through with their doctors to determine the treatment they decided was right. I highly doubt it was a snap decision or based on the simple fact that "she liked Superman more than Barbie."

Imagine that you are the parent of a child with GID, would it be easy for you to say, "sure let's turn our daughter into a boy!" I doubt it, and I'm sure it was not easy for Cory's parents. And I'm pretty certain the doctors who assisted were extremely careful to make the right decisions about something as complex as this.

One of our writers on PuckBuddys was diagnosed with gender dysphoria years ago and is beginning the process of addressing that for the first time as an adult. She is also a big Canucks fan and wrote a piece published today sharing her own thoughts about Cory and Cory, and how what the Canucks did was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I suggest you read it:

Canucks Take You Can Play to a Whole New Level, and they do it Right!

It's already difficult enough for transgendered people in this world, there are even lots of gay and lesbian people that don't really understand it. But, just because you don't understand something or can't imagine what it must be like doesn't mean you have to condemn it or make baseless accusations.

Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged.

People who see this and think, "wow, that is messed up, and just, against the natural order of things." are sort of today's white people.

You know how if a white person makes even a slightly questionable statement against African Americans, they're often painted as ignorant and racist? Well, now, if people who are against things like this (or homosexuals or transgenders or whatever that is a minority), the person who shows disapproval is criticized, insulted, called "ignorant", and is assumed to lack morals or social skills.

:picard: Please define morals for me. It is created by a society to determine what may be accepted and what is not. The same morals may be unacceptable in another society. I don't understand why one can be so up front and public about changing their sex even if it bothers some people, while those people cannot express their disapproval without being hated on.

P.S. 60 years ago this kind of talk doesn't even exist. That family would have been removed from the gene pool.

P.P.S. Still took balls (pun not intended) to make that story public. Whether or not someone calls you out, it can be an embarrassing story.

I find it disheartening to see a few people in this thread being incredibly judgmental and making rude comments about a topic of which they know nothing about. Gender Dysphoria and Gender Identity Disorder are not adult-only disorders. It often begins during childhood and in the past has only been addressed once that person becomes an adult and can take matters into their own hands because it was little understood by medical professionals. But with advances in medical science, the issue can now be addressed earlier. So, calling this "child abuse" is completely absurd. It's like expecting parents to wait until their children are fully grown before letting them wear glasses to correct their eyesight.

The wonderful piece Derek Jory wrote for Canucks.com was not meant to educate you on the complexities of this issue, it was to show how the Canucks organization is being inclusive and reaching out to ALL of their fans, and I vigorously applaud them for that! Unless you've experienced GID or know someone who has gone through it, you cannot possibly know what Cory and his parents went through with their doctors to determine the treatment they decided was right. I highly doubt it was a snap decision or based on the simple fact that "she liked Superman more than Barbie."

Imagine that you are the parent of a child with GID, would it be easy for you to say, "sure let's turn our daughter into a boy!" I doubt it, and I'm sure it was not easy for Cory's parents. And I'm pretty certain the doctors who assisted were extremely careful to make the right decisions about something as complex as this.

One of our writers on PuckBuddys was diagnosed with gender dysphoria years ago and is beginning the process of addressing that for the first time as an adult. She is also a big Canucks fan and wrote a piece published today sharing her own thoughts about Cory and Cory, and how what the Canucks did was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I suggest you read it:

Canucks Take You Can Play to a Whole New Level, and they do it Right!

It's already difficult enough for transgendered people in this world, there are even lots of gay and lesbian people that don't really understand it. But, just because you don't understand something or can't imagine what it must be like doesn't mean you have to condemn it or make baseless accusations.

Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged.

Archived