:sick: :( :mad: :angry: :frantic: :emot-parrot: :sadno: :picard:

#32 KingstonCanuck

KingstonCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

As a straight, white male, I can't claim to understand exactly what Cory has gone through. What I do understand is that it takes a great deal of strength to share your story in a public setting. I think it's great on him and hope that his current and future team mates keep giving him the support he needs.

On another note, child abuse? I'm sure they consulted medical professionals beforehand. I worked with transgendered men before, and I've served with one recently. Whatever they used to be on the outside, they're men on the inside...probably more so than I am. If Cory was set in his path and "wired that way," it might have been more traumatic to spend a decade as a woman. I'd hold off on criticizing the parents, or their son without the full story, whether you agree with it or not.

Any problem caused by a tank Edler can also be solved by a tank Edler.

#33 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

POPULAR

Let's get real here: for all of the moaning by the "how can they knowwww??" crowd, the number of transitioners who express regret at having transitioned is very low, and for those who knew and started transitioning at as young an age as Cory, it's practically non-existent.

You say "but how can a nine-year old know" because YOU can't imagine knowing something like that because it isn't part of who you are, but plenty of LGBT people of all stripes report having "known" all their lives.

#34 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Wrote both my speaches while you were posting, but you are right, just hate seeing people judge other people! But I'll stand on the live, love, laugh advice to Cory

Your niece sounds like a spoiled brat, probably created by parents that didn't teach patience, there by stressing the poor little deary to death....talk about parent abuse! Great decision there!

:picard:

Edited by babych, 30 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#35 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I played my last year of Midget hockey last year and I can tell you that if a player on the team didn't have a penis, someone would notice. It sounds bad, but be it through showering, swimming at a hotel during an away tournament or just changing in general it seems strange that no one would notice.

Checking out everyone's equipment during shower time I see.

Probably easier to hide no penis than a penis though.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#36 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

A 9 year old is, without a doubt, incapable of making a permanent life altering decision like this about themselves. If you think they are you're off your rocker.

And yes, I would absolutely deny a 9 year old child of being medicated simply because they're stressed. Are you kidding me? My 9 year old niece was so stressed that she didn't get to go to Disneyland last summer, maybe we should have put her on medication! I don't need to be a doctor to know that choosing hot wheels over barbies is not a medical issue.

Yes you are right a 9 year old kid is incapable of making permanent life altering decision like this - and that is why the parent made the decision. Its no different than a parent who chooses for their child to go through Chemotherapy to treat cancer. On the one hand there will be horrible side effects which will dimish quality of life but on the other hand it gives increased odds in survival.

It is blatantly obvious that you are neither a parent nor a medical professional, I hope that if you ever do have children that they turn out perfect. I really do. I hope you never have to make a decision in your life as hard as I am sure this one was for Cory's parents.
You think they made a snap decision based on what toys he prefered? That was a beyond ignorant comment. You don't know the day to day lives of these people. So stop acting like you know everything about this family based on an article you've just read.

Finally if you do have more information and you truly believe that there was some form of child abuse then really you need to stop posting here about it and go contact social services so they may investigate the matter further. Though in reality you are just like those other posters who hide behind a computer posting inflammatory and hurtful comments because you are protected by anonominity. I wonder if you would call Cory's parents abusers to their face?
Posted Image

#37 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Damn CDC! Clearly there is more to it than superman underwear. Kids aren't unaware idiots like they used to be they can make decisions on their own. I'm pretty sure the parent were against it but felt that their kid HAPPINESS was more important than how they felt.

#38 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

POPULAR

I find it disheartening to see a few people in this thread being incredibly judgmental and making rude comments about a topic of which they know nothing about. Gender Dysphoria and Gender Identity Disorder are not adult-only disorders. It often begins during childhood and in the past has only been addressed once that person becomes an adult and can take matters into their own hands because it was little understood by medical professionals. But with advances in medical science, the issue can now be addressed earlier. So, calling this "child abuse" is completely absurd. It's like expecting parents to wait until their children are fully grown before letting them wear glasses to correct their eyesight.

The wonderful piece Derek Jory wrote for Canucks.com was not meant to educate you on the complexities of this issue, it was to show how the Canucks organization is being inclusive and reaching out to ALL of their fans, and I vigorously applaud them for that! Unless you've experienced GID or know someone who has gone through it, you cannot possibly know what Cory and his parents went through with their doctors to determine the treatment they decided was right. I highly doubt it was a snap decision or based on the simple fact that "she liked Superman more than Barbie."

Imagine that you are the parent of a child with GID, would it be easy for you to say, "sure let's turn our daughter into a boy!" I doubt it, and I'm sure it was not easy for Cory's parents. And I'm pretty certain the doctors who assisted were extremely careful to make the right decisions about something as complex as this.

One of our writers on PuckBuddys was diagnosed with gender dysphoria years ago and is beginning the process of addressing that for the first time as an adult. She is also a big Canucks fan and wrote a piece published today sharing her own thoughts about Cory and Cory, and how what the Canucks did was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I suggest you read it:

Canucks Take You Can Play to a Whole New Level, and they do it Right!

It's already difficult enough for transgendered people in this world, there are even lots of gay and lesbian people that don't really understand it. But, just because you don't understand something or can't imagine what it must be like doesn't mean you have to condemn it or make baseless accusations.

Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged.

#39 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

People who see this and think, "wow, that is messed up, and just, against the natural order of things." are sort of today's white people.

You know how if a white person makes even a slightly questionable statement against African Americans, they're often painted as ignorant and racist? Well, now, if people who are against things like this (or homosexuals or transgenders or whatever that is a minority), the person who shows disapproval is criticized, insulted, called "ignorant", and is assumed to lack morals or social skills.

:picard: Please define morals for me. It is created by a society to determine what may be accepted and what is not. The same morals may be unacceptable in another society. I don't understand why one can be so up front and public about changing their sex even if it bothers some people, while those people cannot express their disapproval without being hated on.

P.S. 60 years ago this kind of talk doesn't even exist. That family would have been removed from the gene pool.

P.P.S. Still took balls (pun not intended) to make that story public. Whether or not someone calls you out, it can be an embarrassing story.

Edited by LordofBrussels, 30 January 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#40 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I find it disheartening to see a few people in this thread being incredibly judgmental and making rude comments about a topic of which they know nothing about. Gender Dysphoria and Gender Identity Disorder are not adult-only disorders. It often begins during childhood and in the past has only been addressed once that person becomes an adult and can take matters into their own hands because it was little understood by medical professionals. But with advances in medical science, the issue can now be addressed earlier. So, calling this "child abuse" is completely absurd. It's like expecting parents to wait until their children are fully grown before letting them wear glasses to correct their eyesight.

The wonderful piece Derek Jory wrote for Canucks.com was not meant to educate you on the complexities of this issue, it was to show how the Canucks organization is being inclusive and reaching out to ALL of their fans, and I vigorously applaud them for that! Unless you've experienced GID or know someone who has gone through it, you cannot possibly know what Cory and his parents went through with their doctors to determine the treatment they decided was right. I highly doubt it was a snap decision or based on the simple fact that "she liked Superman more than Barbie."

Imagine that you are the parent of a child with GID, would it be easy for you to say, "sure let's turn our daughter into a boy!" I doubt it, and I'm sure it was not easy for Cory's parents. And I'm pretty certain the doctors who assisted were extremely careful to make the right decisions about something as complex as this.

One of our writers on PuckBuddys was diagnosed with gender dysphoria years ago and is beginning the process of addressing that for the first time as an adult. She is also a big Canucks fan and wrote a piece published today sharing her own thoughts about Cory and Cory, and how what the Canucks did was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I suggest you read it:

It's already difficult enough for transgendered people in this world, there are even lots of gay and lesbian people that don't really understand it. But, just because you don't understand something or can't imagine what it must be like doesn't mean you have to condemn it or make baseless accusations.

What I was trying to say but much clearer! TY for that!

Edited by Aladeen, 30 January 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#41 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

This.

#42 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

This is an odd story that belongs nowhere near the Canucks or the NHL. In fact, the Canucks organisation should be ashamed for using this kid's story as a fluff piece and to tout their "humanitarian" marketing agenda. What a load of crap. The Canucks don't care about Cory and his/her struggles through life. They're using it to make them look good and "forward thinking". Wow, he gets to stand next to Cory for 30 seconds. Whoop-di-do.

There are sooooo many more kids with much worse problems in our community than someone having a gender identity crisis. This fragile of a story does not belong in a marketing campaign for a hockey team. And posting on the internet just invites the swarms of trolls that probably make the kid upset (assuming he/she reads it).

Edited by sQuish, 30 January 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#43 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Congrats guys, CDC has successfully turned a feel-good story into a petty argument of "right and wrong". You may not be happy about the circumstance, but Cory clearly is so isn't that all that matters?

Absolutely embarrassing.

/=S=/

#44 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

This is an odd story that belongs nowhere near the Canucks or the NHL. In fact, the Canucks organisation should be ashamed for using this kid's story as a fluff piece and to tout their "humanitarian" marketing agenda. What a load of crap. The Canucks don't care about Cory and his/her struggles through life. They're using it to make them look good and "forward thinking". Wow, he gets to stand next to Cory for 30 seconds. Whoop-di-do.

There are sooooo many more kids with much worse problems in our community than someone having a gender identity crisis. This fragile of a story does not belong in a marketing campaign for a hockey team. And posting on the internet just invites the swarms of trolls that probably make the kid upset (assuming he/she reads it).

This is the most insensitive thing I have ever read. I'm having trouble believing the stupidity I am reading. The one who should be ashamed, is you.

Seriously, the kid seems happy! Let him start enjoying this life that has been so difficult for him!!

/=S=/

#45 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

/=S=/

#46 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

You should take the time to study your statement, "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged". As with most people, you seem to be applying it entirely out of context. (For reference, it is located at Mathew 7:1 but please read the entire chapter or even the entire book to get the proper perspective)

Edited by GarthButcher5, 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#47 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Really makes me think of how a kid at 9-years of age can make their own choice to take pills that diminish the effects of puberty

I guess when you know, you know..

Best of luck to her (him)

Im not going to judge the story but i gotta wonder if the parents jump the gun by allowing a 9 yr old to take hormone blockers

Edited by ccc44, 30 January 2013 - 03:32 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#48 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I can see why some people would be concerned in the case of chemically neutering a fifth grader.

#49 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Interesting...

Good for him. I have no idea what she was going through growing up so I can't comment, but either way what Cory did takes a lot of guts at that age. I wish I had that kind of courage.
Sig too big.

#50 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

When you own a privately owned business, feel free to support whatever issues you wish.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#51 Winger

Winger

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Am i incorrect in saying that he didn't make the decision til he was 14 and a half, having lived with the blockers since age 9? Also if the criminal age of responsibility in Canada is 12, then why is 14 too young?

#52 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

You should take the time to study your statement, "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged". As with most people, you seem to be applying it entirely out of context. (For reference, it is located at Mathew 7:1 but please read the entire chapter or even the entire book to get the proper perspective)

what are you talking about? GayCanuck used that statement in perfect context befitting of his post. If the bible uses it in a different context so what? The bible is not applicable in this case as when it was written there was no such thing as hormone blockers and hormone replacement therapy. Its funny that you accuse him of taking a loose quote from the bible out of context, when you even mentioning the bible in reference to this thread is completely out of context and very irrelevant.
Posted Image

#53 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I know peeps who have gone through this and had a sex change, trust me these people are no better off after having their identity changed.

#54 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I know peeps who have gone through this and had a sex change, trust me these people are no better off after having their identity changed.

huh I wonder what Cory has to say on the subject?

“I went into high school not who I am, but being in grade 10 now I feel very much like part of the high school,” said Cory. “I felt like an outsider, now I have a great support system and a great group of friends, which I’ve never had before. Life is great.”

I don't know anyone who has gone through this and yet in this case it seems like Cory is way better off for having his "identity changed".
Posted Image

#55 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

huh I wonder what Cory has to say on the subject?

[/size]I don't know anyone who has gone through this and yet in this case it seems like Cory is way better off for having his "identity changed".

Lets see where she/he is at in 10 yrs.

#56 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Lets see where she/he is at in 10 yrs.

Please let me know with your gift of foresight :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

POPULAR

You might not want to quote the bible.

Fully agree with people who are against this. No 9 year old should make this decision. Period. The parents are negligent for not having the child wait as it is completely possible for a person to change gender when they are an adult. There is no good reason to rush a life altering decision like this.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#58 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Your niece sounds like a spoiled brat, probably created by parents that didn't teach patience, there by stressing the poor little deary to death....talk about parent abuse! Great decision there!

She's spoiled because she doesn't always get what she wants. Great logic. :picard: besides, I think it was fairly clear that that part of my post was sarcastic.
I don't think I'm too crazy to believe that patience is exactly what these parents should have exercised. Give the kid a few years to grow and a chance to learn how to love their own body for how it is.

I do wish Cory the best though and hope he continues to be happy in life with the decision his parents made.
------------------------------------------------------------

#59 Lemieux

Lemieux

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

This is a sickening story as far as I am concerned. If there had been a life threatening illness, the hormone treatment would have been justified. What has happened to "be comfortable with who you are"? If this girl/boy (sorry I don't know what to call this transexual wannabe) wants to play hockey so bad, there are stars like Wickenheiser who play as graciously as any NHLer. Nowadays kids are so spoiled. If they want to be change their sex when they are in grade three, they are allowed to do what they want. Sometimes, kids need to just s*ck it up and do their work instead of wining.

The great Sir Winston Churchill once warned about perverted science. We are seeing truly perverted science in the 21st century now. IVF is now available to Octomoms and others with wicked sexual fetishes. Hormone therapy is now being abused. I would not have posted this reply had this story been not on the Canucks website.

I won't reply anymore in this threat.
This signature is not blank.

#60 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

what are you talking about? GayCanuck used that statement in perfect context befitting of his post. If the bible uses it in a different context so what? The bible is not applicable in this case as when it was written there was no such thing as hormone blockers and hormone replacement therapy. Its funny that you accuse him of taking a loose quote from the bible out of context, when you even mentioning the bible in reference to this thread is completely out of context and very irrelevant.

The point is that like it or not, the term "Judge not ye be judged" was first stated by Jesus and is a verse from the bible. Given that it was quoted by GayCanuck in his post, it is completely relevant to correct one's intepretation as to what it actually means because it is so often wrongly quoted to try to escape helpful correction or accountability from one's own actions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.