Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

P.K. Subban Tsn Article "NO CELEBRATING IN CANADIENS DRESSING ROOM OVER SUBBAN SIGNING"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Didn't think PK was that disliked.

BROSSARD, Que. -- It wasn't exactly smiles and high fives in the Montreal Canadiens dressing room on Tuesday over the news that P.K. Subban's contract dispute had finally ended.
In fact, the mood was surprisingly chilly on a team that started the lockout-delayed NHL regular season 3-1-0 without the flashy player who was their top defenceman last season.
Subban signed a two-year US$5.75 million contract Monday night and will rejoin the club Wednesday in Ottawa, although when he will play his first game has yet to be determined.
Veteran rearguard Andrei Markov refused to talk about it, saying "He's not in the room yet, so let's talk about it when he's going to be in the room."
And Josh Gorges, Subban's regular defence partner, steered around questions on how he felt.
"To be honest, I'm glad that we don't have to talk about it any more," said Gorges. "It's a non-issue now and we can focus on getting ready to play the games without anything else to think about."
Asked if he was glad to have Subban back, Gorges said: "Like I said, it's good that it's over and done with and it's settled. We don't have to have these talks in the morning of what-if-this and what-if-that. It's over. We can focus on playing hockey."
Often, when a player signs a contract, there are a flood of congratulatory tweets from teammates, but this time, there were only a couple from players who were not on the team last season.
After inking his deal, the 23-year-old Subban he couldn't wait to "reintegrate" with the team.
But it appears he has some work to do with his teammates, even if general manager Marc Bergevin and coach Michel Therrien said they were delighted to have the talented rearguard back in the fold.
Years ago it was common to have players miss training camps and even parts of a season while negotiating contracts, but there have been few since the last collective bargaining agreement following the lockout that wiped out the 2004-05 season.
Now that teams are adjusting to a salary cap that will shrink next season, there were several. Ryan O'Reilly of the Colorado Avalanche is still not signed.
"Obviously, this is an unusual circumstance for us to be in," said Gorges, when asked how quickly Subban will adjust. "I've never had to deal with a holdout situation, a guy coming in late, so we'll take it in stride."
Subban is a gifted player, but teammates roll their eyes sometimes when he draws a crowd of media to his stall and puts on a show. He likes to talk, is often funny and adores the cameras. During the lockout, he acted as a hockey analyst on one TV station and as weatherman one time on another.
He has had a few run-ins with teammates during practices, including a fight once with centre Tomas Plekanec.
Still, he is one of the team's most popular players with fans.
He also got the job done on the ice. Last season, he led the club in average ice time per game at more than 24 minutes. He played with Gorges against opponents' top lines and had seven goals and 29 assists.
"It's excellent news for our organization, we're very happy to finally get him back," said Therrien, who returned to Montreal for a second stint as head coach this season.
When Subban will be back on the ice is another question.
Therrien and Bergevin are to meet with him Wednesday in Ottawa to assess his physical condition and bring him up to speed on the coaches' new system. He's unlikely to play in Ottawa, but should get a practice in before afternoon games on the weekend against Buffalo and the Senators.
Therrien would not say how Subban will be used or how much he will play until he has met him and seen him skate. But he said it was key for any new player coming in to buy into the team's system.
One issue is the power play, where Subban normally plays on the first unit. It has been in the top-5 in the league so far with Markov and Rafael Diaz manning the points.
"I want to keep playing my game and give everything so that we win the game," said Diaz. "At the end, it's the coach's decision."
Subban's return should take pressure off defencemen like Alexei Emelinand Francis Bouillon who have been logging a lot of minutes. And he gives them a blue-liner who can rush the puck out of his zone and up the ice.
"A player of P.K.'s calibre is always welcome in the lineup," said forwardLars Eller. "He's playing a lot of minutes so he's going to be important to us. I'm sure he'll make the team better."
http://www.tsn.ca/nh...754#YourCallTop

Edited by rampage, 29 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Meh, no surprise here. The guy held out, reportedly for a longer term after other up and comers had signed 2 year deals coming out of their entry level contracts. It's standard in Montreal, and I'm sure guys aren't too fond of him for it. They don't seem as though they HATE him though.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 29 January 2013 - 03:35 PM.

/=S=/

#3 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

The team is having success without Subban right now, so it's normal that some players may feel iffy on his return since everything is clicking at the moment, but are unsure what will happen when Subban returns.

However, Subban is a world-class defenceman so I think this is just overblown by the media.

Edited by 250Integra, 29 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wow, some of the other Canadiens quotes are telling below the surface (or taken out of context by TSN)
Posted Image

#5 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

There isn't enough mustard in the world for that hot dog.

I can see why a lot of people don't like him, myself included.

#6 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

The media is likely blowing it out or proportion, but if I were one of the guys in the locker room I wouldn't be too thrilled about the whole thing either. He's a good player, but I'm not a huge fan of him as a person.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

If I was P.K's team mate I would be sick of getting asked questions about P.K

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

#8 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Blown out of proportion. I think most of the frustration stems from the fact the media tries so hard to make a story out of it and the players are annoyed.
Posted Image

#9 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Blown out of proportion. I think most of the frustration stems from the fact the media tries so hard to make a story out of it and the players are annoyed.

I completely agree.The comments made by his teammates after he signed sound much worse on paper than they do in the actual videos. Just sports media causing a stir.

#10 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Why is this whole thing highlighted in grey with black writing behind it?

Are you trying to emphasize the point that Subban is a dark man?
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#11 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Meh I think the whole sports media job he held for a time gone to his head...settle down PK lol

#12 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,040 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

He doesn't come across as being the ideal team mate. Young, cocky, flashy, and unwilling to buy in to the coach's systems is what I see when I look at Subban
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#13 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Didnt he get into like 3-4 fights with his teammates last year? I can see why they're not to thrilled that he's back.

#14 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

He doesn't come across as being the ideal team mate. Young, cocky, flashy, and unwilling to buy in to the coach's systems is what I see when I look at Subban

Key word. Once he matures a little, he'll be more of a team player. Besides, a little cockiness never hurt a player. Look at Heatley!

/=S=/

#15 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,040 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Key word. Once he matures a little, he'll be more of a team player. Besides, a little cockiness never hurt a player. Look at Heatley!

True. It'll be up to his team mates to put him in his place. I like what Eric Belanger said to the media after Nail Yakupov's crazy goal celebration the other night. He was asked what he thought of the celly and basically he was like "it was fine but the rest of us aren't going to chase him around the ice so we can celebrate with him"

It's up to the veterans to keep the kids grounded.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#16 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Why is the media trolling Subban, this stuff is ridiculous.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#17 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

His teammates don't like him because he's black

#18 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

I like the way Subban plays and he is an entertaining guy but as a teammate I wouldn't be too thrilled at a guy sitting out part of the season. Plus he's been in multiple altercations with teammates, so I can see why they may resent him. Obviously we don't know the whole story but when you've been in more than scuffle with teammates, there could be a pattern there.

#19 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

In the old days guys like him were called 'hot dogs'!

#20 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

The media should just stop wasting all our lives with useless articles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.