Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

My car marked up by city workers....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 RottenCanuck22

RottenCanuck22

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hey all,

I was parked in my normal spot outside my house today and slept in. When I woke up, I heard a loud drilling/cutting sound and looked outside to see what's going and saw city workers cutting into the cement right behind my car. I noticed my neighbours car was moved from their original spot (right where they were cutting), so I'm sure the workers must have told them whats going on and to move their car. Nobody told me anything and my car was very close to where they were cutting and they were cutting in the direction of my car. Sure enough, when I go outside and look at my car (right when they had finished), I notice 3 or 4 little burn marks on the back of my car that I've never seen before. I'm pretty pissed off about this... There is a sign saying they are coming back tomorrow and I plan on confronting them about this but something tells me they aren't going to take responsibility... Does anyone happen to know if I can do anything about this? Even though the marks are smallish, in my opinion this is unacceptable. I live in New Westminster by the way.

Thanks

#2 Big Dave

Big Dave

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Take photos NOW of the marks and of the general scene.......your car and the area they were drilling in one shot. Then call ICBC NOW!!

#3 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,451 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Were they city workers if so give the city a call

2gw59ue.jpg

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

#4 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,170 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Going to double up on what Big Dave said. Get out there and document this ASAP

#5 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

don't confront them - there is no benefit to that.

Contact ICBC and the City.
Posted Image

#6 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

maybe they knocked on your door too but you slept well?

pretty crapty situation though.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#7 RottenCanuck22

RottenCanuck22

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have a doorbell that wakes me up if rung.. Even if so, there is multiple cars that park in the area and apartments surrounding my house, they probably wouldn't know whos car it was even though it was parked right infront of my house... No excuse to not ring my doorbell if they even did try though.

#8 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Document it, take alot of pictures, call their employers and if nothing comes of it then take them to court.

Posted Image

#9 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

If you just deal with ICBC you will have to pay the deductible. Ask to talk to the workers supervisor and then go over his/her head if you aren't satisfied.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#10 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

The building inspector or loss management guy will come out and check it out and if evidence shows probably have the city pay for it.Its a pain showing up and trying to figure out what addresses belong to what car when a whole crew is sitting there ready to go.

#11 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

As others have said photos, documentation and witness statements from your neighbours. Keep a detailed journal.

A friend had a similar issue a while back in Burnaby where he discovered that municipal workers trimming trees had damaged his car. They denied liability but in light of his evidence they backed down and paid. In fact in the end we managed to get his entire car re-painted.

Documented things completely and the most important part you MUST serve written notice on the municipality. And note that you only have two months to comply with the proper form of notice. If you telephone they will be very sympathetic and say they will take care of it but will try to drag it out beyond the two month special limitation period.

You must comply with s. 286 of the Local Government Act that states the following:

286 (1) A municipality is in no case liable for damages unless notice in writing, setting out the time, place and manner in which the damage has been sustained, is delivered to the municipality within 2 months from the date on which the damage was sustained.

And if necessary you can sue on your own in Small Claims Court which has jurisdiction up to $25,000 in damages.
http://www.ag.gov.bc...laims/index.htm

But note:

How to serve a notice of claim on a municipality

(1) If a defendant is a municipal corporation, regional district or other local government body, the notice of claim must be served by giving a copy to the clerk, deputy clerk or some similar official.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/LOC/freeside/--%20C%20--/Court%20Rules%20Act%20RSBC%201996%20c.%2080/05_Regulations/18_261_93%20Small%20Claims%20Rules/261_93_04.xml#rule18subrule1
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#12 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

If you plan on getting new tires soon, go out and do a long brake stand right in front of them.

#13 RottenCanuck22

RottenCanuck22

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys... So far I have an appointment at an ICBC claim center and they said just get the supervisors number and ask him about it,also to make sure it was the city and not hired contractor. I may have to do what Westcoaster is suggesting though. Also gonna ask my neighbours if they were given any notice because I know I wasn't.

#14 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I take it there were no signs up on the street prior to the work commencing? There should of been some notice given.. If there was and maybe you just never got the memo your screwed..They won't stop for anything.

Ive seen the cops called out at 7am to knock on an entire townhouse complex to tell ppl to move their vehicles off the street for paving...obviously there were temp no park signs in this case and anyone still asleep had their vehicles towed.. They don't mess around lol.

#15 RottenCanuck22

RottenCanuck22

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

I take it there were no signs up on the street prior to the work commencing? There should of been some notice given.. If there was and maybe you just never got the memo your screwed..They won't stop for anything.

Ive seen the cops called out at 7am to knock on an entire townhouse complex to tell ppl to move their vehicles off the street for paving...obviously there were temp no park signs in this case and anyone still asleep had their vehicles towed.. They don't mess around lol.

There wasn't any signs, I'm sure of it. They didn't even tell my neighbors to move their car, my neighbors were just up earlier than I was and had the common sense to move their car away from them. The neighbors also think that what the workers were doing was probably too far away from my car to affect it but it was only like 8 feet away and they were using some sort of power concrete saw and the direction they were cutting was towards the back of my car. I'm hoping I'm wrong and that the small burn marks were there before but I'm still gonna ask them about it, see what they say, and go from there (even though theyll prob deny even if it was them).

Other then that I guess I'm gonna go to the ICBC claim center and see what they think the marks are from. I only have a $1000 deductible so any damage below that is up to me to pay for so I'm most likely screwed but I guess I'll see what happens.. May very well end up taking Westcoasters advice and writing a letter to the city about it.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.