Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

As U.S. makes smartphone unlocking illegal, Canada ponders mandating carriers unlock smartphones

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

AS U.S. MAKES SMARTPHONE UNLOCKING ILLEGAL, CANADA PONDERS MANDATING CARRIERS UNLOCK SMARTPHONES

Posted Image

http://bgr.com/2013/01/29/canada-smartphone-unlocking-law-310794/

January 29, 2013
at 2:28 PM by Brad Reed

While we don’t expect police will start arresting 9-year-old girls for unlocking their Winnie the Pooh smartphones anytime soon, we can’t say that the newly enacted American law that outlaws unlocking your smartphone sets a good precedent. Contrast this with what our neighbors to the north are pondering: According to CBCNews, Canada’s top telecom regulator wants to not only limit the early termination fees that wireless carriers can charge but also mandate that carriers unlock their smartphones under “reasonable terms.” Even more amazingly,CBC says that the country’s wireless carriers have actually praised the proposed new rules, as a Telus spokesman said they were “a good start to work from.” A public hearing on the proposed rules is scheduled to occur next month.

#2 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Makes me proud to be Canadian, imagine being able to do what you want with something that is yours! What a concept.Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,660 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

What does unlocking a smartphone do?

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

What does unlocking a smartphone do?

lets you use your phone with any carrier.

edit: in other words you are not locked into having to get service from a particular company but can use your phone on any network.

Edited by Aladeen, 29 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,660 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

So say Telus isn't offering the iPhone 6, but Rogers is. I could buy the phone from Rogers and use a Telus plan?!?

#6 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I would rather pay 50 bucks a month with unlimited nationwide everything and have a locked phone, which I would just order through Canada, then whatever crap 50 bucks gets you a month in Canada.

#7 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

For those of us that go international and buy SIM cards once we're on the ground, this is a good plan.

Of course, for those of us that go international, we tend to buy our phones elsewhere than Canada.

#8 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Smartphones, may as well just burn your money.

SYvE9NH.gif

#9 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I would rather pay 50 bucks a month with unlimited nationwide everything and have a locked phone, which I would just order through Canada, then whatever crap 50 bucks gets you a month in Canada.

Well, unlocked phone also has its advantages as you can use it overseas or when you are travelling abroad and just want to pop in a sim card

Posted Image

#10 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Not too shabby.

http://www.fido.ca/w...2&utm_campaign=
Posted Image

#11 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

So say Telus isn't offering the iPhone 6, but Rogers is. I could buy the phone from Rogers and use a Telus plan?!?

Basically. But that wouldn't ever happen, if a major carrier didn't bring in the new iPhone they would lose oodles of cash.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#12 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Most contracts already requires you to pay extra should you terminate it too early.

Well, at least this will make smaller companies who may not lock phones more attractive, thus creating more competition.

#13 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Most contracts already requires you to pay extra should you terminate it too early.

Well, at least this will make smaller companies who may not lock phones more attractive, thus creating more competition.

My carrier (roger's) no longer charges you to pay extra should you terminate your contract but rather they expect to get back the discount received on the phone for signing your contract. This cost decreases month to month by a set amount.
Posted Image

#14 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,336 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

'Murica

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#15 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

There is a strong push in the US to protect proprietary gear on proprietary networks.

#16 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

There is a strong push in the US to protect proprietary gear on proprietary networks.

but the phones will work on any network until the phone company's add software to make them work only on their own network. Unlocking them is actually fixing the crap that was installed by/for the phone companies.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#17 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

but the phones will work on any network until the phone company's add software to make them work only on their own network. Unlocking them is actually fixing the crap that was installed by/for the phone companies.

Not true. Compare the difference between Sprint/Verizon and ATT. While Sprint/Verizon has started to roll out LTE, most of their phones use CDMA whereas ATT uses LTE/GSM.

Edited by jmfaminoff, 02 February 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#18 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Not true. Compare the difference between Sprint/Verizon and ATT. While Sprint/Verizon has started to roll out LTE, their most of their phones use CDMA whereas ATT uses LTE/GSM.

so unlocking a phone then achieves nothing?

#19 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

#20 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

so unlocking a phone then achieves nothing?

You can only use a CDMA phone on a CDMA network. It will not work on an GSM/LTE network. So if you have a Sprint phone and unlock it, you could take it over to Verizon. And if you go to Europe, you may not get a signal at all.

http://mobiledevices...-Preferable.htm

Edited by jmfaminoff, 02 February 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#21 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

So, you say there are 2 competing technology's coming down the pipe. Ok. How many companies are there and will they all choose a proprietary ystem or go with one of the two? Canada has how many CP carriers and how many systems/technologies do we use? How many are there in the states? Seems that the US gov't is making it illegal to move between companies because they think there is an issue. Ever heard of world phones? This is a manufactured issue,

Edited by hudson bay rules, 02 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.