12 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

May be time to check out some of our local municipal workers.

When a small army of road crews left the city’s public works yard, the “hot box” of fresh asphalt in each municipal truck was full and the workers had a list of potholes needing repair.

At the end of the day, the asphalt was gone and workers confirmed their roads had been fixed.

Sixteen of those city work crews, however, were secretly followed by private investigators armed with video cameras and access to GPS tracking devices on the trucks one day in October.

The result of the covert surveillance was unveiled by the city Monday: Almost all those monitored were fired —29 unionized employees, with another two suspended without pay — accused of drawing a day’s pay for, in some cases, just minutes of actual work.

The workers are accused of spending the day in coffee shops, bars, at their homes and running personal errands.

“They weren’t patching roads, they would go and do personal things,” said Lloyd Ferguson, chairman of the public works committee.

“To do less than an hour’s work for a full-day’s pay is unconscionable. That’s why we had to deal with it so swiftly and so severely.”

He called it the largest purge of municipal employees in Hamilton’s history.

What happened to the asphalt is still under investigation.

A city worker told the National Post some employees dumped it into sewers or ravines, while others sold it to private paving companies doing driveway patching.

A Hamilton resident told the Post a door-to-door salesman from a paving firm bragged in the summer he would patch their driveway using genuine fresh asphalt, “the same stuff used by the city.”

Chris Murray, Hamilton’s city manager, said the case started through internal monitoring of productivity that flagged a problem. The city then retroactively checked records on GPS tracking devices installed on most of its work vehicles.

The GPS data showed some trucks had not travelled to the areas some workers had been sent to and for which employees had signed off at the end of the shift as having attended.

Outside investigators were called in, leading to the covert surveillance and further investigation.

“What our evidence reveals is that not only was that work not done, but they weren’t even working,” said Mr. Murray. “What they said happened and what in fact happened were two different things.”

Each of the 31 employees under suspicion was interviewed individually. Only two spoke truthfully about their activities, said Mr. Ferguson.

While the workers who came clean each received a 30-day suspension without pay, the remaining 29 were fired for neglect of duty, theft of time and breach of trust.

That almost all workers who were followed — randomly selected by investigators — were found to be breaching city expectations is concerning, said Mr. Ferguson, who is also an elected city councilor.

“It does beg the question and, believe me, members of council will be asking these questions of how rampant it is,” he said.

The city’s investigation is continuing and Hamilton police has been apprised of the situation, he said.

“There are allegations of asphalt dumping. They haven’t been proven. That’s the next stage of the investigation. Was there any criminal activity, selling asphalt out of the back of these things or dumping it? Where were the supervisors during this? Why didn’t they catch it?”

The workers’ negligence means more than just undeserved wages, said Mr. Murray. Without necessary maintenance being done to the city’s 6,500 lane kilometres of road, the long-term sustainability of its infrastructure is shortened and the unrepaired roads could be a safety issue or contribute to damage of private vehicles.

“Given the age of Hamilton and given the size of Hamilton, for the maintenance not to be done means we have to spend more money,” Mr. Murray said.

“This raises all of our awareness significantly. The expectation management has around performance is a very real expectation.”

That said, both Mr. Murray and Mr. Ferguson praised the “vast majority” of city workers as diligent, dedicated employees.

The fired workers are members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 5167. The city expects CUPE to grieve the firings but calls to the union were not returned Monday.

Mr. Murray encouraged other municipalities to also look closely at their maintenance records.

“I would suspect that this is not unique to Hamilton.”

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Hamilton+city+workers+fired+slacking+company+time/7888604/story.html#ixzz2JQWTWiSp
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Good, these people should think about where the money comes from that pays their wages. Every municipality should enact a program like this. I have seen on many occasions where there is a crew of municipal workers standing around watching one guy work (I assume he is the rookie) I am sure this is not always the case but lets try to be efficient with public funds.
Posted Image

#3 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Good, these people should think about where the money comes from that pays their wages. Every municipality should enact a program like this. I have seen on many occasions where there is a crew of municipal workers standing around watching one guy work (I assume he is the rookie) I am sure this is not always the case but lets try to be efficient with public funds.

Different shovels do different things.. most shovels are only good for leaning against. Municipalities are so corrupt its not even funny, plus they're so incompetent.

#4 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Good riddance, should've been charged as well for robbing the city

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#5 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Don't get me wrong, but what about their supervisor, isn't someone already supposed to go out and check on the work they were supposed to do? Why do they need to hire and pay for all those investigators and further waste tax payers money?

#6 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Different shovels do different things.. most shovels are only good for leaning against. Municipalities are so corrupt its not even funny, plus they're so incompetent.

Nice generalization, there.

Kudos to Hamilton for making it clear to all their employees that such behavior will not be tolerated.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 29 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#7 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Kudos to Hamilton for making it clear to all their employees that such behavior will not be tolerated.

Generalization about what? Municipalities being corrupt?

#8 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Not such a sweeping revelation.

One particular municipality agency had employees engaging in some unnecessary overhauling (i.e. new computers) because they didn't want their budgets slashed. A personal friend of mine spoke of the scandal privately. It was shocking to hear.

Just because it doesn't make the news doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's sickening really.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#9 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,478 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

That's about the most useful responsible thing I can recall a municipal govt doing in a long time.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#10 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, but what about their supervisor, isn't someone already supposed to go out and check on the work they were supposed to do? Why do they need to hire and pay for all those investigators and further waste tax payers money?

Obviously the supervisors weren't doing their jobs.

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Obviously the supervisors weren't doing their jobs.

Most likely the problem actually starts from a supervisor. Chances are if you have a good supervisor you won't take many chances to begin with. But if your supervisor is dragging his feet or sleeping on this job. Well it's open season for everyone else.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#12 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm all for unions. But I'm not for people getting paid for doing absolutely nothing. Unless it's a safety position. Then I prefer them to be doing nothing at all for their money and ready for when something does happen.

Posted Image

#13 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Sounds like it may be time to detail private investigators to check out City of Vancouver road crews as was done in Hamilton.

You hear a lot about bike lanes in Vancouver but it's high time that city council started paying more attention to fixing the other lanes.

Driving around the city these days is becoming an increasingly spine-and suspension-rattling experience due to the lousy quality of the repairs left by city crews after they've dug up a road to, for example, replace a sewer line. Trenches roughly cut into roads, especially ones with cement surfaces, are replaced with uneven, ugly and potentially dangerous blacktop patches.

The city does this because it's cheaper. Work crews even slap down asphalt when they cut through cement sidewalks rather than make a proper repair. Taxpayers deserve better.

The blacktop patches often are not done right: they are either left too high, leaving a bump, or worse, aren't filled in enough, so that the tires of vehicles coming down the road slam into the hard, cut edge of the former road surface. In some places, patches are not poured up to the edge of the hole, leaving dangerous bicycle-tire-grabbing, lawsuit-generating slots.

This kind of slapdash work wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector and it's not what homeowners would allow on their own properties, so why is it OK for the city, especially with its well-paid professional crews and managers? City streets should be repaired to their original standard, so driving down them doesn't feel like taking a buckboard down a Cariboo logging road.

http://www.theprovince.com/City+should+improve+lousy+road+repairs/7903691/story.html#ixzz2JpFtZbT1
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.