The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There is a trend here...........and not a good one.

Bodee

"Well how has MG helped AV recently? (since the SC)"

Look I appreciate that for some of you English may not be your first language but I still thought I was fairly specific.

Instead I get Sundin, Demitra, Hamhuis, sleep clinics, and everything else under the sun kicked into your posts. Instead of just rushing to fire up your computers in indignation read the bloody post.

The post is in defence of the flak you are now happy to load onto AV while MG gets a free pass. One of you hypocrites even had the gall (or was it dumbness) to say "but MG has instilled a winning mentality" So MG gets all the credit when we are winning and is "snow white" when we go through a bad patch.

Just reading some of these posts I really worry about the comprehension of some of you..........well if indeed half of you bothered to read it through.

I'm with TOML, this thread is a joke, you've been sufficiently told by more members than just myself, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. As well your treatment towards some of the posters on here is just plain rude. You'd think an appropriate response to criticism would be to enable discussion, but you insist on insulting members that post here, implying borderline racism about their English comprehension. Enjoy your thread alone, as you have clearly demonstrated you are not worth anyone's time.

"Also, I like how you ignore all the brilliant moves MG has made in his time. Signing Hamhuis and Malhotra, Trading for Ehrhoff, trading for Higgins and Lapierre, signing Torres, etc, were all essential moves to even get into the Cup Final and having successful seasons."

None of that has counted for crap since our 2011 SC failure.

The whole point of the post, if you had read it, is that irrespective of what he did before that cup he has failed to address the real issues which led to our failure. The trend here is his continued refusal to do anything big enough to make a difference, it has all been sticking plasters.

Hi Deb and also a note to the OP Bodee;

Deb; of course packages have to be complimentary to both teams. It's rare that teams steal a player in a deal, as much as that happened to us with Cam Neely, or how we scored Naslund. And maybe Kassian, I am overstating here to be fair, will become the same? Kassian, like Naslund was sort of being given up on. Enough notes have come out about Ruff being happy to be rid of Kass, combined with his performance and fitness level when he arrived, to suggest we again took on (as Bodee calls them) another reclamation project. Well I criticized the trade for the same reasons as Bodee; I could not see for the life of me how a project, who might make it in 2 years, was worth our best prospect since the Twins.

And that viewpoint is valid in last years context. We ran around, even unfairly sat Bitz to let Kass be that elusive physical stud we all know we (especially Bodee :rolleyes: ) were missing. I firmly believe MG got duped, believed Kass would be a more immediate solution and could have done more. For those who say MG is the greatest GM, and Deb who says you need to let deals come together >>>

Lombardi delivered exactly the pieces his team needed. Not rental players either, they will be powerful for years. And in our cup year, even when we signed Sundin, we were more carefully putting pieces we needed in place!

That focus Bodee is speaking of was lost!

But this year Kass appears ahead of schedule. If Kass plays significant time this year on the first line I will eat most of the dead crow i threw on the trade. He appears full value!

For all of the OP's visit to the proverbial Scottish screaching tree, which I found distasteful, he missed articulating his own point. What we really need is someone who delivers the right pieces if we are shuffling parts. Whining about who we lost, in cases like Salo's, is already thoroughly beaten.

What is fair IMO, and people will foolishly debate this, is that our pieces still have not come back together. We robbed from Peter (centre) to pay Paul (RW) in the Kassian trade. Yeah Garrison appears a 220 lb stud defender, also offering a big shot we can use. If he's not a solution yet, he deserves more of a sample size. But geez; we already had THREE left side D, at over $10 mill in cap space. We still need a right handed shot, right side D and a puck rushing whiz. Similarly Booth appears a 217 lb physical specimen capable of 60 points. Oh yeah, we already had 4 left wings capable of playing Top 6 minutes. Even with Kassian, it's obvious we still need more size and we have a gaping hole behind Kesler (ahem) at centre. We signed Schneider, but had Lou, or is it the other way around? We've been accumulating assets so MG is clearly not asleep at the wheel.

But spelling Bodee's rant out more clearly; we're stacked in some positions and still very weak in others in return for the players he is crying about losing (and shouldn't be).

Many here are supporters of Schroeder; if we go into the play off's with an undersized 3rd line centre between Hansen and Higgins we're sunk! At best, Schroeder would need to be flanked by much bigger wings if he is our guy. Look at the 2knd shift of the Sharks game, and you will eerily revisit the Boston finals where the Sedin's were taking defensive draws against a big physical top line. That goes against the grain of every match up we try to set up for the Twins, because if we go with them as a pair we need much better physical depth behind them!

MG still has work to do!

"He should have devised a package that got something "hot" for the pending campaign"...the problem with this is that you can devise all the packages you want, but someone has to accept them at the other end. "Hot" commodities just aren't that easy to acquire (because 29 or so teams are generally interested in those players). It's not like we haven't been in the thick of things, so they haven't missed the mark by much. You don't want to start disassembling a top team in order to tweak a few parts and, often, that's what is required to secure the players you're suggesting. So MG's tried to tweak by keeping his core in place because that's been a pretty sure thing. This chess game requires patience and you don't make bold, brash moves unless they make sense from all angles - not just in the receiving end.

I guess bringing in our best defensemen in Hamhuis isn't "Helping AV enough"

And yeah I saw you said since the SC, but if you are going to make a fair judgment, you have to bring into light everything MG has done for AV in his time here. He gave him the best team this franchise is ever seen and AV turned it into a choker.

Check your facts, Hamhuis virtually begged to come here. Your "fair judgement comment shows you don't understand the OP. This is about getting the pieces to stop a repeat of the our team getting beaten up by more physical teams. Like LA for instance.

What a brilliant idea that would have been.

Hodgson+ for a rental player. Why didn't MG think of it!!

With the cap going down and the mystery box that was the CBA, it is clear MG made the right move in acquiring a young player and that young player is proving to be well worth it.

But it didn't help us did it and I doubt it will help us this season either. I would like it to but I can't see it.

Actually he was "ditched" because we couldn't offer him the deal Tampa Bay could, we didn't want to go longer than 1 year with him, and like I said there is no way we would have been able to give him the deal Tampa gave him, love Sami but for our team it would have handcuffed us.

But we gave Garrison much more for longer to "hopefully do the same thing" We could have just moved Ballard up and filled in at the bottom line with Vandermeer.

It turned out to be the right move, as now with the cap coming down, I can't see a way we would have been able to afford to re-sign Edler and/or Burrows with Sami still here.

As I say, we will see. Sami would, I think have taken less to stay.

People forget how long it took Hamhuis to adjust.

Give it 20 games, the guy is adjusting to a completely new system, and is playing with a defensive partner who is getting adjusted to a new side, and who is shaky to begin with.

Come back in 15-20 games. Fair enough let's make it a season.

:picard:

I guess you don't understand that Florida isn't exactly the richest team in the league and they run on a much stricter budget than we do.

The salary needed to match up for that deal to work. Not hard to figure out why he was in the deal.

Also, give Booth time, it was a great deal.

No one was complaining when he had 12 points in 15 games before that injury, he brings something this team was missing. Way to jump the gun.

I'm just not convinced. (and I'm not alone) I don't like his selfish approach and it won't work with Kes and Raymond. As I say for that kind of money we could have done better.

Alright, we will make a bold move then.

We will make a bold move like the one Nonis was considering making for Brad Richards a few years ago, Schneider, Edler and Bourdon for Richards. You want to make a move like that and cripple our franchise? Imagine where we would be now? Dallas would be a top contender and Richards would be in New York, we would have nothing to show for it.

So what do you want us to do? Jensen, Kassian, Lack and a 1st for Phil Kessel?

There is a reason we don't blow things up and trade our best young assets like that, otherwise I'm sure Brad Richards would have landed and left Vancouver years ago.

Oh and way to consider where we have been drafting. And actually our prospect pool isn't as bad as most think, but go ahead keep playing that stereotype, that's fine.

Well fine let's just sit and moan like we all do on here when we get knocked about and when we meet tough teams. You do realise that we HAVE stood still in terms of physicality (arguable gone back) Other teams haven't. Unless MG pulls something good out of the Lu deal we could possibly not get further than round 1 again.

Now that's just being silly. It was perfectly clear what he meant in each of those instances. I'm not sure some of it was even grammatically incorrect... And all you have to do is read the thread title to pick out a flaw in your grammar.

Kudos for still trying to argue your points, but pointing out comprehension just makes you look immature. More importantly, as a Scot it also reflects badly upon me.

Archived