The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Avs trying to trade O'Reilly?

Hello Canuck Fans,

I think this would be a good option for the Canucks to pursue this young forward.

With no resolution to contract negotiations between the Avalanche and restricted free agent Ryan O'Reilly, Colorado appears to be dangling the young center as trade bait.

O'Reilly's agent, Mark Guy, told TFP the two sides remain far apart and a new deal does not appear to be on the horizon.

O'Reilly is believed to be looking for a deal worth between $3 million and $4 million per season. He collected 18 goals and 37 assists for 55 points in 81 games with the Avalanche last season, when he made a base salary of $900,000.

Drafted by the Avs in the second-round, 33rd overall, of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, O'Reilly spent time playing for Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL before returning to North America this week to nurse an injury to his right foot.

The Avalanche GM Greg Sherman is asking for a young forward and a second-round draft pick in exchange for O'Reilly.

Go Canucks Go :canucks:

Cheers.. :towel:

The Av's cap structure is completely broken. I mean back in their winning days (00-06), they were spending twice as much as they are now. They were also being rewarded by, at one point, having the longest sell out streak. Now? They have David Jones at 4m recently signed Duchene at 3.5m, Parenteau at 4m, all the while refusing to pay their 1st line centre last year a similar pay grade. You have to spend money to make money, you have to have a competitive cap to be a competitive team. It's really a bizare situation there.

OP, if the content you posted was from an article, you should always link the source when posting in this part of the forum. That way, people don't think it's just you posting what you've heard, and we know it's a valid source versus hearing it off of HockeyyInsiderr (who isn't a valid source, along with a number of others that have their own list). You've been signed up for a few years, but don't have many posts so you might not have been aware of that requirement. Just wanted to let you know.

As far as the possibility of us going after him, I'm not sure what we'd give up that they'd want. Booth is good, but not sure if he's what they're looking for, although I'd seriously consider it if they would. It'd have to be a lower pick if we give up someone like him though.

Our other current wingers, like Raymond or Higgins might not add enough for them to get back, and we want to keep our picks for this draft (at least our 1st). Our prospects like Rodin, LaBate, and Grenier won't get it done, certainly not without adding a significant pick or other pieces. We aren't going to move Kassian or Jensen, and I don't think we should move Gaunce either.

Even if we do have pieces they'd like, it's within the current division and they don't want to give us a big piece that will bite them each time we play them every year. We might have to overpay, although it'd be interesting to ask at least.

All that said, I think they'll re-sign him unless A. he's asking for way too much or B. the relationship is fractured. If it's A, I'm not sure he'd fit with us, but if it's B it might depend on why it was fractured but would be much less likely to be an issue.

My preference would be to give him a contract similar to what Subban just signed, where we don't offer him a bunch of years at big money until he's had a second year of increased success. Then he gets a big deal on his 3rd contract taking him out of RFA status.

The Av's cap structure is completely broken. I mean back in their winning days (00-06), they were spending twice as much as they are now. They were also being rewarded by, at one point, having the longest sell out streak. Now? They have David Jones at 4m recently signed Duchene at 3.5m, Parenteau at 4m, all the while refusing to pay their 1st line centre last year a similar pay grade. You have to spend money to make money, you have to have a competitive cap to be a competitive team. It's really a bizare situation there.

Ballard and Higgins for O'Reilly is pretty fair and even money-wise. We need more centers, less wingers. Here's our playoff healthy lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - O'Reilly - Raymond

Weise - Malhotra - Lapierre

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Vandermeer

Barker

Alberts

Wow, fantastic depth at center and on defence which is where you want it for the playoffs. Depth at center is far more important than depth at wing.

Well now that would be a dream come true wouldn't it.

The AVs need a replacement for lesser money.

I would offer Schroeder + Raymond.

They replace their centre prospect spot and replace some goals with Raymonds expiring contract at a very comfortable cap hit. Although they might be looking at defence as well, so Tanev being the only affordable young option could be a target.

That would be an ideal pickup though. Would allow Kes to come back with limited minutes to get into shape.

Archived