918 replies to this topic

#151 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Luongo doesn't need to be a showcased, he's been an elite goalie for like 10 years... It's all about playing the hot goalie and trying to win games.

#152 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

You don't like the idea of Lu playing D?? ::D

Well at least he can block shots. I just don't see why you punish a guy for being asked to play out of position and doing a bad job by putting someone else even more out of position.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#153 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Its a great move by AV or MG because all 3 of the rumoured destinations for Luongo are all watching tonight.

#154 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

AV is just playing the goalie who gives his team a better chance to win. The entire team played pretty similarly against San Jose and LA, the biggest difference was Luongo held his team in it with some fantastic saves and Cory scored on himself (Marleau goal, he pushed it in) and crapped the bed.

This isn't even a decision, Lu's playing unreal right now and Cory isn't. Play the better goalie.

Denial.
In fact, both goalies are pretty much on par with one another. There may be a small difference, but with such a small sample size, one save, one win can make a massive change in stats. Lou is not the clear "better goalie". And he will be traded. But not because CS is just so much better. CS is the better option. He makes more sense for the organization. He's cheaper, he's younger, and he's technically more sound. It's about getting more for less. Nothing more.
Lou is being traded. It's not your fault.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#155 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#156 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image

THis!

/=S=/

#157 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

AV adding to the controversy and messing with Cory's confidence.

When Lu was the starter, he was given numerous bad games to work through it.

AV is handling Cory like he did Hodgson, Linden, Naslund.

What an A$$

He is not sticking to what he did in the past. IN the past, the starter (LU) was given numerous games to get his mojo even though he played like crap. Cory has not been bad (1st game exception) but is now sat 2 games in a row after 4 days off?!!

Cory knows how Lu was handled and he is not being given the same treatment = messing with his confidence.

Um, why should he be treated like Luongo? He does not have the pedigree Luongo has...

Two things.

One, is that when Luongo was given the starter role last season, Luongo was the undisputed starter for his entire 10+ season NHL career, and his backup, Cory Schneider, was an unproven as a starter but a well-established back up.

Two, let's for argument sake assume that Cory is the "starter" this season. The difference here is, this is Cory's first season as the #1 goaltender and he is so far unproven as a starting goaltender. Meanwhile, his backup, Roberto Luongo, is a proven elite starter with a well-established record.

These two situations should not be treated the same because they are not equal. AV is handling it just the right way.

For instance, Luongo's 1st season as a starter was also split around 40 games. It is natural for many starting goaltenders to share the net duties in their first season with a veteran backup or soon-to-be back up.

If Luongo stayed, I didn't expect Schneider to keep the starting role - I expected Luongo to either take it back or at least split the season. It looks like they will be splitting it.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#158 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Well at least he can block shots. I just don't see why you punish a guy for being asked to play out of position and doing a bad job by putting someone else even more out of position.

I think when pressed, Edler tried to bank the puck off the boards. Unfortunately, he still thinks he's playing the left side and those bankshots turn out to be passes into the center of the iice. :lol:

#159 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Guys might be overreacting, it could possibly be because AV wants to play Schneider in the Chicago game.

#160 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

AV would be a fool not to consult with his boss when sitting out a highly-paid player the team may have trouble moving due to a long-term deal with a NMC. Gillis would be responsible for any fallout so it is important to at least have a conversation about it. If you're in a situation where consulting with your boss over a $64 million decision isn't necessary, my apologies,

As to the main topic of the thread, Luongo played well and the team is desparately trying to get what points they can. Last season is not comparable because we were able to risk losing a couple of games to try to get Luongo in a groove. In a shortened season, every point is more valuable and we aren't getting enough of them already.

I prefer Schneider as our starter, but Luongo earned another start with his play against the Kings.

....I would think the goalies salaries don't even play a part in who starts.Correct me if I'm wrong but,Is there much difference between sitting a $5.3m player or a $4.0m player ?

#161 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

So you make the best of a not even bad situation?...you get the luxury of going with the hot hand. In the case that either one can't take the pressure of that? - well, that's a sign in itsef. It's the big boys club and there is no place for ruffled feathers or pouting in the heart of champions. You prove you deserve the spot - a little family competition never hurt anything and it'll make sure no one's coasting. That's my two cents. Go Lu. And Schneids.

And, as above, I'm pretty sure Schneids'll be slated for Chicago. So it's all good.

Posted Image

#162 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

....I would think the goalies salaries don't even play a part in who starts.Correct me if I'm wrong but,Is there much difference between sitting a $5.3m player or a $4.0m player ?

Schneider was not a $4 million player at that point in time. Switching starters in the playoffs had potential long-term consequences (we are seeing them right now). Those consequence are largely Gillis' responsibility not Vigneault's. I'm not saying the decision was dictated by Gillis, but not at least talking to the GM beforehand would be very unprofessional for any coach.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#163 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Is the game not be listed for anyone else on their guide???

#164 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Different year, different situation.

He made the decision last year that has led to the need to trade Lu and now is messing with his replacement's confidence.

Another stellar personnel decision by AV.

You're foolish if you think Luongo doesn't deserve another start after that Kings game.

You're silly.

Posted Image

#165 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Luongo doesn't need to be a showcased, he's been an elite goalie for like 10 years... It's all about playing the hot goalie and trying to win games.

Well said...
That's it. Nothing else... I can't believe the Luongo hater's keep making excuses

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#166 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

You're foolish if you think Luongo doesn't deserve another start after that Kings game.

You're silly.

:( I'm sorry. :bigblush:

#167 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I see the kiddies are setting themselves up for disappoinment. 2-2 tie. Van takes it in overtime 3-2 Van.

#168 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

:( I'm sorry. :bigblush:

No you're not

Posted Image

#169 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I donno why everyone is freaking out about Luo starting. Luo had to get another start after last game. I would prefer give Schnide the start against the hawks anyway and Luo the Avs makes perfect sense.

Edited by honey badger36, 30 January 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#170 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I come back from workout and threads are merged :frantic:

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!

:towel: :canucks: :towel:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#171 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Well said...
That's it. Nothing else... I can't believe the Luongo hater's keep making excuses

What excuses only the media and Canuck fans coming up with negative scenarios that do not exist for the sake of arguement.

#172 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

If the Nucks lose to Col you guys will really have something to bicker over. Not even the absent 2nd line is an excuse to lose to these guys.

4-2 Nucks

#173 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Luongo does not need to be showcased after 10 years of being a solid goalie. Fans actually think Gm's don't know what Luongo is all about. He is only been the starter for one of the NHL's biggest markets, but I'm sure gm's haven't noticed or seen him.

Get freakin real. He is simply starting because of playing a solid game in LA. Say anything else that helps you justify this rather simple and clear reasoning. And people saying its because Schneider is being saved for the Hawks think again. His numbers against the Avs are steller and his numbers against the Hawks are worse than Luongo's.

CS is 3-2 vs the Hawks and a GAA above 4.00....

Edited by cmpunk, 30 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#174 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Stop crying about AV adding fuel to the fire, you people are crazy. Lui has been playing better, therefore he should start.

#175 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Schneider was not a $4 million player at that point in time. Switching starters in the playoffs had potential long-term consequences (we are seeing them right now). Those consequence are largely Gillis' responsibility not Vigneault's. I'm not saying the decision was dictated by Gillis, but not at least talking to the GM beforehand would be very unprofessional for any coach.

...My reference to their salaries are in relation to this season right now.If you re-read your post it would in no way appear you were not talking this season also.No reference to playoffs in your post.

Edited by fagin, 30 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#176 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Honestly I just think AV wants Lou to get his first win of the season.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#177 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,980 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

People reading into this goalie thing are making me laugh.

1. Either goalie would be a reasonable choice.
2. If Schnieder is the bonifide starter it is quite reasonable that they are giving him the Chicago game.
3. Playing Lou against the weaker competition could pad his stats and lead to "the" trade we are all waiting for. If he wins the next 5 in a row GM's will start calling.

Lou played great the other night, too bad he had to get scored on in the last minute. Wasn't really his fault. I don't think he even saw it.

And yeah, Lou is playing slightly better but not by much for all the Lou'vers out there. Cory has been very decent in the past 2. The Sharks wasn't his fault by any stretch.

Edited by Dogbyte, 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#178 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

...My reference to their salaries are in relation to this season right now.If you re-read your post it would in no way appear you were not talking this season also.No reference to playoffs in your post.

The post I had quoted was about the playoffs, but it's a long line of quotes; I should have been more clear.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#179 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,033 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I guess we can take the off the 'Replacement' in the title and make it the 'Official' GDT.

307mg00.jpg

#180 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

People reading into this goalie thing are making me laugh.

1. Either goalie would be a reasonable choice.
2. If Schnieder is the bonifide starter it is quite reasonable that they are giving him the Chicago game.
3. Playing Lou against the weaker competition could pad his stats and lead to "the" trade we are all waiting for. If he wins the next 5 in a row GM's will start calling.

Lou played great the other night, too bad he had to get scored on in the last minute. Wasn't really his fault. I don't think he even saw it.

And yeah, Lou is playing slightly better but not by much for all the Lou'vers out there. Cory has been very decent in the past 2. The Sharks wasn't his fault by any stretch.

Yea because all bonifide starters need 4 nights of rest before they play a rival? And they sit out vs the cup champs and a division rival... cool story. Make a website and tell us all about it

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.