Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Who will start Friday vs Chicago?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will start vs the Hawks Friday? (163 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Will Start Vs The Hawks Friday?

1. Luongo (82 votes [51.25%])

Percentage of vote: 51.25%

2. Schneider (78 votes [48.75%])

Percentage of vote: 48.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

lol dont think they allow mulligans in hockey. if they could take out games 3 and 7 in the boston series and Lus numbers probably would be in the .960 1.30 range

Big difference between game 1 of the reg season and game 3 and 7 of the SC.

#62 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Likewise - take away the Canucks being dead tired the last game and Luongo would have had a shutout.

See - I can play that game.

If you mean the game of being a pompous idiot, then yes, you play it quite well.

The Canucks and the D played way better in front of Luongo, and Schnieder had to face 13 shots short handed, Luongo only had to 3 shots short handed against LA.

In fact Schnieder faced more shots short handed in the SJ (13) game than Luongo has faced in all of his starts combined (11).

Any other questions?

#63 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,688 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

If you mean the game of being a pompous idiot, then yes, you play it quite well.

The Canucks and the D played way better in front of Luongo, and Schnieder had to face 13 shots short handed, Luongo only had to 3 shots short handed against LA.

In fact Schnieder faced more shots short handed in the SJ (13) game than Luongo has faced in all of his starts combined (11).

Any other questions?

Yeah...which games were you watching?
Tell me again how many goals did Schneider let in oh...the first game ?
Right, I remember, 5 on 14 shots.

If Luongo did that you would be screaming at the top of your lungs.

Did you see the Canucks D play bakers? So many turnovers that LA game it was brutal.

Oh, another question I forgot to ask, your first statement is a personal attack isn't it?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#64 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Pretty sure it'll be Schneider for the next two games.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#65 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Okay, Luongo's clearly the No. 1. His morale is high, and he can certainly fend off his arch rival with his stellar goaltending.
Posted Image

#66 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Lack

Posted Image

#67 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Both goalies are tremendous .. I would start Luongo, as he is playing so well .. we have an abundance of riches here .. we should be happy with our circumstance, and stop ripping at each other .. now go out there and play fair .. :P

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#68 PuckProphet

PuckProphet

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

If its CS he gets run out of the game.... But let me say this the half chance you got depends on platooning those 2 and splitting up the twins

Edited by PuckProphet, 30 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#69 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,533 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

As much as I love Schneider.

Play till you lose. Simple.

307mg00.jpg

#70 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

They went with the "ride the hot hands" regiment last season, so I guess Luongo.

Posted Image

#71 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

It wouldn't make any sense to not go with the hotter goalie, especially when we'll be playing chicago.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#72 AlwaysACanuck

AlwaysACanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Except that Luongo asked for a trade. Said he'd waive his no trade and that he wants a new start.

If that's not passing the number one job up here I don't know what is.

No one from the Canucks has officially stated who the number goalie is for this season.
The only comment we have is from AV "I have 2 capable starting goalies".

Yes, if I had to say which one is number 1 and which one is number 2, I would have to say the Schneider is number 1.
Remember, there's no rule stating a number 1 must play 95% of your games (like the Flamez - and how many playoffs have they been to with that goalie management since the lockout?).

Edited by AlwaysACanuck, 30 January 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#73 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

There's no doubt in my mind that Schneider is starting against the Hawks for the following reasons:

1. You can't sit your "number 1" goalie for 3 games in a row.

2. Last year you put Schneider in against Boston/Chicago because you wanted to see how he would do in big games (aka Luongo doesn't play well against them), so what's changed.

3. Schneider won most of the games against these teams last year.

4. See # 2 (Luongo doesn't play well against them).

5. Luongo's playing well, don't make him face his demons and get in a funk.

6. If you are really trying to trade Luongo, don't even chance having him make himself look bad and lowering his trade value.

It's a no brainer in my opinion. If you buy into the b.s. that they are going to play the hot hand, you have to play Luongo (he just got a shutout for heavens sake!), but because its just b.s., Schneider gets the start.

#74 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Luongo is pretty good against Chicago during seasons. I'd start him.
Posted Image

#75 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Except that Luongo asked for a trade./ Said he'd waive his no trade/ and that he wants a new start.

One of those three things is true.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#76 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Patrick Kane wishes it is Luongo....

#77 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Take out the one bad game and:

Schnieder is 2-1 with a 2.00 GAA  and a .935 save percentage.

How about we take out the good games and he has 0 wins..................no waitLet's take out the bad games and he's undefeated with a 100% S.P.............no waitLet's take out all the games ane he's 0-0.There's a reason they call it an "average". You can't just omit bad or good games, because they actually happened.

#78 Goalscorer

Goalscorer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

What a mess!!

#79 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Patrick Kane wishes it is Luongo....

lol Luongo owned Kane last time we played them in the playoffs, I think he scored once that series and he had tons of shots.

AV's job is to win games and put in the guy who gives us the best chance to win, and right now that is Luongo. If the Lu haters seriously think that Schneider is that weak mentally and that his confidence will be shot if he doesn't start friday then he shouldn't be the starter anyways. Schneider will be fine even if he doesn't play friday (but he most likely will play)

Edited by Primus099, 31 January 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#80 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

I had a crazy idea guys, but bear with me.

What if Luongo gets traded tomorrow to Chicago and plays AGAINST the Canucks on Friday? :shock:

I thought for sure Schneider would get the start against Colorado, instead Lou gets the call.

Maybe the Canucks management wanted the fans to see the very accomplished goalie at home one last time.

Maybe Lou already knows it's going to happen....

Just a crazy idea, but that's how things go sometimes.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#81 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Luongo is one of the best goalies in the league right now in terms of GAA and Save % - top 5 in both categories. Meanwhile Schneider is one of the worst.

You should never sit a hot goalie coming off a shutout. Luongo for the start, no questions asked. He's fresher, he's playing better and he's our best. Schneider isn't close to overthrowing this guy just yet.

If Schneider starts then Lu is getting no opportunity at all to reclaim his #1 spot. This is his big opportunity, if he plays well against Chicago then lookout Schneider...
Posted Image

#82 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Except that Luongo asked for a trade. Said he'd waive his no trade and that he wants a new start.

He did not ask for a trade. He said he'd be willing to waive his no trade clause if he was asked.

Luongo should start.

There's no doubt in my mind that Schneider is starting against the Hawks for the following reasons:

1. You can't sit your "number 1" goalie for 3 games in a row.

2. Last year you put Schneider in against Boston/Chicago because you wanted to see how he would do in big games (aka Luongo doesn't play well against them), so what's changed.

3. Schneider won most of the games against these teams last year.

4. See # 2 (Luongo doesn't play well against them).

5. Luongo's playing well, don't make him face his demons and get in a funk.

6. If you are really trying to trade Luongo, don't even chance having him make himself look bad and lowering his trade value.

It's a no brainer in my opinion. If you buy into the b.s. that they are going to play the hot hand, you have to play Luongo (he just got a shutout for heavens sake!), but because its just b.s., Schneider gets the start.

can't tell if srs...who ever said Schneider is the #1? That's right..nobody...Luongo has better stats against Chicago than Schneider does. They played one game against Boston, Schneider still gave up 3 goals. You repeated your dumb point a couple times, then gave more dumb points. Solid.

Edited by Federer, 31 January 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#83 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I would expect to see Cory in next game.

Until a Canuck goalie gets traded, I think we need to try to get away from assigning '#1' status to one or the other. Besides the obvious injury insurance, there are advantages to having this kind of tandem. I wouldn't mind seeing the team run with it for this shortened season, just to see if the benefits can be exploited.

This might sound really stupid (and it may just be), but, come Playoff time, I would seriously consider giving Lu all the home games and Cory all the road games.

#84 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I would expect to see Cory in next game.

Until a Canuck goalie gets traded, I think we need to try to get away from assigning '#1' status to one or the other. Besides the obvious injury insurance, there are advantages to having this kind of tandem. I wouldn't mind seeing the team run with it for this shortened season, just to see if the benefits can be exploited.

This might sound really stupid (and it may just be), but, come Playoff time, I would seriously consider giving Lu all the home games and Cory all the road games.

Doesn't sound like a terrible plan.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#85 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Should be Luongo. I think AV should do what Aaron Ward said on Tuesday night against the Kings(and what I've been saying to people too). Whether they get 5 wins in a row or 10 wins in a row, rotate the goalies at each loss. As an obvious Lou Lover, I was shocked when I saw Luongo was getting the start tonight against the Avs. He did play a solid game against the Kings, yes, but I thought for sure they would go with Cory tonight, especially considering it was a back-to-back.

Though, now that Luongo got the shutout against the Avs and the win, he should get the start on Friday. If we get the win with him on Friday, then he should get the next start, but right when he gets a loss, put in Schneider for the next game and do the same with him., then once the playoffs come by just start the goalie who had the best stats in the season from the "What have you done for me lately" strat.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#86 FelixPotvin29

FelixPotvin29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

AV has always gone with the original plan when it comes to who starts. Plan was luongo for the avs and Schneider for the hawks. What I would like to see is what happend in the Chi/Min game last night. Harding let in 2 questionable goals in the first and bam, pulled. Backstrom goes in and they end up winning the game. AV always seems to switch goals 1, 2, or even 3 goals too late.

#87 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

Should be Luongo. I think AV should do what Aaron Ward said on Tuesday night against the Kings(and what I've been saying to people too). Whether they get 5 wins in a row or 10 wins in a row, rotate the goalies at each loss. As an obvious Lou Lover, I was shocked when I saw Luongo was getting the start tonight against the Avs. He did play a solid game against the Kings, yes, but I thought for sure they would go with Cory tonight, especially considering it was a back-to-back.

Though, now that Luongo got the shutout against the Avs and the win, he should get the start on Friday. If we get the win with him on Friday, then he should get the next start, but right when he gets a loss, put in Schneider for the next game and do the same with him., then once the playoffs come by just start the goalie who had the best stats in the season from the "What have you done for me lately" strat.

That seems like a reasonable plan on paper, but this season is highly condensed, and as a result it is unwise to ride one goalie too much. I do agree that the tough starts should go to whoever is winning at the time, but of course back to backs and busy weeks should be met with a tandem.

Also, of course discretion is key as well, given that if someone plays lights out makes 40+ saves and we lose then they deserve another game.

#88 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

McClennan on That's Hockey and Garry Valk on Sportsnet both said they would go with Luongo on Friday.

So we'll just have to wait and see what happens

#89 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

This is all true but keep in mind that Luongo has been one of the top 5 goalies in the league for quite awhile. But he has also been on the market for 8 months with nobody making any real serious offers. It comes down to his contract. Its not too bad of a contract if he looks like he has the last couple of games. But if he looks average or slightly above then its not a cap hit worth taking on. We all know how good Luo is but it doesnt hurt showing that he still has what it takes to be dominant. It doesnt hurt to pump his tires in order to get GMs out there to stop kicking the tires.

#90 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Lou pitches a shutout tonight and gets the start Friday in the biggest game of the year. Schnieder then tells Gillis he wants out but Lou interjects and says "nu-uuh, I wanted out first so you have to suck it up cupcake, I'm outa here." Schneider's agent has clandestine meeting with Peter Chiarelli professing his client would like to 'come home'. Chiarelli calls Gillis and offers Rask and Marchand for Schneider and Raymond (because Boychuck needs a room mate on the road). The 'new look' Canucks go on to the SCF against the Bruins and lose it in a route in game 7. Fans riot but this time the riot squad makes short work of it with water cannons and a couple, who've decided to show their affection in the middle of Robson street, drown in the excess water. No significant damage to local businesses reported.

True story.

Lou pitches a shutout - check

Gets the start against Chicago - "_______"

Schneider starting to squirm and texts his agent

Check back often for updates. They don't call me Eklund for nothing.....

Edited by Clinch16, 31 January 2013 - 06:40 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.