The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposed Gun Control Legislation Does Not Violate Second Amendment - Say 52 US Law Profs

Wetcoaster

The briefs were not ignored.

Four of the Justices dissenting from the five Justice majority accepted the premise that the phrase well-regulated militia controlled the following words which had been the law up to that point and that there was no independent individual right to bear arms.

As the article points out the majority accepted that even under their new interpretation of the Second Amendment, gun control legislation was constitutional but it was not possible to ban handguns for the purpose of self-defence.

You know what...I could live with that. Absolutely. Ban these extraneous weapons with no other real purpose but allow handguns for self defense. This is a compromise that would work if people would understand what it's saying...all the gun nuts are seeing reading that is "they're still takin' our guns..." Moderation is the key and in my opinion moderation on gun control is the only possible solution.

Sigh...but I forget this is the United States of America...land of the corpulent, home of the Whopper...Moderation isn't in our vocabulary.

<p>

Dr. H. Wayne Carver, the state of Connecticut's Chief Medical Examiner whose office did the autopsies says otherwise. Carver himself had examined seven bodies —all were first graders. They had been shot at least three to 11 times, he said.

Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle at close range to kill children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday.

"I believe everybody was hit more than once," said Dr. H. Wayne Carver, the state of Connecticut's Chief Medical Examiner.

He said the bullets were uniquely damaging and that Lanza's victims died almost immediately.

"The bullets are designed in such a fashion the energy is deposited in the tissue so the bullet stays in," Carver said. He described the wounds as a "very devastating set of injuries."
http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=17984499

Going by names alone I would guess that the number of gentile whites--the nation’s founders and authors of the constitution now undergoing reinterpretation--willing to put their name to that rag is maybe 20%.

If the federal government takes its policy cues from similarly constituted groups, perhaps the denizens of fly-over country would be better served by cutting ties with Washington and getting their own government.

For those in the nosebleeds, merrily ignorant of US history, to say nothing of contents of the “federalist papers,” for the umpteenth time: it’s about preventing government excesses, not hunting bambi.

Just quoting what a co-worker of mine said to me yesterday - he's American and lives in Kentucky.

He has a glock and did service in the US Army. He believes in the 2nd amendment but also believes no civilian should ever own an assault weapon. He said one of his redneck cousins owns an AR-15 - he meant to say 800 rounds per minute (not 8000).

Page 2 -- "Facts about your Bushmaster XM15-E2S.". Hope you trust Bushmaster over your friend about the specs of their own guns.

http://www.ar15.com/..._bushmaster.pdf

These are not submachine guns. I would suggest watching this Senator's explanations about the stigma of "assault rifles" and the demonising of the way they look, as well as the sensibility of such targeting of these weapon times like the way Feinstein and the public do. (fast forward to 5:30:00 and beyond if you wish to avoid the other stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6gZU01yF8

You know what...I could live with that. Absolutely. Ban these extraneous weapons with no other real purpose but allow handguns for self defense. This is a compromise that would work if people would understand what it's saying...all the gun nuts are seeing reading that is "they're still takin' our guns..." Moderation is the key and in my opinion moderation on gun control is the only possible solution.

Sigh...but I forget this is the United States of America...land of the corpulent, home of the Whopper...Moderation isn't in our vocabulary.

The point you're missing is that in the dozen or so threads that have come up since Newtown, those of us that you characterize as "anti-gun lunatics" have been calling for just this sort of compromise. No banning of handguns, no banning of huntimng rifles. Just the limiting of the power and capacity of certain weapons, such as semi-automatics.

The other side of the argument (which Wetcoaster has been kind enough to post in the OP) are the ones opposed to compromise of any kind. Lapierre even goes so far as to call the fact that people want to debate gun legislation "tragic". Which is ironic. since the usual cast of gun-supporting characters on CDC like to refer to our arguments as "hyperbole".

Mr. Lapierre should learn the true meaning of the word tragic. Tragic is 20 families who have to carry on without their child, because clowns like Wayne Lapierre spew this kind of tripe and Millions of Americans buy it.

The point you're missing is that in the dozen or so threads that have come up since Newtown, those of us that you characterize as "anti-gun lunatics" have been calling for just this sort of compromise. No banning of handguns, no banning of huntimng rifles. Just the limiting of the power and capacity of certain weapons, such as semi-automatics.

The other side of the argument (which Wetcoaster has been kind enough to post in the OP) are the ones opposed to compromise of any kind. Lapierre even goes so far as to call the fact that people want to debate gun legislation "tragic". Which is ironic. since the usual cast of gun-supporting characters on CDC like to refer to our arguments as "hyperbole".

Mr. Lapierre should learn the true meaning of the word tragic. Tragic is 20 families who have to carry on without their child, because clowns like Wayne Lapierre spew this kind of tripe and Millions of Americans buy it.

Why your arguments (and others) related to the gun topic are often called hyperbole is because of just that, you use hyperbole.

And once again you fail to disappoint, blaming Wayne Lapierre's "spewing of this tripe" for Adam Lanza going on a shooting rampage.

So why again should people like this be taken seriously on Capitol Hill? Or in a court?

Why your arguments (and others) related to the gun topic are often called hyperbole is because of just that, you use hyperbole.

And once again you fail to disappoint, blaming Wayne Lapierre's "spewing of this tripe" for Adam Lanza going on a shooting rampage.

So why again should people like this be taken seriously on Capitol Hill? Or in a court?

Archived